Texting teenager driver held responsible for deadly pileup

Discuss what's new, which are the best cars, bikes and off-roaders....

Moderator: azi malik

Texting teenager driver held responsible for deadly pileup

Postby brandionneV on Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:17 pm

National Traffic Safety Board on Tuesday announced its conclusions regarding a heartbreaking pileup accident last year. A teenage driver texting behind the wheel brought on the crash, as reported by the report. The results come right on the heels of an NHTSA survey demonstrating that driver texting is increasing. This crash displays the dangers of texting in the vehicle. http://www.cardealexpert.com/news-information/auto-news/texting-teen-fatal-pile-up/

Large pile-up

On August 5, 2010, the huge pile-up collision occurred. In it there were two school buses, a pickup and a tractor. After rear ending the tractor, the pickup got hit by the two school buses. The Six Flags amusement park in St. Louis, Mo., was expecting to see about 50 students. They were in the crash with the buses though. Of everybody in the accident, it is incredible that only one 15 year old student on a bus and the pickup drivers were killed. There were a lot of injuries though. Thirty eight reported injuries.

According to federal safety officials, the 19-year-old driver of the pickup sent six texts and received five in the 11 minutes quickly preceding the collision.

NTSB Meets Tuesday

To be able to discuss “distractive effects of portable electronic devices when used by drivers,” The NTSB will have a meeting on Tuesday. Drivers of customer cars have not had texting and cellular phone use banned yet, although it is banned for commercial drivers.

The NTSB Chairman Deborah Hersman told the AP:

“This is trending very hot, and it’s a growing concern for the NTSB.”

NHTSA survey

Last week, a survey was published from the NHTSA. This survey had 6,000 participants. Texting while driving occurs more often than you think. Twenty percent of people admit to doing it at one point or another. Half of those surveyed between the ages of 21 and 24 admitted to doing it. The NHTSA explained that there is one in every one hundred drivers on the road using a mobile phone at all times. There have been more bans put into place in numerous states. This number is still increasing though.

Annually, the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration goes to specific intersections to count incidents of distracted driving. This can consist of using a cell phone or other things distracting.

Sources

Newser

Washington Post

AOL Autos
brandionneV

My Ride: I don't know what I ride
My Profession: SEO
My Dream Ride: toyota

Return to General Chat