Two Saudi women drive in Riyadh

Stay current with daily news updates from local and international press.

Moderator: azi malik

Two Saudi women drive in Riyadh

Postby azi malik on Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:54 am

sau_driving.jpg
sau_driving.jpg (40.63 KiB) [ Viewed 9331 times ]
sau_driving.jpg [ 40.63 KiB | Viewed 9331 times ]

DUBAI: A group supporting a campaign to end Kingdom’s male-only driving rules says two more women drove through the Saudi capital — and one even encountered an apparently sympathetic policeman.

The group, Saudi Women for Driving, says the women drove in Riyadh on Wednesday. Last Friday, more than 40 Saudi women got behind the wheel to launch the campaign.

One of the women joining the latest protest said she and her mother were spotted driving and were stopped after turning the wheel over to their male companion. Sara Al-Khalidi said the policeman didn't seek to make an arrest and privately urged them to drive at night to avoid drawing attention.

She said that “people encourage me when they've seen me driving these last few days.”

Azza Shamassi, in her thirties, said she had driven her car Wednesday, just as she has done “everyday since last Friday,” despite a harassing message stuck to the windscreen of her car.

The handwritten note read, “Plz do not drive” on one side and carried an insult on the other, witnesses said.

“This threat will not stop me,” Shamassi said.
azi malik
F1 Racer
F1 Racer

My Ride: I don't know what I ride
My Profession: automotive consultant
My Dream Ride: dunoo

Return to Latest News