2012 Shelby GT500 coming with a 650 hp turbocharged engine

Stay current with daily news updates from local and international press.

Moderator: azi malik

2012 Shelby GT500 coming with a 650 hp turbocharged engine

Postby azi malik on Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:34 pm

Ford Special Vehicle Team has released a new range of products and will continue to reveal new cars for the 2013 model year. What SVT is now is a huge jump from what it was a few years ago. SVT, together with new partner Ford of Europe’s Team RS, will double its lineup aside from updating an existing vehicle. The Focus ST is what Ford’s two wholly owned performance teams will be jointly working on first. It will make use of Focus’s five-door hatch body style and it will be powered by a 2.0-liter I4 EcoBoost engine that could deliver up to 247hp.

The vehicle will be produced in Wayne, Michigan and Saarlouis, Germany for North America and Europe. Meanwhile, exports will be sent to Australia and New Zealand. So far, there has yet to be confirmation on what plants will produce the vehicle. SVT’s second new model in the range will be the second generation Fiesta ST. The official performance details were not revealed yet. A Ford insider said that the Fiesta ST with its 1.6-liter I4 EcoBoost engine can develop 180hp.

The differences between the European and North American models will be related to engineering and design. The Fiesta ST for Europe will feature a three-door body style while the North American model will be available in the five-door body style. To update GM’s release of the 556hp Chevrolet Camaro ZL1, Ford’s SVT will equip the 2013 Shelby GT500 with a new turbocharged engine instead of the current supercharged 5.4-liter engine delivering an impressive 650 hp, according to FordInsideNews. This engine will definitely make the car faster than the Camaro ZL1, but we do expect some official information in order to see some real numbers.
2012_shelby_gt500_burnout__medium.jpg
2012_shelby_gt500_burnout__medium.jpg (29.34 KiB) Viewed 17998 times
azi malik
F1 Racer
F1 Racer

My Ride: I don't know what I ride
My Profession: automotive consultant
My Dream Ride: dunoo

Return to Latest News