import cars from UAE to Europe

Discuss how to import cars privately, dos and donts, Japanese imports, German imports, Right-Hand-Drive, ....

Moderator: azi malik

import cars from UAE to Europe

Postby nicubila on Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:51 pm

Hi anyone,

could not find any thread about exporting cars, but it is anyway related.
Does anyone knows more about the polution specifications for the cars available in UAE? I want to import a car from UAE to EU and I don't know if the cars here comply with the euro 3, 4 or 5 standards. If not, the taxes would be very high and does not make ny sense to send it from Dubai.

thanks a lot,
Marius
nicubila
Rookie
Rookie

Postby root on Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:51 pm

Pollution specs for the imports here are the same as the ones that go to Europe...they just don't advertise much about it here as taxes are not related to pollution ratings.

The best is to only take car models that are also sold in Europe as well.

I know many European expats living in countries with high car prices take their car after driving it a year or so here, and are able to sell them off sometimes even making a profit. But they normally are buying European cars in that case.

For Japanese and US makes you will need to be a bit more vary as many of those models never are exported to Europe (many times due to the environmental ratings).

If you want to get the rating checked, I am sure you can get it done at Tasjeel as they have computers that check exhaust emissions.
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

My Ride: VW Touareg V8 2005
My Profession: Car Enthusiast
My Dream Ride: This month: Nissan GT-R

Postby T.N.T on Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:43 pm

What country are you planning to export to? Bear in mind that we have LHD cars here.
Give respect, get respect.
T.N.T
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Postby nicubila on Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:56 am

Yes, LHD is what I am looking for. I want to export it to Romania, and as part of EU, regulations apply strictly.
Root, thanks for the tip. If I understand well, it means that if one car model, (i.e. Toyota Yaris), is sold around the world, including Europe, it has the same polution standards?
Finaly, is there any exhaustive info source where I can find what models are produced where (which in europe, which in Japan)?

thanks
nicubila
Rookie
Rookie

Postby root on Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:06 pm

Well, you need to be careful on some of the models that are built for different markets. For years, car manufacturers had a slightly different model they sold in California, USA than the rest of USA as California had really stringent laws, and to comply to them meant extra cost per car for the manufacturer.

Mainly for the European brands like Mercedes, BMW, VW, Audi, Volvo, Saab, Jaguar, Peugeot you will find that they have standard models they sell in EU also coming into Middle-East (after all middle-east is only 1-5% of their market).

The manufacturers should have this information and should be on their websites, but I've not often seen this.
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby nicubila on Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:13 pm

I was talking to auto-plus dealer about shipping cars and he was mentioning a 5,000 dirhams tax for every car exported (export tax). on top of that, is the shipping rate.

Is this fixed tax (5,000) he was mentioning real? or is just for new cars? never heard about it.

For shipping the cars, does anyone know a reliable with good prices shipping company?

thanks
nicubila
Rookie
Rookie

Postby root on Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:47 pm

Never heard of export tax! There is the export license and clearance with customs but that is a few hundred dirhams.
That is unless something new has been levied from 1-Jan.
The GCC common market also started this year..wonder if it has to do with that.
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

audi q7 brand new model 2007 euro2 pollution norm

Postby framo on Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:33 pm

nicubila,

it was in 2006 september when i purchased in abu dhabi an audi q7, brand new, 0 km.

within a year (sep07) my company relocated me back to europe, switzerland.

was very surprised and disappointed when i was told that my car can not be registered in europe (home country romania) not being compliant with the regulations.

have sent car's particulars to the manufacturer and they confirmed it was euro2 only; reason: the gcc market is not requiring higher norms.

now i have to spend some eur3-5k for upgrading.

my mistake was that i did not check the car prior purchasing, as i knew will bring it out from uae sometime.

as an advice, send the specs of the car to the manufacturer to check pollution level.

brgds.
framo

Postby root on Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:41 pm

framo! Great information. I've learnt something useful myself.

And welcome to the forum!

Do you know what the difference between Euro2 and Euro3 is?
What extra stuff did you need to get done?
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yes, very dissapointing...

Postby nicubila on Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:39 pm

Hi framo,

Thanks for sharing the info.

just lernt today that starting with 1 Jan 08 Romania adopted the regulation as well, meaning that any car that was not registered in UE and has lower than euro 4 standards cannot be registred anymore. For instance, an Audi which has Euro 3 but was registered only in UAE, cannot be registered unless it has euro 4. And I don't think there are many cars that have Euro 3 in UAE, not to mention euro 4.
Still, have to check. Do you think that contacting the manufacturer is the only way I can learn about the emission a car has? I don't know exactly how can I do that.
nicubila
Rookie
Rookie

Postby T.N.T on Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:46 pm

Try searching on the net, I could do that for you. Which car are you planning to buy?
Give respect, get respect.
T.N.T
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Postby nicubila on Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:10 am

I look mostly for european cars (Audi, VW, Peugeot, BMW), but now it is not anymore a matter of brand as much as a matter of finding the car that has this euro 4 in UAE. audi a3, peugeot 307cc would be examples. the problem is that the same model in europe has euro 4 while in UAE only euro 2. to upgrade you have to change not only parts of the engine, but also parts of the body in order to comply with recycling norms.
nicubila
Rookie
Rookie

Postby arfatislam on Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:29 pm

can anyone tell me how can i export a ford mustang to india n plz specify any dealers if you know
arfatislam

Postby root on Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:24 am

arfatislam wrote:can anyone tell me how can i export a ford mustang to india n plz specify any dealers if you know

Arfat, welcome to the Forums!
Please create a new topic for this question, and we'll try to answer it there.
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Yes, very dissapointing...

Postby root on Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:35 am

nicubila wrote:Hi framo,

Thanks for sharing the info.

just lernt today that starting with 1 Jan 08 Romania adopted the regulation as well, meaning that any car that was not registered in UE and has lower than euro 4 standards cannot be registred anymore. For instance, an Audi which has Euro 3 but was registered only in UAE, cannot be registered unless it has euro 4. And I don't think there are many cars that have Euro 3 in UAE, not to mention euro 4.

This sound weird to me. Are you sure that the rules are same for new as well as used cars? It is understandable that there are new rules for new cars, but for used cars normally things are more lapse, otherwise a lot of people would go out of business. What happens to the rally drivers and the veteran collectors?

In Europe, there were always ways around this. Many who imported cars from USA did it via a 'transit' land like Germany where the regulations are less stringent, and first get it registered there before taking it elsewhere within the EU.

Also, my understanding about these various Euro classifications are that they are used to determine your car/road tax with the lower values having higher tax...not that you could not register those. But hey, we need to save mother earth, so I can't blame the greens for pushing this agenda. ;)
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to Imported Second Hands