To BMW or not to BMW

Discuss what's new, which are the best cars, bikes and off-roaders....

Moderator: azi malik

To BMW or not to BMW

Postby drunkAnt on Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:06 pm

Hi Everyone,

Firstly, great job you guys. I landed in Dubai four months back and this is the only vehicle site I've been visiting ever since...There is a ton of info..

Well here's the thing, my dream ride is a BMW, anything BMW would do for me..but I'd really like a 3Series or an X3. To be honest, I don't have one of those big paying jobs and would be only looking at buying something used..for which I would be saving up like crazy and since its Dubai, there seems to be a slight chance I might be able to get one in the end..

My question is, if I do get one, will I be able to maintain it. I know maintaining European vehicles are expensive compared to Japanese, but how expensive? Like how much would I have to put aside a month? Also, how old can the vehicle be..like 2007, 2005? I honestly don't have a clue...

Would be great if someone could clarify...
drunkAnt

My Ride: I don't know what I will ride!
My Profession: Incident Analyst
My Dream Ride: BMW

Re: To BMW or not to BMW

Postby root on Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:17 pm

drunkAnt! Welcome to the forums!

First question would be...whats your budget going to be like?

The 3-series are popular among young expats (the Lebanese and Egyptians love 'em) so there is a good second hand market as well. But like everything these days you can find some good bargains.
The better bargains you'll get on the 5 series and even better on the 7 series...but they are also more expensive to start off with.

The X3 has not really made it big here..so you might get one off relatively cheap, but then you'll also have the same problem when selling.

For BMWs sold here, they all come with a 5 years service package. So, as long as you buy a car with its package still there, you will be pretty safe and sure that the car has been properly serviced. I would hence aim for a 2006 or later.

It all depends upon your budget. Even older beamers can be found in good condition and great value. Just make sure you take them for a full checkup before, as big repairs will always cost you. There are a few good BMW workshops (Check the repairs forum) so I am not sure that service would be too much more expensive. Parts are gonna be more expensive, but then they last longer as well.
Come and discuss at the most lively forums about Cars, Bikes, 4x4s...at http://www.autodealer.ae at the Autodealer UAE Forums.
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

My Ride: VW Touareg V8 2005
My Profession: Car Enthusiast
My Dream Ride: This month: Nissan GT-R

Postby azi malik on Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:42 pm

my uncle had a bad experience wid the beamers.... he bought a vogue... and it was damn heavy on pertrol... plus his regular maintainance costed him to sell the car and buy a Nissan petrol.... i would recommend go for another brand... which has hit dubai market big time.. so that u dun have any probs maintaining it AND selling it... :)
azi malik
F1 Racer
F1 Racer

My Ride: I don't know what I ride
My Profession: automotive consultant
My Dream Ride: dunoo

Postby root on Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:17 am

Azi..thats probably a small percentage bad cases! BMW is one of the top and most reliable car manufacturers in the world!

Sale wise, 5-series and 7-series lose more value percentage wise. Well, all European cars lose more than Japanese brands but thats because they are more expensive to start off with, plus there is a smaller appetite for expensive vehicles in UAE (Not everyone works at a bank with a 6-digit salary).
Come and discuss at the most lively forums about Cars, Bikes, 4x4s...at http://www.autodealer.ae at the Autodealer UAE Forums.
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

My Ride: VW Touareg V8 2005
My Profession: Car Enthusiast
My Dream Ride: This month: Nissan GT-R

Postby azi malik on Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:45 am

hmmm true... if ur a genuine bmw lover...
azi malik
F1 Racer
F1 Racer

My Ride: I don't know what I ride
My Profession: automotive consultant
My Dream Ride: dunoo

Postby drunkAnt on Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:01 pm

hey guys..

sorry about the late reply, my internet was on the blink..
Well, guess i'd be settling in for a Toyota or Nissan..or may be a used jeep or something, till I find a more suitable job and settle down in Dubai..

Thanks a lot for the comments...keep up the good work...
drunkAnt

My Ride: I don't know what I will ride!
My Profession: Incident Analyst
My Dream Ride: BMW

Return to General Chat