Toyota Celica

Discuss how to tune up vehicles, whats legal and whats not, where to get mods done, body kits, spoilers, ...

Moderator: azi malik

Re: Toyota Celica

Postby T.N.T on Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:19 am

You won't have a problem if you act fast and get it before Jan 2009.
One thing though, there is not a single garage that services rotary. So if you are planning to keep a total DIY project, go ahead.
There was no GCC spec RX-7 so you won't find anything that you'll need to make it one.
Give respect, get respect.
T.N.T
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Postby knshaboo on Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:44 am

T.N.T you definitely know your way around the automotive industry, mind if i ask what you do?

i heard about the rotary thing, i actually heard a team from australia are coming and are going to be based in dubai, now aussies are rotary gurus and supposedly its a team (not employing slave labour)

soon as i follow it up ill let you guys know.

but anyway this gcc spec thing, what are the specs and how do you them t.n.t?
knshaboo
Rookie
Rookie

My Ride: www.cirtauae.com

Postby T.N.T on Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:19 pm

I don't work in the automotive industry, wish I did though! It always feels good to do what you like and make a living through that.
I don't think I'm really understanding you. GCC specs basically means cars that were made exclusively for this market and were sold here. Think of it as 'GCCDM', you know, just like USDM and JDM. There is nothing you can do to the RX-7 to make it 'GCCDM' because a 'GCCDM' RX-7 never existed in the first place :!:
Now if you mean to say that "Will my car pass the various tests here?", then I'll say yes it will pass and will be road legal as long as it is not a "converted to LHD from RHD" model. (Which I'm guessing it will be since Aussies use RHD cars)
If you have any more queries, feel free to ask. We're here to help you :)
T.N.T
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Postby knshaboo on Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:44 am

T.N.T id love to know what you think is lacking in this dubai/uae industry?

what do want to see in this country (ie rotary garages, garage teams, car mods, engine mods)

for example you know the industry, if you had the chance and money what would you "open" in uae. away from generic standards if you know what i mean.

dont get a chance to speak to enthusiasts often who actually know what they are talking about.

looking forward to your response
knshaboo
Rookie
Rookie

Postby knshaboo on Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:46 am

changes/improvements.

i think you get my point?
knshaboo
Rookie
Rookie

Postby T.N.T on Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:43 pm

Dubai almost has everything in the cosmetics department. You can get any visual mods done to your car here, from chromium paint to custom chopped-off roofs, we've got it all. The 'bling' industry also got a big boost during the Motorshow last year when West Coast Customs of the US unveiled their plans to open their only chain outside the US in the UAE.
The performance side is a bit lacking though. We don't really have good chip tuners, for eg. no one can tune a Hondata ECU properly (despite Honda being the most popular brand for all kinds of enthusiasts here). Plus non-custom (as in 'ready-made') performance parts and accessories are sold really expensive here, so are the cosmetic kits. If a Trust lip kit costs 2000 USD from the factory, here it is sold for 8000 USD. So basically people like me end up buying parts on the internet and getting them shipped here and it still is cheaper than the local prices even after considering exorbitant shipping charges of online stores which ship here.

To sum it all up, if I had to open something, I'd have a garage with a proper dyno setup and experienced chip tuners who can do quality work. Plus I'd be selling performance parts of popular brands (HKS, Greddy, Apexi, Trust, Tanabe, Skunk2, C-West to name a few) for a reasonable profit margin.
T.N.T
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Postby T.N.T on Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:49 pm

Oh and about rotary, there is no scene for rotary cars/engines here. There isn't a single RX-7 or RX-8 'in the scene'. There used to be a RX-7 some time ago but it was running on a swapped 2JZ-GTE. Don't know where that went.
We have loads of Lumina SSs here, a car that is known as the Holden Commodore down under. :)
T.N.T
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Postby Fokkae on Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:54 pm

Fokkae Ola, Has anyone seen the used car market in ajman, I've seen many GTRs a supra and few more integra cabrona ,sx puta, GTO and the acura nsx car, many people are selling their cars because of this law of old school cars but its strange that converted cars can only be sold to locas, wtf?

the one responsible for the cars is a human encyclopedia about cars he say a v4 light car is better than v8 hefty car because of straight line factor. has anyone heard of such a thing? then I might as well getting a 1.2 body and stuffing it with 200-300 hp that sounds like a plan because no wonder many reigning jap spec cars have small engines, the light body dosent need the extra power of fat engine. fakok :lol:
Fokkae
Tuner
Tuner

My Ride: 1968 El Camino Puto

Postby root on Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:16 pm

yepp, it's basic physics...a light-weight body with a smaller engine can out-run a heavy one with a big engine. It's also more nimble (less momentum/inertia) to do curves, etc. Weight and body width does bring in stability.

Having said that, the aerodynamics, the way the car shifts power to the wheels, and even the tires also have great effects. So, I would not just go by weight and engine size, but the engineering behind those vehicles as well.
Come and discuss at the most lively forums about Cars, Bikes, 4x4s...at http://www.autodealer.ae at the Autodealer UAE Forums.
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

My Ride: VW Touareg V8 2005
My Profession: Car Enthusiast
My Dream Ride: This month: Nissan GT-R

Postby root on Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:18 pm

Fokkae wrote:Fokkae Ola, Has anyone seen the used car market in ajman, I've seen many GTRs a supra and few more integra cabrona ,sx puta, GTO and the acura nsx car, many people are selling their cars because of this law of old school cars but its strange that converted cars can only be sold to locas, wtf?

Where about in Ajman is this show-room? Never been that far looking at cars.

And what's this only be sold to locals?
Come and discuss at the most lively forums about Cars, Bikes, 4x4s...at http://www.autodealer.ae at the Autodealer UAE Forums.
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

My Ride: VW Touareg V8 2005
My Profession: Car Enthusiast
My Dream Ride: This month: Nissan GT-R

Postby Fokkae on Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:55 pm

You know where there was an old crummy market behind the etisalat building but is shifting done some time go.the new location is on the ajman/Um al qawwain road where is big sign says "Ajman Car souks" i never knew that such a secluded place has so many legend-level cars stashed there. most of them have plate numbers and are registered as told by the man. the first I say is "I want Supra, how much?" he say the supra is converted from RHD to LHD and such cars cant be owned/sold except to uae nationals. I was surprised and asked him why he said its a rule like all the others. the place is worth a visit from anyone who likes japanese preformance automobiles. since ajman is close to uaq is makes sense that these owners choose to keep their cars there..if you happen to be from here and have extra money to spend you could end up rolling deep in one of those baby's laps.
Fokkae
Tuner
Tuner

Postby Fokkae on Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:27 pm

Fakok, One more thing...how does the subrau legacy differ from impreza. they both AWD and have v4 engines I'm thinking of getting a legacy since I saw one and looked real good I didnt think its an awd vehicle good price also for a 2003-2005 one..I dont want to drive something called impreza who the f&^% came up with this name? and are parts easily available? where?
Fokkae
Tuner
Tuner

Postby T.N.T on Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:03 pm

Parts not easily available. Subarus not popular in the UAE.
T.N.T
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Postby Fokkae on Sun Jul 06, 2008 2:09 pm

Why no one likes Subaru here...it's the "black tiger" in famous blockbuster DRIFT...so which parts are more available for a GTO or Subaru? Are there any specific places here that specialize in the maintenance of such cars
Fokkae
Tuner
Tuner

Postby T.N.T on Sun Jul 06, 2008 4:44 pm

GTO?
T.N.T
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

PreviousNext