I need your expertise help Please ?

Discuss motor bikes, bike clubs, sport bikes, quad-biking, enduro bikes, dirt bikes,...

Moderator: azi malik

I need your expertise help Please ?

Postby CMA on Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:02 pm

Hello, Guys , I need your expertise help , I am driving a car in UAE last 10 years , I never ride a bike in my life before , I am working near to Dubai Airport but staying in Sharjah , not very far , I use to leave my house early , but wasting 2 hours every day coming and going and unfortunately coming late to work , I finally decided to go for motorcycle license , I apply for it and now I am taking my driving training and its going on fine so far and shortly I am going to apply for driving test in order to get the license , I read most of your appreciated advices regarding beginners advices and its very valuable really , main time I can not go for a delivery or courier motors ! I will not seam good , I was planning to buy a sport bike second hand 400 cc to 600 cc but seam that It will not be a good choice for a beginner who will drive in the daily traffic between Sharjah and Dubai .

What about scooter ? I am planning to get any of this one MAJESTY 400 CC - SLIVER WING – HONDA - T- MAX - SKY WAVE 400 CC new or maybe second hand in the beginning , it is automatic and easy to ride as well I think it ‘s much secure ?? is it ? and got to know that new introduced brand and available now in UAE called SYM RV-250 Scooter (SYM (San Yang Motors) of Taiwan has been manufacturing scooters for about 40 years now ) and price is cheap around AED 12,000 ! with one year Guarantee - Appreciate your expertise advice please .. Thx & B/r
CMA

My Ride: PEUGEOT 907
My Profession: Financial Controller
My Dream Ride: 2008 Honda Gold Win

Re: I need your expertise help Please ?

Postby T.N.T on Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:56 pm

Don't get a scooter! Please!
Bikes are a pretty dangerous option to travel in Dubai. But, if you still want to get one, I say get a street bike or cruiser of some kind. They are more comfortable when compared sport/supersport bikes and are cheaper too.
Something like a Suzuki Bandit etc.
Give respect, get respect.
T.N.T
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Postby njnkouzi75 on Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:30 pm

Great Idea. I would like to learn too. I am in Abu Dhabi city. Anybody can tell me where I can learn bike driving in Abu Dhabi, pleeaase.
njnkouzi75

Postby CMA on Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:31 am

Dear TNT ,,, Thanks a lot for your advice , but could you explain to me why you advice me not to get a scooter ... could you explain why ? so we all get an idea ,,,as a beginner we believe it will be much easy to bike ?? please let us know ,,, thanks a lot,, B.R
CMA

Postby T.N.T on Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:51 pm

njnkouzi75 wrote:Great Idea. I would like to learn too. I am in Abu Dhabi city. Anybody can tell me where I can learn bike driving in Abu Dhabi, pleeaase.

Go to a driving school. Here is a list to get you started: http://www.adcci.gov.ae/pls/adcci/busin ... ode=142102

CMA wrote:Dear TNT ,,, Thanks a lot for your advice , but could you explain to me why you advice me not to get a scooter ... could you explain why ? so we all get an idea ,,,as a beginner we believe it will be much easy to bike ?? please let us know ,,, thanks a lot,, B.R

Honestly speaking, the only reason is that you'll look like a restaurant delivery guy! Scooters are only used by those kinda people here. It will be easier than a bike but if you ride a bike from the start, you'll get a general idea of how bikes behave and you'll get used to them.
Search in the Sharjah Industrial area, there are many dealers there selling imported used bikes. You'll get a 400cc for 4000-7000 max.
T.N.T
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Postby CMA on Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:20 pm

Thank you very much for your point of view ...appreciated really ..Some time I think similarly – SHOKRAN :D
CMA

Postby T.N.T on Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:12 pm

You're welcome :)
T.N.T
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Postby root on Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:02 pm

Also other than image (and girly-ishness of it), scooters are not that much safer in my view either. The tires are smaller and the weight distribution is not always that great.

Cruisers are a good choice. They are a bit harder to find in the sharjah market though. If you are going for second hand, I would advise to spend a few thousand extra and get something in good condition...last thing you want is something breaking up in the middle of the dubai-sharjah road.
Come and discuss at the most lively forums about Cars, Bikes, 4x4s...at http://www.autodealer.ae at the Autodealer UAE Forums.
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

My Ride: VW Touareg V8 2005
My Profession: Car Enthusiast
My Dream Ride: This month: Nissan GT-R

Postby WSF on Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:06 pm

Some used bike shops on BMW road area in SHJ.. Lots of variety they got gigantic cruisers & also dirt bikes next to where they sell used car audio systems also there... Unsure of the exact location but i think if you keep driving straight from King Faisal road after a couple of intersections you will stumble into them..

BTW, what would be the average budget to spend on a bike license in dubai? specially for a newbie rider...
WSF
Street Racer
Street Racer

Postby T.N.T on Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:00 am

1500 probably :roll:
T.N.T
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Postby WSF on Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:55 pm

^^ In total i thought it would go upto AED 4-5K..

I am planning to go for a bike license in dubai but never drove one in my life. Is there anything i should be aware of before going for it? procedures, papers, etc...

Thanks...
WSF
Street Racer
Street Racer

Postby T.N.T on Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:40 pm

Not exactly anything you should be aware of.
Go to Galadari Driving Institute, they are cheaper than others (cheapest there is) and they don't have a long waiting list either.
T.N.T
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Postby CMA on Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:29 am

Dear All ,
Yes , I Confirm , I am also new never drive a bike before , and it cost around 1,500 AED ( Chosen Friday sessions which is much more expensive !! it might cost less during normal week days )

Well , all of your comments regarding scooter and second hand bike is really valuable , but I got this site in Sharjah : http://3std.com/stock/ they have a lot of imported bike in good conditions but most of bike I like as a beginner was not cruse type mainly are sport type 250 cc to 400 cc - What about HONDA CBR 400RR or Honda VFR 400 – Which one you think is better ? and do you think that this choice for a beginners and in a traffic will be a workable choice , or must be a cruise type and sport bike will not be a good choice specially in the beginners ? Thx & B/r
CMA

Postby T.N.T on Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:23 pm

None of them. Those bikes are pretty old and they have fairings which can be easily damaged. You are a first time rider and you are bound to drop it atleast once. What will you do if the fairing gets damaged? Like I said they are considerably old bikes and locating parts like that will be hard.
Get a Honda CB400 or a Suzuki Bandit 400. They look newer and are easier to mantain.
T.N.T
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Return to Motor Biking