Suzuki Bandit 400

Discuss motor bikes, bike clubs, sport bikes, quad-biking, enduro bikes, dirt bikes,...

Moderator: azi malik

Suzuki Bandit 400

Postby ICE on Sat Sep 02, 2006 8:34 pm

Hi Guys,

Need some info on this bike. Kinda the history of it. When was it last Mfg. How is the engine quality, how to differentiate between the different years were there any upgrade.

I am getting one in red color for 3500, in the used bike market. However the person is not sure about the year of Mfg. because the owner of the bike left it without giving much information about it.

I guess the previous owner had changed the lights coz they weren't round like I had seen in the pictures.

How is the handling of the bike?

Thanks
ICE
Mod god
Mod god

My Ride: I ride a beast on the road, a maniac on tracks!
My Profession: IT Proffesional
My Dream Ride: DUCATI

Postby T.N.T on Sun Sep 03, 2006 3:40 pm

I know about the Bandit 400, it is a terrific bike for starters who don't have confidence and lack in heavy-bike experience. It's fun, sturdy and agile. Let me warn you that it isn't a comfortable bike for tall riders. The engine is an inline 4 which makes it wide and the fuel tank is large too so you may feel that it is heavier than it looks. If you can't flat-foot, don't buy it. It weighs about 200 kgs, but feels top-heavy when riding. Despite a small-displacement, the Bandit is certainly NOT a slow or under-powered bike. It can easily reach or exceed 100mph. the Bandit is a very high revving bike with a redline of 14,000 rpm! The Bandit has six-gears and you'll have to shift it a LOT to keep it's rpm in the sweet spot. The Bandit is surprisingly responsive at turns. It has excellent front and rear brakes too. Bandits have reliable smooth engines but the only thing that goes wrong if you don't mantain it well is fluid-lock. If the bike lies on it's side for some time, gasoline can collect in the cylinders and upon starting the bike, the cylinder heads can crack. Ensure you keep your carbeurettors clean once you get it and always leave it properly standing. The gas tank (from the inside) seems to rust soon too, so take care.
The Bandit was built from 1991-1993.

If the headlight is similar, then it is stock. You might want to print this picture and check the bikes overall condition.

There was no major upgrade so you can't really differentiate. but if the bike was bought from a local dealer and you a chassis or engine no. of some sort with you, you can certainly check out the dealer's database.

Hope this helps. :wink:
Give respect, get respect.
T.N.T
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Postby ICE on Sun Sep 03, 2006 6:59 pm

Hey TNT thanks for the info,

The head light was nowhere near to a round it was some ridiculous shape based on the lines of the Buell Lightning 9S. But trust me it looks out of place. I in fact was thinking that in case I buy that then I'd put round headlights.

About the manufacturing years I found out about the Bandit 400 and its different variants till 1996 none after that.

There is one other thing I noticed that the Bandit of 1991-93 had twin front disc while the one that of 1994 had single disc as well as there was difference in the exhaust cans.

Info collected from bikez.com

About it being a good bike for starters well i am not sure if i'd be able to handle 600 solely because the power output of a 600 will be very different to the ones i have ridden in the past even the highest capacity in india dun have that much power so i thought rather than the bike controling me let me have the control myself over the bike so go for 400 familiarise yourself and then proceed further.

However I was looking for a CBR 400 if you know anyone interested in selling one let me know. Coming saturday am going to Al Aweer. Also I was wondering will purchasing a Bandit be really worthwhile considering its a decade old model whoose production too has been stopped and will it deliver me the kind of experience i want to gather to be able to ride a CBR 600 a year later?

One other question would it be advisable to take a Mechanic with me along to check out the Bandit. I somehow feel it will have to undergo some work after the purchase. If yes then would you know of someone?

Thanks Buddy
ICE
Mod god
Mod god

My Ride: I ride a beast on the road, a maniac on tracks!
My Profession: IT Proffesional
My Dream Ride: DUCATI

Postby T.N.T on Sun Sep 03, 2006 7:38 pm

Buell Lightning 9S, hmmm, twin round lamps I guess.
I think you are right about the differences, I am not really much of a 'Bandit' actually :P .
I think you should certainly fo for a 400c bike because they suit your skill and your pocket, but you should upgrade later.
It is still worthwhile to buy a decade old bandit because you are getting it dirt cheap and as I always say, a new biker is DESTINED to fall atleast 4-5 times. The advantage with the Bandit is that when it falls, it won't be hurting you financially and there won't be any expensive chrome or plastic bodywork getting damaged in the process. And yes, it will deliver you the kind of experience and will train you superbly for a heavier bike if you practice in the city a lot. I think you should prefer it over the CBR because its looks never get old (like the Ducati Monster) and as I said, falling won't be a problem.
I don't know of any good mechanics in Dubai, and obviously the bike will be needing a tune-up so I guess you look some other places and go with a mechanic.
Give respect, get respect.
T.N.T
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Return to Motor Biking