Insurance

Discuss motor bikes, bike clubs, sport bikes, quad-biking, enduro bikes, dirt bikes,...

Moderator: azi malik

Insurance

Postby Ricky on Tue Nov 08, 2005 3:27 pm

Could someone advice me on how to get insurance on a bike. I have a bike licence which is about 6 mths. old and i will be turning 18 in a week and I am planning to buy a second hand bike(400 cc). Also, can i get it insured on my dad`s name, who has a car licence.
Ricky

No real loop-holes

Postby Ferrari on Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:43 pm

I looked into this. Someone asked this question earlier as well on this forum (Craig?).

Bottom line is that Insurance companies are smarter than we think and simply using your Dads license is not going to solve it, as he will have to put your name and age against the policy.

Furthermore, if he does not have a MC license, it is doubtful that he can insure the motorcycle at all.

Another thing to remember is that most insurance companies will only do 3rd party insurance on old motorbikes (even goes for old cars). So unless you are planning to buy something new or relatively new, you will only be able to get 3rd party.

I am afraid that with only 6 months license and your age group some insurance companies will not insure you, and others will have the highest premium rate as you are the highest risk group.

Normally insurance varies on the type of motorbike as well and power. I would think 400cc is already close to the high-premium level. Maybe you should start off with something smaller like 200 or 250 cc :)

What I would suggest you to do, and then also report back to us here is go to AGMC (BMW dealer) and the Harley-Davidson dealer on Sh Zayed Road...they are pretty close to each other, and talk to them about insurance and the companies they suggest. Normally new bike dealers have the "package" of financing and insurance to go.

Atleast that'll give you (and us all here) the right picture.
Ferrari
Ride Pimper
Ride Pimper

Postby Guest on Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:31 am

thankyou for your valuable advice, but i am not interested in a new bike, and i also got a little information from my firend who has a bike, he gave me a list of a few companys who do insure ppl in the age group of 18, which i will let you know later if you need it. And i will also be checking the companies you adviced me to check. Anyways thanks for your help.

Postby craig on Wed Nov 09, 2005 3:06 pm

hey ive already asked the same questions u have and ive already solved the problem however theres a few things u need first. one is u need to make sure ur dad has motorbike licence and then u need to go to motorcycle 3000 (inside dune centre) and ask the guy in there about insurance he will then give u a mobile number for a guy who works inside omega insurance brokers.. have a chat with him and explain ur situation and then should be able to get u insurace from new indian insurace company, however if u contact new indian directly they will say they dnt do insurance for bikes. ive tried everything and this is the only option that i have found. and to let u no i have 400cc second hand bike under my dads insurace as he has a bike licence and its only costing 650dhs a year

if ur dad doesnt have a licence then u maybe have to try and talk to this guy from omega very nicely and he might be able to get u insurance under ur name but it will be around 4 or 5 thousand dhs!

this will prob be a big help for u and i can kinda guess the trouble u are having lol, so i hope this information helps, and let me no if u get it sorted ok!!!
craig

Postby Ricky on Thu Nov 10, 2005 3:10 pm

thanks craig for the information you have provided me, i will have to visit the place like you said and thanks again
Ricky

Postby varshik on Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:25 am

hey craig can we get it insured on sum1 else's name?say my frnd;s name whos 23 or sumthin???cuz my dad dsnt hav a mc licence n is totally against me gettin a bike so everything has to b done frm my side...can u gimme the guy;s numbr who got it done for u(guess hez frm omega as u said) cud u mail me the details n his number on varshik89@hotmail.com
varshik
Tuner
Tuner

Return to Motor Biking