American Specs vs. Gulf specs

Discuss how to import cars privately, dos and donts, Japanese imports, German imports, Right-Hand-Drive, ....

Moderator: azi malik

American Specs vs. Gulf specs

Postby djemini on Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:28 am

What's are the differences between the two?
djemini

Re: American Specs vs. Gulf specs

Postby T.N.T on Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:53 am

Not much I guess. Speedo?
Give respect, get respect.
T.N.T
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Postby root on Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:45 pm

Well, apart from the speedometer in miles, traditionally it was the radiator was not tuned for such hot temperatures here. Also the Air conditioning might not be as heavy duty as you require over here.

However, southern US is pretty much the same weather as here like in Arizona, Nevada, Texas, so any car that works there oughta work here.

Another thing to remember is some of the new features like GPS navigation maps, remote assistance, etc. These do not work over here without modifications and sometimes not that easy to load a new map. Varies per car.
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

My Ride: VW Touareg V8 2005
My Profession: Car Enthusiast
My Dream Ride: This month: Nissan GT-R

Postby MJB on Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:50 pm

I realize this thread hasn't been active in a while, but I just wanted to offer my two cents. I recently looked into exporting a Gulf Specs car (2006 Volvo) to the US and was told I would have to shell out about $3k US (approx 11K AED) for the conversion. Besides the usual modifications like the governor and cluster (odometer/speedometer/etc), I would have to get a catalytic converter and a CO2 (Carbon Dioxide) sensor installed. My husband and I decided it was more trouble than it was worth, and sold the car instead. -MJB

p.s. I miss my Volvo :-(
MJB

My Ride: a bucket of bolts
My Profession: professional
My Dream Ride: a broom

Postby root on Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:17 pm

Yeah, exporting cars from here to US and EU (with the new Green rules) is a lot more difficult than the other way around.

There was a Romanian guy on this forum a while ago who had a similar story with a Made in Germany Audi Q7 which would need work of several thousand Euros to import back into EU as the models here did not fulfill all the emission requirements.
Come and discuss at the most lively forums about Cars, Bikes, 4x4s...at http://www.autodealer.ae at the Autodealer UAE Forums.
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ballplayer22 on Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:10 pm

MJB, looking at the testing requirements document I received from the Abu Dhabi Traffic Department, November 2008, there are thresholds for Hydrocarbons and CO levels. I'm wondering how these levels can be achieved without a Catalytic Converter or Oxygen Sensor installed in the GCC cars? Maybe the new cars are coming equipped with such? I am also looking for that "golden" factual technical answer to what the differences are... maybe it varies by vehicle? Any takers???
ballplayer22

My Ride: Undecided...LOOKING!!
My Profession: Metrology Teacher
My Dream Ride: BMW Landshark or Turbo Mini C.

Postby Umer on Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:59 pm

I am using american Spec. Toyota Land Crusier and found no trouble in aircondition or radaiator. The speedo metere have both miles and KM.
Umer

My Ride: Toyota Land Cruiser
My Profession: Business
My Dream Ride: Rolls Royce Phantom

Postby root on Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:21 am

ballplayer22 wrote:I am also looking for that "golden" factual technical answer to what the differences are... maybe it varies by vehicle? Any takers???

No takers ;)
I have not heard of any recent 5-10 year old vehicle from US not allowed due to different exhaust or environmental regulations.

The only real addition I've found in Gulf specs is the annoying warning beeper at 120 km/h ;)
Come and discuss at the most lively forums about Cars, Bikes, 4x4s...at http://www.autodealer.ae at the Autodealer UAE Forums.
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby 890 on Sun May 03, 2009 6:25 am

Hi there! My name is Steve. I am a licensed independent car dealer on the East coast of the United States. If there is a particular American specs automobile you are interested in, with my contacts I can source for you just about anything you can dream of. Also because of my contacts I can get them for the best prices and I can arrange for shipping by ocean freight directly to you. If there is anything I might be able to do for you please give us a try!

Steve Martin
SUN CONSULTING LLC
steve@smoothsayer.com

My Ride: 2000 Racetech Rear Engine 4-link dragster
My Profession: auto dealer
My Dream Ride: NHRA Pro Stock

Postby jontyrhodes on Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:04 am

There are if any, very few cars that come sold as "GCC spec." There are no mainstream cars that come made specifically for the GCC other than minor modifications. American cars that are made in europe, come to us as EDM, the Japanese cars come to us as JDM models. Very few if any have GCC specific models. This is wyh even though we say they are made for the GCC have better AC's etc, it is not necessarily the case. Some cars esp. American ones do find it hard to cool at all in Oman's weather.

The main differences in models by far is engine capacity and tuning. In the GCC, there are no mainstream market cars that come with high engine capacities and either turbo or super-charged. There are a few exceptions though like the HEMI. The price difference is because of the agencies here in Oman, they charge a huge profit margin, as there is only one Toyota dealer in the whole country for example, while there are thousands in the US, thats why you find improted pre-sued car cheaper. There is a difference between US & GCC "specs", US specs are better in all aspects except sizes of radiators and AC condensors, but you can change these two items in the US before shipping.
jontyrhodes

My Ride: I don't know what I ride
My Profession: Networking
My Dream Ride: BMW

Postby uarsales on Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:29 pm

Hello my name is Alex,
i have been exporting cars and motorcycles for now over 20years . Once a new shipping location is determined , it is also important to check the viscosity of oil for Engine transmission etc. Very important specially on exotic cars Italian etc. Also important AC update , Oil cooler if not standard for towing /pick up trucks etc .
If anyone needs any help let me know ursales@gmail.com
uarsales

My Ride: Different Cars all the time
My Profession: Export-Purchasing Administrator
My Dream Ride: Ferrai GTO

Repairing car with USA specification Dubai-who is able to wo

Postby presbylux on Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:08 pm

Hi everyone,

I have a Hyundai Santa Fe imported from Alabama with US specification.

I am in a trouble here in Dubai, I didn't find anyone able to work on US specification.

Some technicians in different garages told me that they don't have the software for US specification.

I tried 4 different garages the last on, has worked on.
But It's worse than before currently my car doesn't have powerful. ( Its a V6 but if Push the gaze the reaction is not like a V6 it's like a small car)

I need to find a good garage able to work on a car with US specification.

Could you help me?

Sabine
presbylux

My Ride: Hyundai Santa Fe (Imported In UAE from Alabama With US technical specification)
My Profession: finance
My Dream Ride: ...

Return to Imported Second Hands