Help on License and Car Registration

Discuss how to import cars privately, dos and donts, Japanese imports, German imports, Right-Hand-Drive, ....

Moderator: azi malik

Help on License and Car Registration

Postby spawn on Sun Jun 04, 2006 5:41 pm

Hi everyone!

I am moving from Oman to Abu Dhabi, UAE. I would appreciate if you would be able to advise me on the following:

1) I have a driving license issued by the Oman Traffice Police - the ROP. Would I be able to convert it to the Abu Dhabi, UAE driving licence without
giving any tests? Does Abu Dhabi Traffic Police recognise license of other GCC states and converts them to the Abu Dhabi License? I couldnt find any suitable information on the website.

2) I have a car registered in Oman. It is brand new and I dont intend to sell it. I prefer taking it with me to Abu Dhabi instead. Has anyone in the forum gone through the procedure before and would anyone help me on what is involved. My knowledge is only limited to the facts that i will have to cancel my registration and get export plates....How about the registration in abu dhabi? border check post requirements?

I look forward to any advice on the above...

Thanks and have a great day!
spawn

transfer

Postby root on Mon Jun 05, 2006 1:05 pm

I dont know the definitive answers but will guess:

1) If you have a license from a bunch of european and western countries, you can convert it. I have never heard that if you have a GCC license that it will be converted.

2) You will just need to export your car properly, and then go through the import procedures in UAE. Search on this forum (use the Search link on the top) and there is a discussion thread on what the procedure is. I guess you have already paid duty and am unsure if you have to re-pay it or not in UAE. I would think not.

Just a thought. Go talk with DynaTrade in Oman, who are the Toyota dealers. They also sell new Toyotas in Dubai which are brought in through Oman...kind of grey-market dealers. They might be able to answer a bunch of your export questions if you find someone friendly there.
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

My Ride: VW Touareg V8 2005
My Profession: Car Enthusiast
My Dream Ride: This month: Nissan GT-R

Return to Imported Second Hands