importing a car

Discuss how to import cars privately, dos and donts, Japanese imports, German imports, Right-Hand-Drive, ....

Moderator: azi malik

importing a car

Postby tarunkg on Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:08 am

Can we import a 7 year old car in UAE ?
tarunkg

My Ride: I don't know what I ride
My Profession: Service
My Dream Ride: Hona

Re: importing a car

Postby root on Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:06 pm

Yes!
Come and discuss at the most lively forums about Cars, Bikes, 4x4s...at http://www.autodealer.ae at the Autodealer UAE Forums.
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

My Ride: VW Touareg V8 2005
My Profession: Car Enthusiast
My Dream Ride: This month: Nissan GT-R

Postby root on Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:46 am

Just to elaborate...there was earlier a rule that 10 year old cars would not be allowed to get registered, but that law was removed before it came into effect by the Ruler.

As long as your car passes the vehicle test, you can register it. Also it has to be LHD and non-converted, and non-tuned.
Come and discuss at the most lively forums about Cars, Bikes, 4x4s...at http://www.autodealer.ae at the Autodealer UAE Forums.
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby tarunkg on Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:30 pm

Thanks root for your information. Is this rule valid for all the emirates? I hard last year Dubai government stopped importing vehicles older than 5 years.
tarunkg

My Ride: I don't know what I ride
My Profession: Service
My Dream Ride: Hona

Postby root on Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:00 am

Yes, its valid for all Emirates!
Dubai was the one who wanted to stop older cars, but Abu Dhabi put a stop to it.
I am pretty sure you can import older than 5 year old cars - otherwise a lot of those car dealers that import used cars from US would have to close shop.
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby thedon on Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:53 pm

importing old cars?? hi, i have just done exactly that with no problem at all. a 1998 bentley continental r from us of a.
car was shipped to jebel ali port, custom checked (about 4 days) paid duties etc via receiving agent and it was delivered to my front door by trailer. when i do it again (which i intend) i will have it delivered to RTA and immediately put it through the test/registration process. you can however get temp 48hr import plates which allow you to get it to RTA.
if it is usa or not gcc spec then you will have to pay a bit more for registration but it is not serious.
i want to start a collection of "interesting" cars here in Dubai -of which there are not many- everyone going for the latest models but usa does offer some rerally nice classic cars at good prices and the shipping and duty(5%) still makes it an attractive option. anybody interested?
thedon

My Ride: jag xj8
My Profession: designer
My Dream Ride: bentley 2003 azure

Postby Brembo on Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:02 pm

from which us port did you ship from? what size container? how much did shipping cost?
how much did you pay the clearing agent? any other fees at the us or uae side besides the import duty?

i am very much interested but i have to save up lots more cash and then i will be done handing over my money to the uae stealerships

sorry for asking so many questions hehe
Brembo
Street Racer
Street Racer

My Ride: riced up honda civic
My Profession: delivery boy
My Dream Ride: toyota corolla white

Postby thedon on Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:31 pm

hi brembo. glad to help.
car came through miami as car was bought in florida....though easier i am told through other ports. cost was ~$2750 inc full insurance plus 13500aed this end for clearing agent, jebel ali port clearance and customs duty(5% of purchase price)and doorstep delivery.
car was in a 2 car closed container- so had to wait for a second car to come with it which delayed things. ro ro is cheaper i believe.
needed clear title in my name from usa, copy passport etc, miami need your power of attorney for car handlers - visit us consulate here for notarised document 70aed i think. then wait ~5 weeks for it to arrive.
thedon

Postby Brembo on Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:21 am

13,500 for the clearing agent seems pretty high, does that include the 5% duty also?

do we really need a clearing agent? i know it might take a day running around but im sure it can be done ourself.
Brembo
Street Racer
Street Racer

My Ride: riced up honda civic
My Profession: delivery boy
My Dream Ride: toyota corolla white

Postby thedon on Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:47 am

hi brembo. yes 5% was included and cost just above half of the 13500 but was an expensive car anyway-- :) not available here. you will need a clearing agent usually nominated by the US shipping company sending the car who they are used to dealing with here. you can deal with some of the collection stuff yourself. i didn't have the time so opted for door to door delivery.good luck--it is fairly painless. :)
thedon

Postby M3bmw on Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:22 am

hi thedon. what shipping company did you use for your car?
M3bmw

My Ride: Carbon Blk Bmw 2004
My Profession: mechanic
My Dream Ride: aston martin

Postby M3bmw on Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:25 am

Can anyone tell me of a shipping company that will take care of door to door from the usa, including the RTA?
M3bmw

My Dream Ride: aston martin

Postby root on Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:10 am

Search on these forums. There are some agents that posted their phone numbers providing such services earlier.

I personally think, you will be better off dealing with 2 companies. One in USA doing the export and putting it on a ship, and one in UAE receiving it and getting the rest done. Haven't heard of international transfer ones, but if there are any, they will charge you for that 'extra' service.

You could probably go to one of the dealers in Al-Awir Auto complex, and ask them if they can arrange it for you. Many of them regularly import cars from US and get them registered here. They have their partners/agents in US that do the US side of the work. They themselves are not freight forwarders, but would know who to use, and what the proper rates are.
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby M3bmw on Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:41 am

thank you
M3bmw