2012 Honda Accord Coupe EX-L Navi: Review notes Read more:

Discuss the best sedan 4-door to get or not to get....

Moderator: azi malik

2012 Honda Accord Coupe EX-L Navi: Review notes Read more:

Postby azi malik on Thu May 10, 2012 8:13 am

ROAD TEST EDITOR JONATHAN WONG: A new generation of the Accord will debut this fall, packing a new family of engines and transmissions (including a CVT, which saddens me), but the 2012 Honda Accord is still selling well and stands up well to competition. In particular, the Accord coupe equipped with the 3.5-liter V6 and six-speed manual remains a very strong player. When you think about it, there aren't many cars playing in this midsize front-wheel-drive-coupe space anymore. It's just the Accord and the Nissan Altima coupe. Between the two, I've always tipped my hat toward the Accord.

accord-coupe-beauty.jpg&MaxW=630.jpg
accord-coupe-beauty.jpg&MaxW=630.jpg (38.68 KiB) [ Viewed 746 times ]
accord-coupe-beauty.jpg&MaxW=630.jpg [ 38.68 KiB | Viewed 746 times ]

This V6 is one of the smoothest powerplants out there, with good thrust and throttle response. Then pair that with an ultraslick six-speed shift-it-yourself gearbox, and you have quite the entertaining drivetrain combo. The clutch is easy to work, and going up or down gears is a cinch.

Toss the Accord coupe around and it will push into corners, which is to be expected from a front-wheel driver tipping the scales at more than 3,400 pounds. The all-season Michelin tires don't help matters, either. But most people looking for a large coupe such as this won't be taking it out to an autocross or track day. This is a daily driver that has enough power and ability to make the commute home a little fun to attack a few curves and blast off from stoplights. Breaking the front tires loose is easy.

accord-coupe-cockpit.jpg&MaxW=630.jpg
accord-coupe-cockpit.jpg&MaxW=630.jpg (30.19 KiB) [ Viewed 713 times ]
accord-coupe-cockpit.jpg&MaxW=630.jpg [ 30.19 KiB | Viewed 713 times ]

In addition, there's a surprising amount of room in the back seat for two average-size adults. I had a couple of passengers in back over the weekend and both were happy with the amount of legroom and headroom they had. There's also a lot of cargo-carrying capacity in the trunk.

From the driver's seat, I know some will complain about the numerous buttons on the center stack, but I didn't have a problem navigating through them and controlling climate, audio and navigation functions. The front buckets are firm, and I would prefer larger side bolsters, but I did embark on a few long drives during my time with the Accord coupe and felt fine after logging over seven hours behind the wheel.

accord-coupe-front.jpg&MaxW=630.jpg
accord-coupe-front.jpg&MaxW=630.jpg (32.89 KiB) [ Viewed 738 times ]
accord-coupe-front.jpg&MaxW=630.jpg [ 32.89 KiB | Viewed 738 times ]

With the Accord coupe V6 equipped with the six-speed manual, you have a two-door that's practical, reasonably entertaining to drive and has clean, semi-sporty looks.

accord-coupe-grille.jpg&MaxW=630.jpg
accord-coupe-grille.jpg&MaxW=630.jpg (37.37 KiB) [ Viewed 716 times ]
accord-coupe-grille.jpg&MaxW=630.jpg [ 37.37 KiB | Viewed 716 times ]

EXECUTIVE EDITOR ROGER HART: I'm a big fan of the Accord coupe. Of all the Accords, this one, with the six-speed manual, is the best driver. The shifter and clutch actuation are spot-on, and it is a joy to row through the gears. I found the throttle fairly light, responding instantly to inputs. That's not something I am used to in these days of electronic throttle actuations. But this one I like.

The interior may be the only downfall in the Accord, in that the dash and the center stack are quite busy, and I'm not a big fan of the huge setback for the navigation display. But it all works, and works well. The Accord is a smooth operator, and in this guise, very fun to drive.

accord-coupe-navi.jpg&MaxW=630.jpg
accord-coupe-navi.jpg&MaxW=630.jpg (34.54 KiB) [ Viewed 702 times ]
accord-coupe-navi.jpg&MaxW=630.jpg [ 34.54 KiB | Viewed 702 times ]

EXECUTIVE EDITOR BOB GRITZINGER: What a great car--this ripping, high-revving V6 tied to this six-speed manual makes a perfect combo in this Accord coupe. The engine really winds up and punches, giving the car instant boost whether off the line or at speed, courtesy of a quick downshift. Everything from clutch to shifter to accelerator is smooth and slick and works with the kind of precision we expect from Honda engineers. My only concern is that, with so much power going to the front wheels, it's easy to break the front loose, and there is a noticeable amount of lift in the front suspension. It's not uncontrolled, just undercontrolled, especially when launching and cornering.

accord-coupe-rear.jpg&MaxW=630.jpg
accord-coupe-rear.jpg&MaxW=630.jpg (46.96 KiB) [ Viewed 743 times ]
accord-coupe-rear.jpg&MaxW=630.jpg [ 46.96 KiB | Viewed 743 times ]

I like the car in a big way. I'm glad to get a chance to sample it--I'd lost my sense of how good this car really is.

ASSOCIATE EDITOR JAKE LINGEMAN: The Honda Accord coupe holds a bit of a special place in my heart. As my friends were getting in to the tuner culture, it was one of the first vehicles to show up in our group. It was a four-cylinder, hunter green, and slammed to the pavement. I don't remember how much my friend powered up the car, but it wouldn't come close to today's V6. This coupe will loosen the tires in third! It might have a bit to do with the lift in the suspension that Bob was talking about, but man, is it fun. It makes me feel the same way as our long-term Hyundai Sonata 2.0T. It's so quick that I'd like a better suspension setup.

We joke that the Accord is the I-don't-care-about-cars car, but it's one set of coil-overs away from being a track star. The gear shifts are easy and smooth and the clutch pedal is weighted just right for me. The steering is a bit on the easy side, but that's expected. As it is, the car is for quick transportation, not carving apexes.

accord-coupe-side.jpg&MaxW=630.jpg
accord-coupe-side.jpg&MaxW=630.jpg (34.57 KiB) [ Viewed 714 times ]
accord-coupe-side.jpg&MaxW=630.jpg [ 34.57 KiB | Viewed 714 times ]

Inside the Accord gets comfy leather seats with a heating function, which was an unexpected bonus on a cool morning. And that soft suspension, which is curse when driving with spirit, makes for a drama-free expressway cruise into work.

The center stack is extremely busy. It took me a few minutes to figure out the iPod menu, but I think you'd get used to after a while. In which case, it's good to have all of that functionality. My guess is that Honda put the screen so deep to avoid the glare that we always get on these things.

The coupe looks miles better than the sedan. Dual exhausts in the back help, too.

accord-coupe-v6.jpg&MaxW=630.jpg
accord-coupe-v6.jpg&MaxW=630.jpg (47.8 KiB) [ Viewed 776 times ]
accord-coupe-v6.jpg&MaxW=630.jpg [ 47.8 KiB | Viewed 776 times ]

Now, $32,700 for an Accord might be a bit hard to swallow. Drivers can get in to a BMW 3-series for about $2,000 more. This Accord does have everything, and the stripper BMW probably wouldn't give you all of the goods. But my point is this: if you're looking for this kind of speed, you might want a chassis that sorts it better. If you're looking for more luxury, there are other choices to check out before deciding on the Honda.

2012 Honda Accord Coupe EX-L Navi

Base Price: $32,700

As-Tested Price: $32,700

Drivetrain: 3.5-liter V6; FWD, six-speed manual

Output: 271 hp @ 6,000-6,200 rpm, 251 lb-ft @ 5,000 rpm

Curb Weight: 3,423 lb

Fuel Economy (EPA/AW): 21/23.9 mpg

Options: None

source:autoweek
azi malik
F1 Racer
F1 Racer