Import a Volvo TDI in Dubai: Expat coming soon

Discuss how to import cars privately, dos and donts, Japanese imports, German imports, Right-Hand-Drive, ....

Moderator: azi malik

Import a Volvo TDI in Dubai: Expat coming soon

Postby alanj on Sun Sep 02, 2007 9:40 pm

Dear All,

I will come in Dubai as an expatriate from the end of October.
Could you let me know if Volvo are easy to maintain in Dubai?

I currently live in france and I have a volvo engined by Audi TDI engine and in fact I currently hesitate to export it to Dubai.
It has proved to be very reliable in France and I do not have too much money to buy a new one now in Dubai.

I know that Diesel is more costly than fuel but... i really enjoy driving my TDI car
What about insurance of a TDI car in Dubai?
Do you know if service shop can get spare parts from a model that was never produced in UAE?
For your information, the engine in my Volvo is the 2.5 TDI 5 Cylinder from Audi A6.
There is no particule filter on it and it's one of the primitive TDI engine so I think it can run with high sulfure Diesel

Thanks in advance for any advice on the subject.
alanj
Rookie
Rookie

Postby alanj on Sat Sep 08, 2007 3:45 pm

Ok, then indeed it was worth looking on the forum search engine tool and adequate answers were given regarding transportation and registration.

The basic question I still have is regarding GCC specs.
Basically, the car has never been produced in UAE and in the gulf with the TDI engine.
Do you know if I would like to improve the cooling system what could be done and a garage that can carry some modifications on the cooling system?
I guess, that we are always free to change the front fan to improve cooling. Where to do it ?
I don't want to go to Volvo because they may say that they do not know this engine...
alanj
Rookie
Rookie

volvo

Postby root on Sat Sep 08, 2007 8:38 pm

How old is this car?
I've never heard of a Volvo with a TDI Audi engine, so quite curious about what the model and year is.

Cooling system is not a problem. There are a number of workshops that'll do that for you. It normally means upgrading the radiator and the thermostat gauge. Its worth going to a proper garage to get this done, as the lame garages will just bypass the control so the fan is on full-time. You dont need to go to Audi or Volvo for this, as many other garages do that. It is quite common to import European, Japanese, US second hands into this market and they all require this.

The other thing to also think about is your Air Conditioning. It gets warm here , or let me say, gets very hot here. So, you ought to have a good heavy duty AC. Maybe you already have one, but otherwise, that's a cost for a few thousand dirhams easily.

Regarding TDI engines, you dont see that many of those here. But I've seen a few on the road lately, which means they are coming and getting registered. I dont know what the hassle of registration may be. Earlier I know that in some GCC countries they did not allow registration of Diesel cars, but that must have changed.

For repair of TDI, there are a number of non-agency Audi/VW workshops in Dubai, Sharjah that you may go to. Depends on the type of work, but we have literally 100's of workshops so you oughta find someone to repair it cheaply.

Insurance. Well, they normally do not ask if the engine is TDI, etc. They will go for the registered make and model. If its registered as a sports car then the premium goes up.
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

My Ride: VW Touareg V8 2005
My Profession: Car Enthusiast
My Dream Ride: This month: Nissan GT-R

Postby alanj on Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:33 pm

Thanks for these excellent recommandations.
You will laugh when I say the model it is:

I mean what I love in this car is its reliability: 345 000 km without any problem and no oil consumption neither cooling water!

I also had a Volvo S70 2.5 T like you have many in the Gulf and I sold it at 200 000 km with oil consumption and requirements for servicing regularly

If any of you know some cheap and reliable garages that could modify the cooling system adequatly, I would appreciate.
Indeed, it should not be so difficult as there is no much electronic in this car compared to the new ones.

Last, regarding the TDI engines in volvo cars, it has been produced between 1996 and 2001 on 850, S70&V70 and S80. The engine is the 2.5 TDI with 5 cylinders and 140 CV that was on the Audi A6.
It's one of the most reliable TDI engines. Performance is quite good with 290 Nm Torque available with a good efficiency.
Fuel consumption is very low: 6.5L/100 km average.
What else?
Maximum speed 202 km/h and 0-100 km/H in 9.9 s

Don't laugh if I say that I really like this car and this engine
alanj
Rookie
Rookie

Postby T.N.T on Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:37 pm

You'd be better off selling it and buying a new ride when you get here.
Give respect, get respect.
T.N.T
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Postby alanj on Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:38 pm

Above is a pic of the engine
alanj
Rookie
Rookie

Postby WSF on Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:48 pm

Sounds fun as a highway car especially with that tourquey TD.. Still its a risk to get it here... Volvos are rare & spareparts are expensive... Volvo's aircon wont stand a chance in this heat.. Last but not least our diesel is of hi-sulfur poor quality... Since you like it too much; i think you should keep it where it belongs, France..
WSF
Street Racer
Street Racer

Re: Import a Volvo TDI in Dubai: Expat coming soon

Postby matt-lee on Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:11 pm

hi my friends,
am matt from china .
we can offer some kind second-hand car and spare parts. if want buy from china ,contact matt16688@gmail.com
matt-lee
Cruiser
Cruiser

My Ride: I don't know what I ride
My Profession: salesman
My Dream Ride: benze

Return to Imported Second Hands