Lexus IS220d

Discuss the best sedan 4-door to get or not to get....

Moderator: azi malik

Lexus IS220d

Postby root on Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:03 pm

I wish this model would come here. Lexus' only diesel.

Capacity 2231 cc
Max. output (bhp/kW@rpm) 177/130@3600
Max. torque (Nm@rpm) 400@2000-2600
Bore x stroke 86.0 x 96.0 mm
Fuel type low-sulphur diesel, 48 cetane
Final drive ratio 3.2

Maximum Speed 135/215 (mph/kmh)
Acceleration 0-62 mph (0-100 km/h) 8.9 sec
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

My Ride: VW Touareg V8 2005
My Profession: Car Enthusiast
My Dream Ride: This month: Nissan GT-R

Postby Brembo on Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:14 pm

is there any benefit in owning a diesel vehicle in the UAE???

besides i see it needs low sulfur diesel. we have high sulfur content in our fuels. thats why they lexus gs 350 is not sold here, it cant handle the fuel.
Brembo
Street Racer
Street Racer

My Ride: riced up honda civic
My Profession: delivery boy
My Dream Ride: toyota corolla white

Postby T.N.T on Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:37 pm

Brembo is true, no real use of owning a diesel here. O K, maybe if its a 5-cylinder turbo diesel from Audi or the like, then I'd consider :P .
Give respect, get respect.
T.N.T
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Postby root on Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:07 pm

is there any benefit in owning a diesel vehicle in the UAE???

Well, diesel gives you better fuel economy. For those traveling daily from Dubai to Abu Dhabi or Sharjah, there is quite a bit of money spent at the pump.

Secondly, this is supposed to be a very clean diesel engine so it can be easily exported to anywhere else if you move back to your home country. In most places, fuel is a lot more expensive.

Yeah, TNT! Would like to see more of the Audi, VW TDI engines. Even the BMW diesels are quite nice.
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Dimar on Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:50 am

Good morning!
Well, actually, diesel - is the most perspective engine nowadays. Look, many european automakers (such as Mercedes) promote diesel engines even in the USA (country, where diesel only use on heavy trucks). Because now diesel get more advantages then petrol engines:
1. It's powerfull (turbodiesel), on some cars it's even more powerfull than petrol;
2. It's got higher tourqe (push moment);
3. Now diesels are green to environment (thanks to soot filter)
4. And, of course, it has better fuel economy (especially with big daily milage). We must save natural resources in spite of it's low prices in some countries.
So the situation with points above will only getted better.
And don't forget what type of engine won in Le-Mans! Diesel engines using in autosport more and more.
8)
Dimar
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Brembo on Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:29 pm

isnt diesel more expensive here? 8dhs per gallon/? so is the increased mileage a diesel engine gives enough to offset the cost of diesel?
also dont diesel cars have higher maintenance costs?

what are the cheaper diesel cars avail here? (no not the mercs or bmws)
Brembo
Street Racer
Street Racer

My Ride: riced up honda civic
My Profession: delivery boy
My Dream Ride: toyota corolla white

Postby firasdxb on Tue Dec 25, 2007 2:29 pm

well, i went to Germany, and honestly no one drives a benz and uses green petrol like GCC countries..they all use deisel, and it is so so so economic, it saves 75% of money spent on green oil as in GCC...

The only disadvantage is the horrible engine sound, and this is famous to any desiel car driver, but i guess Mercedes had overcome this problem..and the S350 D, cannot be having a loud engine at least for the first 3 years of usage.

I dont know the price of deisel in UAE, but sure its lower than the green special oil.
firasdxb
Ride Pimper
Ride Pimper

Postby WSF on Tue Dec 25, 2007 2:32 pm

i would like to see diesel cars in the uae...

i dont understand Green diesel??? what is it really??

I saw it sold @ adnoc, cheaper per gallon than the normal diesel...
WSF
Street Racer
Street Racer

Postby root on Tue Dec 25, 2007 8:06 pm

Dont know if its the same, but in some countries you can buy Diesel cheaper for industrial or agricultural usage and that diesel has a colour-filling giving it a green colour.

You are not allowed to sell that diesel to normal people to put in your cars, as the normal diesel is taxed a lot higher.

There's a large black-market in those countries of people trying to buy the cheaper green diesel for their cars....because its all the same.
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby firasdxb on Wed Dec 26, 2007 10:35 am

am using green spcecial at Adnoc which costs 6.25 AED / Galon, yesterday i asked the man overthere for the price of the deisel, and i was shocked to know it is 8.60 AED / galon !!

i am wonderign what kind of deisel is it. But as per my knowledge, i know that desiel doesnt get burned as fast as other oils like green,red,blue..which means that for an 8 cylinder you might need to fill with 150 AED, but it might last for the whole week...
firasdxb
Ride Pimper
Ride Pimper

Postby fayz on Wed Dec 26, 2007 1:29 pm

root wrote: but in some countries you can buy Diesel cheaper for industrial or agricultural usage and that diesel has a colour-filling giving it a green colour.

This is true, where I'm from one of my friends owned a farm and filled up her cars with the 'green' diesel and saved a ton.

I’ve never owned a diesel so can’t offer any comments but isn’t Oman starting a big bio-diesel plant use date oil to make bio-diesel?

Also I’m under the impression that the reason Dubai’s diesel prices are considerably higher than gas are simply to discourage people from buying diesel,

A couple months ago it made the press that diesel in Dubai was 40% higher than diesel being sold in Abu Dhabi, I see from Firas’ post that this has been rectified now and Abu Dhabi has raised its prices accordingly. :shock: :shock:
fayz
Tuner
Tuner

Postby WSF on Wed Dec 26, 2007 1:53 pm

use cooking oil instead... :P they say the exhaust smells like baking cake or donuts...
WSF
Street Racer
Street Racer

Postby fayz on Wed Dec 26, 2007 5:30 pm

lol that'd probably be enough to get us past the US and win the title of the fattest country :lol: :lol:

The thought has me craving some Krispy Kreme
fayz
Tuner
Tuner

Postby WSF on Wed Dec 26, 2007 6:22 pm

could make a cool idea to show ppl in the uae that diesels run on used cooking oil... most dont even know that & can increase demand on diesel cars mayb?? i guess in thinkin too much... :P
WSF
Street Racer
Street Racer

Postby root on Wed Dec 26, 2007 11:14 pm

What are you guys smoking?? Too much grape sheesha, I think ;)

Yeah, its crazy that Diesel cars dont come here. The GCC needs to get into 2008 mode and forgot the dirty black smoke diesel of the 70's and 80's.

The thing that would be super-cool to get here are the Hybrid. I am disappointed that no-one has yet announced anything.

Last time I was in Europe a couple of months ago, I sat in a Toyota Prius, and was thoroughly impressed. Its got both an electric and petrol engine, and it switches between them. The coolest part is that on the navigation display you can see the state of the engine, and which part is being used when. Also how the mechanical running loads the battery.

The drive is great, acceleration is like any other vehicle of that size, and fuel economy is phenomenal (twice as good as the petrol version).
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to Sedan