Mini / Audi

Discuss what's new, which are the best cars, bikes and off-roaders....

Moderator: azi malik

Mini / Audi

Postby Guest on Mon Oct 17, 2005 7:27 pm

Hello

Am looking to buy a used car. A small car like Audi A3 or a Mini Cooper (not S).
I have a budget of 35k (40k absolute maximum).

Anyone have any ideas if i could get one of these at those prices (a good one!) or any other suggestions for cars similar to these?

Thanks

Postby Guest on Mon Oct 17, 2005 7:29 pm

PS I also like the Toyota Xa - but i want somethign a bit more powerful (1.6 and above).

Mazda, Peugeot, Honda...

Postby TheEditor on Tue Oct 18, 2005 2:53 am

Hey, you dont want to get a Toyota Xa...or do you?

I would recommend looking into Mazda 3...they are a bit hard to find in second-hands, but if you do they are a beauty that will fit your budget. They were also voted one of the best small cars in USA.

Both A3 and Mini Cooper will cost you more...unless you go back to finding a 3-4 year old model.

The Peugeot 206 and 307 are also nice cars that might fit your budget. For 40k you could probably find a 2 year old 206 convertible...that is quite nice!

If you want something realiable and not that much appeal then Honda Civic or City are a good bet.
TheEditor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Mini / Audi

Postby Guest on Sat Nov 05, 2005 11:26 am

Hi I was looking for a second hand A3 and found several on this website, did you manage to find anything you liked? Also I'm wondering if you have contacted any of the sellers advertising on this website, I notinced several cars are being advertised by ex-pats, are they more careful owners?

expats

Postby sushi on Sat Nov 05, 2005 1:41 pm

I dont know if expats are better owners or not, but it is general thing you find in advertisements here.

Normally it is considered that expats keep their cars in better condition and drive more carefully. However, with expat population here at 80% or so, it is more of a norm that a car is expat-owned than otherwise.

I would think that most asians probably keep their cars in better condition than other expats, but this is not a general categorization. Same goes for Europe. You see many ads about "british-expats" selling a car...I do not understand whats special there as british owned cars normally are not better than others..maybe their own british self-esteem that their cars are better! but that part is rubbish.

Also, the lady-driven thing is also rubbish if you see how many ladies drive here!

The only things that probably does make sense from a vehicles condition perspective are:
1- Service History - If a car has been serviced regularly, it will be in good condition.
2- Accidents - If the car has not been in any major accidents. Small bumper fenders etc are fine if they are fixed and did not damage the rest of the car.
3- Offroad driving - This is specially for 4x4 vehicles. A vehicle taken to the desert normally will have gone through some rough driving in low gears, at high RPM, under-body injuries, sand in the engine etc. It is incorrectly thought that locals always do offroading and expats dont. I think the ratio of locals/expats offroading their 4x4 is pretty much the same.

Phew! that was longer than I though :) Hope its helpful!
sushi

Return to General Chat