How easy it is to get an MC license?

Discuss motor bikes, bike clubs, sport bikes, quad-biking, enduro bikes, dirt bikes,...

Moderator: azi malik

How easy it is to get an MC license?

Postby Anders on Thu Sep 08, 2005 9:47 pm

Fellow Bikers!
I am looking into getting a motorbike license to ride in Dubai. I have a car license for Dubai (got it transferred from Sweden).

What is the procedure? How long is the course? How difficult is the test?
Anders

Postby Ali on Sun Sep 11, 2005 12:29 am

It's really easy to get a MC license here compared to Europe where you need to go through all sorts of crazy tests.

The procedure as I recall was the following:

- Go to one of the larger driving schools like Belhasa or Emirates Driving.
- Take your passport and your car license with you. Some times they may require your company letter, but I dont think you really need it.
- You may need to re-take your eye examination.
- Pay the fee for getting the green learners card and a minumum of 8-10 classes. I remember it all coming to around 700-800 Dhm.
- If you go to Belhasa on Wasl Road in Jumeirah Dubai, they will get everything done for you within 30 seconds. They have the eyesight guy, the police, everyone under one roof...very practical.
- They will tell you when to come - normally wait time is around 1 week.

Your classes are daily on Honda CD 250 motorbikes. The trainers are not that great in my opinion, but what do you expect for the money you pay.

The first test is for doing an "8" on your bike. They will make you practice a lot for this, and you need to be able to do a perfect 8 in gear 1, without using your feet on the ground. If you pass this, then you move on to the road test.

At Belhasa, both the 8 test and road test were done inside their premises. The police examiner comes in a car, and asks you to do the course. The course is very simple, and you will be given ample training of it. You need to be very bad or unlucky to screw this up.

All in all, you can pull off getting a license within 8-10 days. Just make sure for your own sake that you also learn how to ride. When I took my license, I made a point to actually take extra classes and learn and also practice outside the Belhasa complex. You need to talk to your trainer about this.

Hope this helps!
Ali
Ali
Cruiser
Cruiser

Postby Anders on Mon Sep 12, 2005 8:29 pm

Thanks! I had one question. Is there a written or theory test required or do I skip it as I have a car drivers license?

Thnx
Anders
Anders

Postby Ali on Tue Oct 04, 2005 1:11 am

Hey..if you have a car license, you do NOT need to take "signal" test again!
Ali
Cruiser
Cruiser

Postby Guest on Thu Nov 24, 2005 11:16 pm

Ali wrote:Hey..if you have a car license, you do NOT need to take "signal" test again!

i heard belhasa is providing online signal test practise. since ive strated my light motor vehicle classes at belhasa i would like to know which is the site and procedures for the same.
thank you.
sem.

Online Test

Postby Gazza on Fri Nov 25, 2005 8:21 pm

Gazza

Re: How easy it is to get an MC license?

Postby Antchi on Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:44 pm

Hi all,

I'm new to this site and had some questions regarding the MC license. Thank you Ali, you answered most of them before me asking :)

I drive bikes regularly on tracks or private land but dont have the license...so its time to get one I guess :P

Once you have passed the license, where can you find a good bike dealer and how does the insurance work? I prefer a yamaha R1 but could consider a Honda CBRrr.

Thanks in advance for any input.
Antchi

My Ride: BMW 320i
My Profession: Technical Engineer
My Dream Ride: E39 BMW M5

Postby root on Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:22 pm

Finding a bike is not as hard as finding someone who will insure it!

I guess you mean second hand bikes - well, first advice is to search on this site. If someone is selling in UAE, its probably advertised here for sale as well.

Otherwise, you can go to places like Motorcycle City in Al-Awir, and there numerous places in Sharjah with Japanese imported second hands (normally smaller bikes).

I think there are some posts earlier on this forum discussing both insurance and bike shops. Try those out if the information is not too outdated.
Come and discuss at the most lively forums about Cars, Bikes, 4x4s...at http://www.autodealer.ae at the Autodealer UAE Forums.
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

My Ride: VW Touareg V8 2005
My Profession: Car Enthusiast
My Dream Ride: This month: Nissan GT-R

Postby Antchi on Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:13 pm

Thanks for the reply Root,

I would actually prefer brand new if possible, I'm tired of cowboy sellers who have neglected their bikes and spend £20 on them just before they sell them. I've spent most of my time fixing such bikes than riding them :/

I'll look into the old posts like you said....thanks again!
Antchi

Postby root on Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:33 pm

For new ones, just got to Yamaha or Honda and order it :)
Come and discuss at the most lively forums about Cars, Bikes, 4x4s...at http://www.autodealer.ae at the Autodealer UAE Forums.
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

My Ride: VW Touareg V8 2005
My Profession: Car Enthusiast
My Dream Ride: This month: Nissan GT-R

Postby Antchi on Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:04 pm

hehe, that is what I'm going to do. Lets just hope that they have the bike in stock so I dont have to wait! :)

Cheers mate!
Antchi

Postby jacob374 on Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:42 am

i heard belhasa is providing online signal test practise. since ive strated my light motor vehicle classes at belhasa i would like to know which is the site and procedures for the same.
jacob374

My Ride: I don't know what I ride
My Profession: N any
My Dream Ride: BMW

Return to Motor Biking