Exporting from Dubai to Pakistan?

Discuss how to import cars privately, dos and donts, Japanese imports, German imports, Right-Hand-Drive, ....

Moderator: azi malik

Exporting from Dubai to Pakistan?

Postby Ziaullah on Tue Sep 06, 2005 8:35 pm

Can someone please share their experience on exporting second hand cars from Dubai to Pakistan? Is it better than importing directly from Japan?
Ziaullah

Postby TheEditor on Sat Sep 17, 2005 1:19 am

I hear its better from Japan! Most RHD imports to Dubai come from Japan anyway, so you will save the extra shipping cost.

But then there are cars that are not always available in Japan, specially the diesel 4x4s. Then these are normally exported from Dubai but are LHD.

I would suggest to go to Al-Aweer Right Hand car market and talk to a few dealers to get an idea. That is if you are in Dubai.
TheEditor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Second hand cars from dubai

Postby Guest on Sun Sep 18, 2005 11:54 am

Importing directly from Japan has another advantage, there are car associations in Lahore and Karachi that have to give an No-Objection certificate clearing the car for registration. The purpose of adding this step is to check if the car has been cleared for export from Japan, and this ensures that the car isn't stolen!! These associations check back with their counterpart agency in japan before clearing the car.

There are too many stolen vehicles being exported to re-export zones that are not required to run a security check (or documentation verification) as the cars are'nt for use in those countries (convenient way to manage/promote re-export!). The middle man takes his cut and leaves the buyer car-less if its discovered to be a stolen car, so watch out!

Anwar

Postby GigiAndretti on Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:22 pm

OK.. Folks. I might be living in the 90s.. :? but I thought there was a ban or something on importing second hand cars in Pakistan... Not the case anymore? Whats the latest?
What kind of duties do you pay? on the orignal price or the price you bought the second hand car at.. (goes both ways, I would import a 67 mustang and pay import on that price or a 5 year old Mercedes. Any thoughts of bring in cars directly from europe?

Thanks!
GigiAndretti
Tuner
Tuner

Postby Ziaullah on Wed Oct 12, 2005 12:27 am

Yes, they have changed the rules since the past 1-2 years. You are still stuck in the 90s I am afraid :)

You can import second hand under gift scheme or personal baggage/transfer or residence. Now the car can be older than 2 years, and the duty depreciation per year is 2% going upto a maximum of 50%. Duties are always on the original price...hey, otherwise everyone would declare theirs to be bought for $100!

You can bring in cars from Europe but Pakistan is RHD, so that basically means UK or Cyprus. It is much cheaper to get from Japan.

As you all can see, I've learnt something during the past month since I originally posted my questions!

Zia
Ziaullah

Postby GigiAndretti on Thu Oct 13, 2005 2:14 pm

Thanks for the info Ziaullah

So like.. How many cars can I import then? Is there a limit on that? and can I sell my imported car without any problems?

As for the duty structure.. If I get a Restored 1960 Ferrari GTE $70-$80K dollars and the orignal list price was 11,000. AT 2% per year, that is 50% off. So I am paying duty for a $5,500 Car? am I right?
that is a sweet deal :)

There has to be a catch.. There always is a catch! I dont remember too well now, but there was a customs officer who I was talking to once, and they are always trying to close those loopholes in cars that they KNOW are classic and cost more than the orignal price. I forgot how it was. Anyone informed on this?
Erm... CARS?
GigiAndretti
Tuner
Tuner

I think there is still an age limit

Postby Ziaullah on Thu Oct 13, 2005 4:03 pm

You pose a good question, I still believe there is an age limit on how old of car you can import, but then people do import vintage cars as well.

I would guess they will use the current price, to start the discount.

But, worth asking someone in customs about the 1960 Ferrari GTE.

How will you find someone to tune that ferrari engine....unless you can do that yourself! In that case, lets talk about a partnership :)
Ziaullah

Postby TLCPrado on Tue Nov 22, 2005 3:05 pm

@ zia

dude u are better off buying a locally assembled on. The time, cost and hassle isnt worth it

the localy made ones are ok...

and they command a good resale
TLCPrado

quality and waiting time

Postby Ziaullah on Tue Nov 22, 2005 3:57 pm

TLCPrado,
It is easist to buy local assembled but there are some problems:
* the quality of some local assembled are below what you get on a japanes import
* not latest engines are available e.g Corolla engine is not the same as you get in a new VVTI Corolla in dubai
* you are limited to a few models of cars
* there is a long waiting time or you need to pay "Oan" (a commission) on top of the actual price. basically the manufacturers and dealers and taking the consumers for a ride and the government is blind to them

I agree resale is better, and service is easier for local cars
Ziaullah

Postby Guest on Tue Nov 22, 2005 4:06 pm

TLCPrado,
It is easist to buy local assembled but there are some problems:
* the quality of some local assembled are below what you get on a japanes import

RE: only in regards to finishing

* not latest engines are available e.g Corolla engine is not the same as you get in a new VVTI Corolla in dubai

RE: wrong, the honda all have new engiine and now the 1.8 Altis corolla is available...

* you are limited to a few models of cars

Re: dude spare parts and repairabily are more important issues, e.g we bought a new a civic and with in one month some one hit our rear tail light.. parts were no problems

if u buy a unique type trust me u will look a fool over there.. u gonna get hit not matter what u do ...so it allways is better a local car even though it is inferior

* there is a long waiting time or you need to pay "Oan" (a commission) on top of the actual price. basically the manufacturers and dealers and taking the consumers for a ride and the government is blind to them

RE: we bought an auto so we did not pay for than RS50k premium and did have to wait a single day..

but point taken priemiums are a problem , but manufactures like honda r doubling production to more than 50 thousand units by 2006

RE: trust me buy locals ones , if u can buy hondas thier quality is much better than toyotas. cos honda is controlled by honda direct were as toyotas are controlled by habibs...they r rated as the worse licence manufactures out side japan

I agree resale is better, and service is easier for local cars

Honda vs Toyota

Postby Ziaullah on Tue Nov 22, 2005 7:10 pm

TCLPrado,
I believe that Toyota still has better resale value in Pakistan than Honda, right? But what you mention is that Honda is better quality, and I tend to agree with you as my dad owned both and the Honda was much more enjoyable.
Ziaullah

Shipping of cars from Dubai

Postby dubaiburdubai on Fri Nov 25, 2005 2:43 pm

We have our shipping setup for vehicles at the cheapest available rates from dubai to Karachi . Please contact Moin - 050 3497037
dubaiburdubai

How much for a Prado and BMW 316?

Postby Ziaullah on Fri Nov 25, 2005 8:10 pm

Moin,
Can you please tell me how much would it cost to transport a Toyota Prado from Dubai to Karachi?

Also the price for BMW 316? I am only looking for approximate prices.

Will the price include insurance?
Will the price include taxes/fees at the ports in Dubai and Karachi? (I do not mean customs taxes which will be done in Karachi separately)

THanks!
Ziaullah

Postby skylonexport on Sat Nov 26, 2005 5:52 am

Hi Zia,

I was wondering if you are tied up in the Automotive Industry in Pakistan?

Reason i'm asking is that I work for an Automotive Export company in Singapore and we recently sold a couple of cars to an Agent in Pakistan. I know that most of the world talks about imports from Japan (RHD) but what people are unaware of is that Singapore is slowly becoming a big competitor to the Japanese Auctions (price wise not quantity wise).

I believe that over the next few months there is going to be a lot more talk about cars from Singapore going to Karachi etc...

Anyway, if you are involved in the trade or can recommend some importers that might be interested in snapping up some bargains please drop me an email.

skylonexport...
skylonexport

singapore

Postby Ziaullah on Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:01 pm

I never thought that Singapore would be exporting given how expensive cars are in Singapore themselves. But, it does look interesting.

Why do you think Singapore will become a larger destination for used cars export? How is there access to a larger pool of cars at a cheaper price? (Somehow supply and demand does play in here I would believe).

I am not in the car business. Just been thinking for a while to import some cars into Pakistan and maybe do it as a side-business.
Ziaullah

Next

Return to Imported Second Hands