Dubai Speeding Cameras

Discuss what's new, which are the best cars, bikes and off-roaders....

Moderator: azi malik

Dubai Speeding Cameras

Postby speedster on Sun Oct 02, 2005 2:50 pm

Hey,
I think it would be great if we - the community - can keep each other up to date on speeding cameras that you've seen.

I'll start off with the following:

- I've seen a portable camera several times on the Road to Port Rashid, Mankhool from the first traffic lights (Sana crossing) when you are coming in from Sh Zayed Road.

- Seen cameras deployed on Al-Khail Road (my wife told me this so dont know the exact location) so be careful speeding on it.
speedster

More speed Cameras in Dubai

Postby Zahid on Wed Oct 12, 2005 11:39 pm

Hi, Here are some more that I saw recently:

- Al-Sufouh/Beach Road, when going from Media City towards Madinat Jumeirah, there is a camera before the lights of the Madinat crossing. The speed limit is 80 km/h here.

- Wasl Road going from South to Dubai, near Al-Safa Park. Again 80 km/h.

- Al-Khail road going from Springs/Meadows back exit towards Dubai, there is one camera near the Springs area, and one further up close to the exit towards Nad Al Sheba. I am guessing more cameras will be installed there.
Zahid

Cameras ARE EVERYWHERE!!

Postby Ali on Fri Oct 14, 2005 3:10 pm

Hey! This is a good thread, but from what I see Dubai Police has imported a ship-load of speeding cameras as I see them popping just everywhere!

Let me add new ones I saw yesterday:

- Emirates Road: Driving from Jebel Ali towards Sharjah many new cameras.

- Wasl Road: Many new cameras.

- Link road from Emirates Road to Sheikh Zayed Road: I've seen some cameras set up there, but I dont think they are switched on yet as I zoomed past it yesterday at 120 and I think it is a 80 or 100 road.

We all should go get Hyandai Getz or Fiat Puntos!
Ali
Cruiser
Cruiser

Postby GigiAndretti on Fri Oct 14, 2005 5:17 pm

Well... I believe this speeding cameras topic is actually is getting international press :) Check this out:

Dubai speed cameras gain sponsor (BBC.CO.UK)
No other than HP :x

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/4316802.stm

This news if from Oct. 7th.. but it came on Engadget just today. If its there, its news ;)

Hmmm.. SHAME ON YOU HP :roll:

But check out one of the comments at engadget. he writes:

Speeding tickets in Dubai are a corrupt enterprise, anyway. Nobody really has to pay the speeding ticket if they use what Emiratis commonly refer to as their "connections." Everybody has some sort of connection and tickets are not enforced for most people. HP is probably happy to get some superficial ad placement in Dubai's traffic control market though, as car accidents from speeding are the number one cause of death in Dubai.

Now that is a topic to discuss.. Is that true?
Erm... CARS?
GigiAndretti
Tuner
Tuner

HP sponsorship is actually good

Postby Ali on Fri Oct 14, 2005 7:20 pm

Initially I was also appalled by HP sponsoring this! It was kind of funny that HP had adverts saying "Reduce your speed"....I'll remember that next time I buy a PC from HP :)

But after the initial moral objections, it is actually good with the HP signs as they have added a large orange box around the camera (on which is says HP). This Orange box is actually visible from quite far off (as opposed to the older grey boxes) and now one can make sure to slow down before reaching the camera.
Ali
Cruiser
Cruiser

Emirati connections

Postby Ali on Fri Oct 14, 2005 7:22 pm

I've heard this many times of the "Emirati connection" as well, but am unsure how true it is. It is most probably a rumour spread by the expat community.

Having said that, I've noticed the most reckless drivers in Dubai having Abu Dhabi number plates. I wonder if there is a loop-hole where Abu Dhabi drivers dont get enforced Dubai fines??
Ali
Cruiser
Cruiser

Postby None on Thu Nov 03, 2005 7:06 am

Connections go a long way. My mate's local sponsor is a person on a good post in the traffic dept and he gets his fines cancelled without hassle. Also, when he gets a parking ticket, he faxes it to the local's office and the ticket is cancelled. Lucky bitch, hehe! :lol:
None

get the fax number dude

Postby sushi on Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:55 pm

Hey, get us the fax number so we others can fax ours over as well!

But, this sounds more like a "traffic dept connection" than an "emirati connection". None of my emirati mates get theirs cancelled and are constantly complaining about fines.
sushi

Camera et al

Postby Guest on Sat Nov 05, 2005 11:21 am

This is too funny, I'm doing research for a trade show being held in dubai next month on vehicle registration systems and your thread pops up in search engines!! It also appears that this is also the only community with regards to traffic/speed cameras in dubai.

In fact, our CEO found this string to be so interesting that he wants to sponsor the speed cam boxes and stick diamond-grade reflective material with our logo so you guys can spot them from upto 2 miles away!! Hahaha, just hope the authorities don't see this email before they accept our proposal...

Anwar

Return to General Chat