American-spec IS350 in UAE

Discuss how to import cars privately, dos and donts, Japanese imports, German imports, Right-Hand-Drive, ....

Moderator: azi malik

American-spec IS350 in UAE

Postby JETNBYU on Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:33 am

Is it (still) true that an American-spec Lexus IS350 can't run on the fuel available in UAE? I've seen on other forums that the direct injection engine can't handle the higher sulphur content in UAE.

Has the sulphur content issue been resolved? For their 2011 lineup, I see that Lexus has introduced a direct injection engine in their LS460 model...
JETNBYU

My Ride: I don't know what I ride
My Profession: Finance
My Dream Ride: Inquire within

Re: American-spec IS350 in UAE

Postby root on Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:06 am

Hmmm...good question, but I've never heard this issue on petrol engines. For diesel its well known that the TDI engines do not work with the available diesel in the market. That's the reason you don't see that many diesel cars in UAE (plus the fact that for some reason it is alleged that only Emiratis are allowed to register diesel vehicles).

Both the IS350 and LS460 are sold here in the local market. Maybe worth inquiring from Lexus directly in Japan or US and ask them this question. The local dealer will definitely try to discourage you to buy a grey-imported one, so they will be biased.

Another alternative is to go to some of the used car markets in Al-Awir or Ajman free zone. They have loads of US imported Lexuses, and probably would know what you are talking about.

Personally, I doubt there is any issue for petrol engine, but don't take my word for it.
Come and discuss at the most lively forums about Cars, Bikes, 4x4s...at http://www.autodealer.ae at the Autodealer UAE Forums.
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

My Ride: VW Touareg V8 2005
My Profession: Car Enthusiast
My Dream Ride: This month: Nissan GT-R

Postby JETNBYU on Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:34 pm

I was just in Dubai and I didn't see a single IS350. But I saw several IS300's. I talked to a dealership in Dubai and they said besides ONE US-spec IS250, they haven't seen any US-spec cars. The service manager also said they could only maintain the car mechanically but wouldn't be able to diagnose electrical problems due to not having the right equipment! I don't even see the IS350 listed in the Lexus lineup at the al-Futtaim website.

From others I've talked to recently, I tend to agree with you that the petrol won't be an issue. But maintaining the car could be more of a challenge.

If anybody that reads this owns an IS350 or knows of someone that owns one in UAE, would like to hear from you on your experience.
JETNBYU

My Ride: I don't know what I ride
My Profession: Finance
My Dream Ride: Inquire within

Postby thomasrandy on Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:25 am

What are the difference between the Japanese Spec anyway, I think it greatly varies on how the car look with its exterior and the requirement of the state on the specs on the accessories you can bolt on the car.
thomasrandy
Cruiser
Cruiser

My Ride: I don't know what I ride - Just Cruising around
My Profession: Merchandizer
My Dream Ride: Any Pickup truck

Repairing car with USA specification Dubai-who is able to w

Postby presbylux on Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:31 pm

Hi everyone,

I have a Hyundai Santa Fe imported from Alabama with US specification.

I am in a trouble here in Dubai, I didn't find anyone able to work on US specification.

Some technicians in different garages told me that they don't have the software for US specification.

I tried 4 different garages the last on, has worked on.
But It's worse than before currently my car doesn't have powerful. ( It's a V6 but if you Push the gaze the reaction is not like a V6 it's like a small car)

I need to find a good garage able to work on a car with US specification.

Could you help me?

Sabine
presbylux

My Ride: Hyundai Santa Fe (Imported In UAE from Alabama With US technical specification)
My Profession: finance
My Dream Ride: ...

Return to Imported Second Hands