5 Hot Auto Tech Trends for 2011

Discuss what's new, which are the best cars, bikes and off-roaders....

Moderator: azi malik

5 Hot Auto Tech Trends for 2011

Postby fadi khan on Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:03 am

Even though the auto industry has been affected by the global economic downturn, car manufacturers are still finding ways to offer consumers affordable vehicles that are both efficient and technologically advanced. An abundance of safety features, communication devices, electronics and fuel efficient engines are becoming standard commodities on many models. When purchasing a car with these advanced features, always make sure that whoever you’re doing business with has met the necessary insurance, auto dealer bond and other licensing requirements to guarantee that your investment is protected.

Hands Free Technology

As we spend more and more time in our cars, new developments help drivers stay connected and productive by allowing customizable driving experiences. Kia’s UVO, Ford’s Sync and the MyLincoln Touch are just a few of the new in-vehicle communication and entertainment systems that allow drivers hands-free, voice-activated control of plug-in devices such as USB sticks, PDAs, MP3 players and Bluetooth technology.

Plug-in Hybrids

With gas prices on the rise yet again, new generation gas-electric hybrids offer alternative power solutions to consumers. The 2011 Toyota Prius and 2011 Chevy Volt both offer plug-in capability, which means that their batteries can be recharged with a 110-volt outlet. Drivers who use a plug-in hybrid can save a significant amount of money at the pump while simultaneously gaining a much better overall fuel economy.

Diesel Engine Technology

Since hybrid cars require high initial investments, an alternative solution is to purchase a car with a diesel engine. Diesel engines have not always been a popular option, but modern variations provide extremely high fuel economy, quality, durability and improved power delivery. Two examples include the updated VW Golf and BMW 330d, as both top 40 mpg.

Driver Assistance

Most new car models come with safety features known as Advanced Driver Assistance Systems (ADAS). These features assist drivers through blind-spot monitoring, adaptive cruise control, lane-departure warnings and night vision. The purpose of these features is to prevent accidents by taking control of the car away from the driver in times of emergency.

New Safety Innovations

In case an accident cannot be prevented, some 2011 model cars are equipped with innovative safety features. A current standard includes side-torso bags, which are airbags that protect occupants from side impacts. Other safety features include rollover protection for SUVs and inflatable seat belts that add to the comfort and overall safety of drivers.

No matter which of these technological advances you value most, be sure to do your research when looking to purchase a new car. Vehicles that have a lot of bells and whistles tend to cost more, and you want to make sure that you’re not taken advantage of by an unruly auto dealer.
fadi khan
Drifter
Drifter

My Ride: I don't know what I ride
My Profession: MBA
My Dream Ride: Cygnus

Return to General Chat