Issues with non-GCC Spec car in Dubai

Discuss how to import cars privately, dos and donts, Japanese imports, German imports, Right-Hand-Drive, ....

Moderator: azi malik

Re: Issues with non-GCC Spec car in Dubai

Postby root on Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:42 am

I have bought US imported cars and not had problems - rather a good deal.
The idea is to be careful when buying, do the proper background check-up, carfax, etc.
Come and discuss at the most lively forums about Cars, Bikes, 4x4s...at http://www.autodealer.ae at the Autodealer UAE Forums.
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

My Ride: VW Touareg V8 2005
My Profession: Car Enthusiast
My Dream Ride: This month: Nissan GT-R

Postby khaloods on Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:58 am

Hi Root,
Cent percent I agree with you to have a proper check, but still I advise if someone wants to buy expensive car and specially the new models please buy local GCC version, yes if you buy some old model or in expensive car yes go ahead as they are selling with a book value and you got a good deal.

But new cars or model within 4 to 5 years old are not advisible by me at least.
khaloods
Tuner
Tuner

My Ride: Looking to Ride the Pride of Land
My Profession: Telecom Consultant
My Dream Ride: Jaguar XJ

Postby aregion on Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:40 pm

So far the car is holding up ok .. appreciate all the feedback and sharing from fellow forumers... but here are my summary of items i want to share which might be an issue for people who are considering a non-gcc spec car in gcc; . I have left out the issue of buying a "total loss/salvage" car and concentrate only on general issues

1) risk that the manufacturer's exclusive country agent does not want to service/repair the car, and 90% of the OEM workshops will reject the car, giving much less option to find best deal to repair/service. reason apparently is that the diognostic kit does not "talk" to the car in full. so even though they can register faults, it will not be able to tell the mechanic specific detail. this means they have to repair by trial and error .. so they just dont want this headache. i;ve tried at the agent 5 times, with differnet person handling ... all had more or less the same response. 1 had the decency to want to try and help me initially ... but in the end was convinced by his colleage that its not even worth a try. anyway, i have the problem fixed now ... at some other workshop; but it could be an issue for persistent electronic related problem.
2) besides the mph speedometer/odometer, aircon gauge in farenheit and minor labelling anomalies, there are significant differences in the car components, like what karhood said. for example i find that in gcc spec, there are 2 fans behind the radiator grille. in mine there is only 1. driving mechanism of the fans is also different (fan belt driven vs electric). i have yet to discover what this means in terms of performance or breakdown risk.
3) Radio frequency increment ... 0.2 steps for us spec .. which means you will loose out half of the radio stations in UAE
4) compehensive insurance is still an issue ... i have not yet found a broker who'd cover afer trying 6 agencies and 2 brokers.

the only non-gcc spec car i'd ever consider buying willingly to use in gcc is the cx9, because the gcc spec has the speedlimiter set at 160kmph ... or if the car, in good condition is sold at not more than 60% market value.

i also tend not to agree that its a lesser headache if it was a non-gcc older car; older cars need more attention and maintenance and you would not be able to find a workshop to do it readily and economically.
aregion
Rookie
Rookie

My Ride: I don't know what I ride
My Profession: management
My Dream Ride: cls63amg

Postby T.N.T on Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:10 pm

aregion wrote:3) Radio frequency increment ... 0.2 steps for us spec .. which means you will loose out half of the radio stations in UAE

Can easily be fixed by getting a modulator chip installed.
Give respect, get respect.
T.N.T
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Postby root on Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:47 am

T.N.T wrote:
aregion wrote:3) Radio frequency increment ... 0.2 steps for us spec .. which means you will loose out half of the radio stations in UAE

Can easily be fixed by getting a modulator chip installed.

How is this done? I have this same issue and was planning to get a new stereo just due to this.
Details please, and where do I get this installed?
Come and discuss at the most lively forums about Cars, Bikes, 4x4s...at http://www.autodealer.ae at the Autodealer UAE Forums.
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby T.N.T on Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:25 am

Go to the Shj Industrial Area, between Sharjah College and a petrol pump (Eppco I think) there are many shops stacked with OEM head units. Ask around for your car and they'll get you a chip.
Never did this myself so I don't really know how they do it, but it does happen.
Give respect, get respect.
T.N.T
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Postby bilalashraf on Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:50 pm

I have experienced the same issues with Non-GCC specs Accord. It was a very bad experience. Got rid of it very after a tuff time.

-Bilal
bilalashraf
Rookie
Rookie

My Ride: Toyota
My Profession: IT
My Dream Ride: Crazy

Postby root on Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:50 am

What kind of bad experience?

I've had a US non-GCC spec vehicle for 4 years now without any issues. The key is to remember to do a proper check-up of what you buy. Unfortunately, too many lemons are being sold in the market - salvaged, flooded, accidented vehicles as there is no car history in this country.

If you get a proper check-up, get a Carfax report and import directly or through reliable channels, you can get a vehicle that has even better quality and specs than here. The A/C maybe for some units require changing to make it blow more, but in general not much more.
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby aregion on Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:53 am

update ... i've had the car for 2+ years now and so far its working well overall. the comprehensive insurance issue is settled. basically you just dont highlight the point that its a US import .. and buy through a broker, not direct to the insurers.

i agree with root ... there are lots of lemon imports from US, basically salvages ... so buyer beware as they cosmetically treat them so well you''d think its a new car .. but underneath the skin ... !

the aircon is fine (except it blow hot air when the front grille gets wet) .. and the other issue is the transmission fluid temperature gets hot when going up and down steep slopes (like going to Mussandam) .. i wonder if this is normal .. or maybe it because of the missing fan behind the front grille.
aregion
Rookie
Rookie

My Profession: management
My Dream Ride: cls63amg

Postby root on Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:43 am

Transmission fluid I'd guess would go high with those steep heights :)
I guess your vehicle is automatic. Are you driving in D? I think its advisable to move the gear to L or something to get more power at a lower gear - going down you want engine brake to help also, otherwise you'll be smelling a lot of burnt rubber and ceramic from the pads.

The salvage business is huge here because that's where the real money is made - it should be made illegal but I guess too many involved. e.g a salvaged vehicle will not sell in US, so they basically give it away for nothing. A $30k vehicle would go for maybe $1-2k in salvage. They get it over here - add another $1k in transport. Then they spend $4-5k to get it 'fixed' and look good. Now you have a car almost looking the same for $8k. The dealer sells it for $20k to unknowing guys who gladly buys it seeing it as a 'bargain'!
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Detox on Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:37 pm

Hi Guys,

this is my first post here... it is inetresting to understand the experiences of the different members with US imports and salvage...
I am planning a move to Dubai within the next 2 months and i am a huge car enthusiast DIY.. last project was an M3 rebuild...
I came across a real bargain and had to buy it.... its s flood damaged salvage Infiniti G25x, I totally understadn what I am getting into and understadn the risks and issues involved with the repair but it was too good to let go....
Fot this I wont have alot of time to do it myself but will need to be involved from a troubleshooting perspective so a cooperative mechanic is essential.

Can anyone recommend a good workshop that can undertake this investigation/repair for me?
I am looking for Nissan/Infiniti experienced guys that are honest and easy to deal with.....

I already have the car in Dubai so will get it delivered to the mechanic.....

I appreciate your responses ....
Detox

My Profession: Professional
My Dream Ride: M3

Postby root on Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:48 am

Hey Detox!
Welcome to the forums!

You're doing something I'd love to do - only if I had the time! My last hobby car and bike projects never got the time, and then my wife started getting tired of the 'junk' parked in the garage for too long :)

Personally do not have any experience of restoring such vehicles, but I'm sure you'll find many that do this kind of stuff. There are loads of small workshops that do this type of work for a living, turning american salvages into dubai bargins - a bit of the 'lipstick on pigs' type jobs. Most of these smaller and cheaper workshops are to be found in Sharjah and Ajman.

In Dubai, you can find a bunch in Al-Quoz, Qusais and Rashidiya areas. How does one find these? I'd suggest driving around these areas and you'll see a bunch of workshops and the type of work that is being done and the cars parked outside. I've come across a number of these workshops while driving where you see some nice imports being worked upon - just never stopped by as had no interest, hence, dont have any names to give.

Good luck and keep us posted on your findings!
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby svenks on Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:22 pm

I made a mistake by not checking before buying US spec MURANO. Kindly someone advise where I can get full service of my 2011 Murano. I fully agree with one of our forum members comment that the buyer use all sentimental statements that his wife was driving the car, money needed for some unexpected issues etc. etc. I am able to get agency repair full comprehensive insurance. I am wondering how local dubai dealer would refuse to service the car? Is his statement is genuine that he has no service capability? Please any lead on FULL SERVICE provider name would appreciate.
svenks

My Ride: Murano
My Profession: Engr
My Dream Ride: Audi

Previous

Return to Imported Second Hands