Bmw, GM may collaborate on future technologies

Stay current with daily news updates from local and international press.

Moderator: azi malik

Bmw, GM may collaborate on future technologies

Postby azi malik on Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:45 am

2012_bmw_m6_coupe_live_5__medium.jpg
2012_bmw_m6_coupe_live_5__medium.jpg (46.46 KiB) Viewed 10998 times
Talks are ongoing between BMW and General Motors about the possibility of collaborating on future technologies. BMW is also considering extending its cooperation with PSA Peugeot Citroen on gasoline engines. At the Geneva Auto Show, BMW CEO Norbert Reithofer told reporters that the luxury automaker “can imagine" having a cooperation partner in North America. Reithofer didn’t give details on what particular areas the talks were centered on. He emphasized that Peugeot also has several partners for cooperation, a strategy that BMW is using too. On Feb. 29, a global alliance was entered between GM and Europe's second biggest auto manufacturer. This permitted GM to own a 7% stake in Peugeot. The poor sales and overcapacity in Europe have put the French car maker and Opel-Vauxhall (GM's European division) at a far from ideal position. Reithofer said that Peugeot’s tie-up with GM doesn’t affect the French firm’s joint venture with BMW. It also doesn’t have an impact on projects for the joint production to make 4-cylinder gasoline engines. He pointed out that it’s possible that when contracts expire in 2015, the cooperation would be extended.
azi malik
F1 Racer
F1 Racer

My Ride: I don't know what I ride
My Profession: automotive consultant
My Dream Ride: dunoo

Return to Latest News