Jaguar Cancels C-X75 Supercar

Stay current with daily news updates from local and international press.

Moderator: azi malik

Jaguar Cancels C-X75 Supercar

Postby azi malik on Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:23 am

Jaguar-C-X75_Concept_2010_1280x960_wallpaper_03-623x446.jpg
Jaguar-C-X75_Concept_2010_1280x960_wallpaper_03-623x446.jpg (53.92 KiB) [ Viewed 424254 times ]
Jaguar-C-X75_Concept_2010_1280x960_wallpaper_03-623x446.jpg [ 53.92 KiB | Viewed 424254 times ]

Jaguar and its performance cars have always been iconic. Witness the classic E-type or the XJ220 supercar. That car was born thanks to an under-the-radar project by its employees. The rest is history. Lately, Jaguar has taken much more of an interest in drawing on its performance heritage.

At the Paris Motor Show earlier this year, Jaguar introduced its much-awaited F-type sports car. The company is hailing it as an example for future models to come. In 2010, at the Geneva Motor Show, Jaguar introduced the C-X75 concept. It was a stunning supercar design, with an elegance unique to Jaguar. At the time it seemed to be just a pie-in-the-sky design exercise.

Jaguar C X75 Concept 2010 1280x960 wallpaper 0f 623x445 Jaguar Cancels C X75 Supercar

After an incredible reception by the automotive press and public attendees of the Geneva show, Jaguar announced a year later that it would be produced in a limited run. One of the major elements of the car was its turbine powertrain. For production, the car would use an equally advanced but less costly hybrid set-up. There would be electric motors working in concert with a 1.6-liter super and turbo-charged (also known as twin-charging) engine, making 500 horsepower.

This would serve as a generator to charge the car’s battery pack. This set-up means the car would never be on gasoline power only, and in electric-only mode, the car could travel at speeds up to 40 mph. An eco-friendly supercar, imagine that. Alas, it was not meant to be. Via Autocar, Jaguar Global Brand Director Adrian Hallmark has announced that Jaguar has cancelled the 200 unit production run of the C-X75. The reason? “We feel we can make the car work, but looking at the global austerity measures in place now, it seems the wrong time to launch an 800,000-pound to 1 million-pound supercar.” Given all the cut-backs, Jaguar probably decided the bad optics of launching an extravagant supercar outweighed the benefits.

source:Read Article
azi malik
F1 Racer
F1 Racer

My Ride: I don't know what I ride
My Profession: automotive consultant
My Dream Ride: dunoo

Return to Latest News