New Car for 125k?

Discuss what's new, which are the best cars, bikes and off-roaders....

Moderator: azi malik

New Car for 125k?

Postby root on Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:20 pm

My neighbour just got a promotion and getting a new company car for AED 125k! He does not know what to get, so can you guys recommend?

Its a company car, so he does not really care about second-hand value, maintenance, etc.
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

My Ride: VW Touareg V8 2005
My Profession: Car Enthusiast
My Dream Ride: This month: Nissan GT-R

Postby navadv on Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:20 pm

125K? thats a decent amount.... :D

BUT - what kind of vehicle? - Does he have a family, does he need space or can he go for a sports car?

Does he like 4x4's? or 4 door sedans? etc etc ....

within that range there is a ton of cars, 4x4, coupes, etc....i think we need more info. to help him out :)

Is he looking for 'status' car? or he doesnt care?

I knw you said in your title 'New Car', but does he mind getting used? - opens up even more avenues

hehehe .... (im complicating things arent i?)
navadv
Drift King
Drift King

New Car

Postby root on Thu Mar 09, 2006 2:26 am

It has to be a new car...company policy!

He wants that atleast the kids can sit in the back seats, otherwise sporty is fine!

4x4 is fine, but less attractive as he already has one of those.

The rest..yes! status, coolness, sporty, sexy, appeal, speed,....

His current thoughts are between a 3-series beamer, a C class merc, an ES Lexus, a Prado VX but the reason to ask was get more and better choices.
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby navadv on Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:51 am

3 Series - good car, but are u sure it comes within 125K? - or do u mean a 316 ?

From what i knw the 1 Series is definietly within range!

ES ? - Damn good car, cant go wrong - Thought about the Avalon? (that is if you can beat the 12 month waiting period! - believe me, i tried! )

Prado ? - again, sure footed, but thought about a Fortuner? - 4.0L - more powerful and lighter than a Prado!! (has the Landcruiser Pick up engine - and if you knw what that is, then u knw this is one POwerful engine!!!)
newer technology, similar spacing, and a very good off roader!

C-Class - what engine? cause YES its a MERC! but it isnt chance that u dont see alot of them on the roads! - somehow, i just think that there are alot of better cars.... (same engines, faster, similar luxury)

Think About a Accord V6 -- 280 hp (i think) - VTEC - and 3.0L
anyone messing arund only sees the back of ur car - the dual exhausts smoking away!!! - beautiful ride! (dont believe me. take a test drive - and when u do, test out the Altima 3.5 as well .... no comparison!)
Altima 3.5 if you like.....

As i mesntioned earlier - Avalon - same 280Hp - 0-60 in less than 7 sec - really impressive 280 Hp as well.... costs are 101,000 and 118,000

Oh - Volvo has been advertising with impressive discounts! - Status car, safety and HEY , its a Volvo!
S40, S60, XC 90 (should just be in the range, not the V8 however)

What about Subaru! - dont sell well in Dubai, but the Legacy 2.5 - wow... if u've ever owned a Subaru, u will knw what stuff im talking bout .....
AWD, nice interiors, good ride, NICE PICKUP! - if they have the 2.5 Turbo avail. - go for it if u like sporty sedans!

If your a fan of American Cars (unlike me!) - Lumina SS - nuthin faster in a straight line, but everythings faster on a race track (if you knw what i mean!) - but lets not debate over that!
Caprice SS - looks amazing, same as above
Cadillac? - im not sure of price ranges ...sry!

Then American SUV's - Explorer, Expedition, trailblazer, Cherokee, etc etc durango (?) Navigator (?) (i dont think these come in this range, though im not sure..)

Non American
U said smaller SUV's - how about Suzuki Grand Vitara! - New shape, its a Suzuki!! - good stuff! -spacious, looks good, really good off road! - fun to drive!

Nissan Pathfinder - waiit a month or two - New Shape 4.0L engine - Japanese reliability!
Nissan X-Trail - good SUV, personal experience with it as well! - couldnt ask for more ! Decent power, no probs, good space, and good for 'light' offroading!

Same class - CRV - but i would go for the Nissan XTrail

OMG - how could i forget ! - Honda's MRV - simply outstanding! - effortless ride, smooth, spacious, status, - new shape out this month! - powerful, list goes on and on.... dont listen to me though, check out the ratings it has in US (known as the Pilot! - and built on the award winning MDX platform!!)

RAV4 - considiered a girls car here, BUT - check out the space in the new model!! -- couldnt believe it - engines improved as well - 2.4L 170 hp or thereabout - not really for offroading, but Toyota!!

As mentioned before, Subaru - Forrester?

Im getting tired of typing... :P .... when i thik of some new stuff ill put it up.... But as i said before, the list goes ON and On and ON!
Hope all this typing has actually done some good!
navadv
Drift King
Drift King

Postby root on Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:43 pm

New MRV is interesting...how much is that for?

I've never driven the Avalon...how would you compare it with the ES300 Lexus?

BTW...pretty good analysis!
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby navadv on Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:10 pm

hey,

MRV costs about 118K brand new, and if im right with Leather Interior and sunroof!
take it for a test drive, honda will even give it to u for 2 days!!
they are very confident in this model.....

Difference between the Es and Avalon ? - Very little - both are very luxuious. Avalon has Push Start Engine Button, memory seats, climate control, ABS, keyless go (u have a smart card, if the car detects it on u, u can drive without a key - a feature picked up from Merc), adaptive headlights etc etc etc... ...
I really havnt gone into a detailed comparison of these two models.

However, the way i see it, the new ES300 is about to change its shape !
its about time (3 yrs ? 4 yrs? have passed) - when it does, there is gonna be alot of extra luxury options, NOT avail. on the current model.

So right now the Avalon and ES may seem similar, but in a year or two the ES will regain its superiority. :)

Lets not forget that the Avalon is still considered 'Toyota' and Es is Lexus - more status, prestige! - ur paying for that too!

I forgot about european makes! - VW Passat? - suppodsed to be highly refined compared to the older shape....
Seat?
Renault?
Saab? - high status car!
etc etc...

Does he have any prefernces in makes?
navadv
Drift King
Drift King

Postby navadv on Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:16 pm

PS - there is an Avalon for sale from Al Futtaim Used Cars - just a 1000 Km and they are asking 113K - full options

Dont forget, Toyota doesnt have any Avalons - waiting period of more than a year (i tried to book one myself for a friend). You cant even test drive it....
navadv
Drift King
Drift King

in japan there is no lexus

Postby sushi on Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:57 pm

talking about brand value, when I was in Japan last year, I was astonished to see that Lexus does not even exist there as a brand. All the Lexus models are available but they are called Toyota.

What do you guys think of the Lexus IS-350 or IS-250 ? From the pictures it looks extremely slick.
Come to think of it I have not seen any of those in Dubai.

sushi
Tuner
Tuner

2 day test drives

Postby sushi on Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:59 pm

Navadv! Whats your trick to get cars for 2 day test drives?
I normally cant even get the damn sales person to give me the car for a spin all alone. They normally want to sit with you.

If you have a big red ferrari that you drive to the showroom with and park right outside then I can understand the treatment. But for us others, whats the game?
sushi
Tuner
Tuner

Postby navadv on Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:19 am

LOL... i drive a Civic (but it drives like a Ferrari :P )

No i just act interested, and check out the car properly! - ask alot of questions etc... (by the way i was interested in it!)

The sales person offered it to me over the weekend if i want to test it!

So - thats my secret...

Yes, i love the IS 330 - i drove the older version a few times, the new one only once.... what can i say - its a lexus - drives the way it should!

takes after the GS look.... i dont knw why it isnt here?!
navadv
Drift King
Drift King

i'll try to act interested ;)

Postby sushi on Sat Mar 11, 2006 3:07 am

Hey, I thought i sounded interested, but not to buy it.
I'll try your tactic to pretend to be a real buyer. I can believe that if the salesman believes you are a genuine buyer, he'll be more inclined.

I am going to Gargash tomorrow. I want to try the new Alfa GT!
sushi
Tuner
Tuner

Alfa GT!

Postby navadv on Sat Mar 11, 2006 9:40 am

Nice.... just make sure u only test it and dont buy it!!

They can be 'lureing' but deceptive..... Only buy one of these if you got serious BLING@! (money)

Soooo expensive to maintain and WOW - these engines dont last out here....

HEY - Admin> maybe an Alfa as well?? - sporty, fun to drive, look good, status.... etc etc..... think about it.
navadv
Drift King
Drift King

he went with a lexus ES300

Postby root on Sat Mar 11, 2006 2:52 pm

The hunts over! He ordered the ES 300 and getting it tomorrow.
Will take it out for a spin and let you know how it goes!

Thanks for the help!
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to General Chat