New car import from US

Discuss how to import cars privately, dos and donts, Japanese imports, German imports, Right-Hand-Drive, ....

Moderator: azi malik

New car import from US

Postby ouroborous on Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:23 am

Similar to my other thread, another option I'm exploring is importing a car from the US. MB in particular are quite a bit cheaper at the moment if you go for a US made model.

The email I got from customs said I just pay the 5% and go through the standard registration process for an imported car. Can anyone confirm this is the case for a NEW car? I presume I just need a recovery van to come to the port with me, pay the customs guys and transport it to Tasjeel for registration.

I've imported quite a few large things from the US but with something as big as a car you want to make sure it's going to work!

Cheers
ouroborous
Rookie
Rookie

Postby root on Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:50 am

Yes, I believe you are right. This I can say from my experience.

At customs, the car is cleared by your handling agent. You pay the 5% and get the green registration slip.
You need to take the car to Tasjeel on a recovery truck for inspection of chassis number etc, and they will give you a registration. Then its the same as registering locally (i.e, get insurance, etc).

The only thing you should check with the custom handling agent is what is required for the import custom clearance. I believe they want to see the ownership papers and bill of lading from where it is exported. Question is the ownership papers have to be in your name or could it be just the car dealer in US. I would guess it to be safer to get it registered in your name in US and then export it, as then there's no ambiguity.
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

My Ride: VW Touareg V8 2005
My Profession: Car Enthusiast
My Dream Ride: This month: Nissan GT-R

Postby root on Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:56 am

At customs, the car is cleared by your handling agent. You pay the 5% and get the green registration slip.
You need to take the car to Tasjeel on a recovery truck for inspection of chassis number etc, and they will give you a registration. Then its the same as registering locally (i.e, get insurance, etc).

The only thing you should check with the custom handling agent is what is required for the import custom clearance. I believe they want to see the ownership papers and bill of lading from where it is exported. Question is the ownership papers have to be in your name or could it be just the car dealer in US. I would guess it to be safer to get it registered in your name in US and then export it, as then there's no ambiguity.
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby root on Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:07 am

root
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ewap8 on Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:42 pm

triple post! point made!
ewap8
Drift King
Drift King

My Ride: Infiniti FX (2010)
My Profession: N/A
My Dream Ride: Aston Martin V12 Vantage

Postby root on Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:08 pm

hehe..trying to reach 1600 posts!

Actually, it was a 'refresh' problem...i refreshed too many times.
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby mazdarx8 on Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:18 am

some good info here for anyone who wants to import a car from the US into UAE.

If its a US car, and it has no problems (really good condition) and its 2000-2002, will it be just a 5% tax off the paid price of the car with proof through the bill of sale, or will it be 5% off from a local (UAE) government assigned value on that car's year, model and miles?

Will it be 5% regardless fo coupe, sports, 4 door, suv, etc?

I'm looking at a sports coupe.

I saw that this user posted info on a NEW car. what about a used sports car?
mazdarx8
Cruiser
Cruiser

Postby root on Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:00 am

Its the same for new or old cars. 5%.
The value that is used as the base I am not really sure. I would guess they have their own price with depreciation list for all cars, as otherwise everyone would fake the receipts to show a lower value.

If you are importing the car to re-export, then make sure you tell the customs that as there's another category for that. In that case you get 5% refunded when the car is re-exported (must be done within 6 months).
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby mazdarx8 on Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:34 am

thank you root, the info is higly appreciated.

how hard is it to get a loan? I will be coming into the country and expecting to get a loan withing 3 months, for a used import. I'd put about 15% down as well.
mazdarx8
Cruiser
Cruiser

Postby root on Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:31 pm

Getting a car loan for a used import vehicle ain't gonna be easy!

Unless the car is quite new and sold from a reputable car dealer who has good bank contacts. Even then I doubt they will finance upto 85% of the value.

You see the car finance guys don't want to finance an amount that will not fetch back their loan amount if they have to sell it (if you don't pay back the loan and they confiscate the car). They don't take risks here on that.

The other criteria they will give you high loans is that you have a job at a reputable company and can get a salary certificate.
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby mazdarx8 on Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:01 pm

Root,

Thats what I hear as well. A salary cert is gonna be easy, and I am moving due to a job opportunity. Is there any other loan option, other than a used car loan? Can I take out, say, a personal loan and use it to import a car?

Is it hard to obtain car loans: to import a used car, to buy a used car in the UAE or both?
mazdarx8
Cruiser
Cruiser

Postby Pacific on Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:43 am

Its worth taking a Personal loan to buy a used car, firstly the rate of interest is lower for a personal loan compared to a used car loan. One more big advantage is the car is on your name and not on bank’s name (theoretically speaking). If you plan to sell it off then again one doesn’t need to pay handling fees and route the procedures through bank
Pacific
Ride Pimper
Ride Pimper

Postby root on Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:25 pm

Pacific is right!
Over here banks die to give you personal loans, so there is a lot to choose from. You will need a salary certificate from a reputable company though as you have no credit history in the country.
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby mazdarx8 on Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:22 am

Thank you Pacific and Root,

So my best bet would be to obtain a personal loan and use that to import the car, rather than a used car loan. That is well noted. My dad works in Abu Dhabi. Does something like co-signing for a loan (by my dad) help in getting a loan and keeping it at a low interest rate? That is how it is done in the US, if the primary loan holder has not established enough credit to warrant a loan or a good interest rate.
mazdarx8
Cruiser
Cruiser

Postby Pacific on Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:07 pm

I suggest your dad should take a loan on his name and you pay him back in instalments and in turn he repays the bank. Unlike US banks here in UAE don’t have a policy of primary and secondary loan holder. One more thing to note is the banks charge 1% - 2% as handling fees, be aware that banks sometimes don’t give the requested amount of loan and instead they issue a ‘safer’ and lower loan amount. In such a case the bank should inform you prior whether the loan amount is acceptable or not.

You can always shift to another bank before they actually issue the loan amount.
Pacific
Ride Pimper
Ride Pimper

Next

Return to Imported Second Hands