Importing from Oman

Discuss how to import cars privately, dos and donts, Japanese imports, German imports, Right-Hand-Drive, ....

Moderator: azi malik

Importing from Oman

Postby ouroborous on Sun Feb 24, 2008 2:50 pm

Hi,

The German car I want has a 1 year wait in the UAE but is available fairly quickly from Oman. As a private individual, I presume I can buy the car in Oman and even insure with a UAE policy that covers Oman if I can get the VIN in advance etc.

So if I want to drive it back via Hatta/Al Ain, can anyone help with the following:

- Where would I get export plates from untill registered in Dubai
- Do I have to pay any sort of Oman export tariff
- Dubai import tariff
- This is for a new car - is it any different to used?

Thanks,
ouroborous
Rookie
Rookie

Postby root on Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:46 pm

You can probably save yourself the hassle and ask the dealer selling you the car to get it sent over to Dubai. Many of them do this or will put you in touch with someone who does.

Lemme guess, you are looking into buying a Porsche?
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

My Ride: VW Touareg V8 2005
My Profession: Car Enthusiast
My Dream Ride: This month: Nissan GT-R

Postby ouroborous on Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:51 pm

Hi Root,

Good guess, maybe.. They definitely will not bring it in for me as they have to be seen to sticking to the parallel import rules. Fat lot of good it does with the wait times at all the German dealerships these days.

So are you aware of export/import rules? Is it just the standard 5% - I'm pretty sure there will be no problem getting it registered here.
ouroborous
Rookie
Rookie

Postby root on Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:33 pm

Well, I am not 100% sure on what needs to be done for Oman. Both vehicles go under a 5% GCC duty. Question is if you need to pay in UAE again and get the Omani duty refunded somehow, or you can get away by just paying it once in Oman.

The import procedure is that you need to get it custom-cleared first where they give you a green slip with the import registration paper.
You take this to the vehicle testing/registration office to get it transferred onto your name in UAE. Prior to that you need insurance, etc.

Are you planning on getting an Omani plate/registration and drive it over?

I've seen a lot of new cars without plates in trucks passing the Hatta border. There seem to be companies that will transport the vehicle for you, even if its not the dealer.
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ouroborous on Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:20 pm

Thanks - looking more - This article is quite informative:
http://www.alshindagah.com/august/auto.htm

I'm assuming I've paid my tax when the car is delivered to me (in Oman) so it's just a question of proving ownership. If it is indeed an economic free zone.

I feel there will be a problem somewhere however if the car is never registered or the dealer will not list it as for re-export.

I hope your site builds up a good knowledge base for this kind of thing and also US import.
ouroborous
Rookie
Rookie

Postby root on Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:30 am

good article!

So, in Oman it's a bit like Dubai as well that you can import a car "for re-export". It has to say "For re-export" in the custom papers to get the customs back when exporting. You have I believe 6 months to do that "re-export".

But the article also implies that the dealers in Oman do that. Hence, back to my point to talk with the dealers there on the best way.

I know for sure that the Toyota/Lexus dealer there exports cars to UAE.
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ouroborous on Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:16 am

I guess if you have a dealer that is non re-export friendly (MB, Porsche, BMW), then I just pay the full value of the car in Oman.

My point/question is that then at the border the Oman customs could not charge you for anything (because import duty was in the price) and UAE does not check these borders.

The problem is my car would have never been registered in Oman assuming I get a high loader to bring it back - but I'm not sure this is a problem. Maybe I need to take a trip to the traffic dept! I'll keep the thread updated if I go this route
ouroborous
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Importing from Oman

Postby srunner on Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:07 pm

Hi
So where are you up to? Have you finally succeed the operation?
Do you know how many re-export cars are in the UAE -- imported from Oman?
any clue where I can find information on that.
Thanks
srunner

My Ride: I don't know what I ride

Return to Imported Second Hands