GCC specs

Discuss what's new, which are the best cars, bikes and off-roaders....

Moderator: azi malik

GCC specs

Postby muratti on Wed Sep 14, 2005 12:07 am

any problem in buying an imported non GCC specs car?
muratti

Postby Ferrari on Thu Sep 15, 2005 1:34 am

Good question!

The answer is depends on what you want: cheap car to buy, car with good after-sale value, problem-free, etc.

From what I understand, GCC specs is NOT a stringent environmentalist set of rules by the Gulf governments as one would think, but something that the car manufacturers themselves have labeled for cars meant to be sold in the Gulf area.

The major things about GCC cars that differ from cars sold in Japan, Germany, US are:
- The cars are built and tuned to run in extreme heat. This means that the car radiator is larger or better at cooling. Other parts used are more heat resistant.
- The internals of the car. specially the AC is more heavy-duty to provide proper cooling in the heat.
- In GCC, there is already the 4-5% duty already paid. If you import you need to pay this.

Most people after getting their non-GCC spec will get the radiator re-tuned and the AC changed - other than that its fine.

Some people claim that you have trouble with servicing non-GCC spec cars with some of the local dealers. This varies with car makes. I do not have enough info on which ones are good of bad, but I've heard people complain about Gargash (Mercedes) and AGMC (BMW) - not confirmed though.

Then there is re-sale! Non-GCC spec and imported cars always sell for cheaper, as the buyer also knows you bought it cheaper. That's the way it is.

Hope this helps!
Ferrari
Ride Pimper
Ride Pimper

Postby Guest on Thu Sep 15, 2005 1:49 am

Hi,
In Saudi, there are rules on cars and standards on what can be imported or not. I believe the rest of the GCC comply with similar standards.

Go to SASO at http://www.saso.org.sa and see what those standards are:

There are some standards that need to be adhered for new cars on lead-acid starter batteries, windshields and safety glass, brake fluids, and tires. Every car also must have fire extinguishers, first aid kits and tire pressure monitor. 

For used cars, I believe similar rules apply. It must also have all the thing like safety belts, door equipment safety mechanisms, side view mirrors, proper tires, proper condition of body and its paintwork, parking lamps, turning lamps, emergency lamps, etc.
Also, neither a catalytic converter nor an oxygen sensor may be installed.

Yeah, also you cannot register a right-hand-drive car in UAE...if you import one from Japan that is right-hand-drive you need to get it converted.

Return to General Chat