Finally...re-registered!

Discuss motor bikes, bike clubs, sport bikes, quad-biking, enduro bikes, dirt bikes,...

Moderator: azi malik

Finally...re-registered!

Postby root on Wed Dec 27, 2006 1:03 am

Finally got my bike re-registered and road ready again!
(I just dont like the traffic since I last rode it 6 months ago).

Anyhow, thanks to a lot of help on this forum, I wanted to share on what worked and what did not.

Getting it fixed:
------------------
Followed ICE's advice on Al Farooq Motorcyles in Satwa. Its a small shabby place that mainly do small bikes but did my 400cc Yamaha. They are cheap but they did not do a proper job the first time, so I had to go back. All in all, they are probably the cheapest you can find in Dubai. Got full carburetor and tank cleaned up for 200 dhms. Last time I went to Custom Bikes in Al-Quoz and it cost me twice for less work.

Pick up:
---------
Al Farooq has a tie-in with an old Khan Sahib who has a hilux pick-up truck. He is really cheap. Cost me 80 AED from Springs to Satwa. Again his methods and transport are not the best and safest, but the last time I got a motorbike transported, it cost me 250 AED for a shorter distance.

Insurance:
-------------
This was a real problem as my last insurance company jacked up the price (Alliance) and my car insurer (Ittehad Watni) stopped doing motorcyles since last week. Thanks to ICE and others in this forum, I contacted Omega who are really Insurance Brokers. Their office is in Al-Attar center opposite Spinneys on the road to Bur-Juman. They arranged a 400cc 3rd party cover for 650 AED. The insurer was New India Insurance Company. I guess its worth trying to contact New India directly and see what they would give.

Thats it! Thought I'd share my views. I have the numbers for all the above, so if anyone needs them, just ask. Otherwise, I know they have been posted on this forum before.
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

My Ride: VW Touareg V8 2005
My Profession: Car Enthusiast
My Dream Ride: This month: Nissan GT-R

Postby asifadams on Wed Dec 27, 2006 7:45 pm

WOW !!!!! Hey Welcome Back :)
asifadams
Cruiser
Cruiser

Postby varshik on Thu Dec 28, 2006 2:54 pm

hey root congrats on gettin ur bike back on road...

about new india...i contacted them when i was looking for insurance and they told me they dint do it for bikes...
maybe it was cuz of my age n stuff...

about al farooq... i am not at all happy with them, i had their mech check the bike whch i wanted to get before i took it...he said everything was fine n dint need ANY work,based on this i fixed the price n got the bike,in one week now i hav already spent 250 bucks on it...and full carburetor and tank cleaning for 200 dhs...guess thts a bit above the normal price goin on in sharjah industrial area...

welcome back,hope to catch up with yall sumtime soon...
varshik
Tuner
Tuner

Postby ICE on Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:01 pm

@ROOT

Great so finally your bike is all set to hit the roads and burn rubber.

@Varshik

Need not be mad at Farooq my dear friend. Rates charged are farely reasonable for the job all round. Take it to a showroom and u'll know.

About Farooq themselves, they are good for small odd jobs for which you would not want to shell out a 100 bucks and more at the authorised centres.

;) Stating that its good on your pocket and ok for your bike. I am sure ROOT would agree with the pocket part.

LOL

Regards,
ICE
ICE
Mod god
Mod god

My Ride: I ride a beast on the road, a maniac on tracks!
My Profession: IT Proffesional
My Dream Ride: DUCATI

Postby root on Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:50 pm

yeah, just try to get a battery at the dealers...it'll cost you 700 dhm.
I once wanted to change my wind-shield (or whatever its called on bikes) and they wanted 2500 dhms for it at the dealer. Prices elsewhere are outrageous.

But I would agree that Sharjah would be cheaper.

On the carelessness part, you are right. First time at Farooq they did not clean my carburator but just pumped in petrol with force and it started working fine for 2 days...thats when i needed to take it back and get it serviced. They seem to have a lot of work and dont pay too much attention to finding faults until you can tell them whats wrong and needs to get fixed.
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

My Ride: VW Touareg V8 2005
My Profession: Car Enthusiast
My Dream Ride: This month: Nissan GT-R

Postby varshik on Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:51 am

@ ICE
it might be cheaper than the dealers but i was talkin about the prices when compared to other small garages around town...
farooq might be the cheapest option amongst his competetors around him in satwa, but as i said, compare the prices to that of shops repairin bikes in sharjah industrial area 3 near lacnor factory and you might get a good deal for half the price...there are around 10-12 shops that repair bikes and quad bikes.
there are even more shops into bikes at the BMW roundabout...

i got my bike's full servicing for 150 bucks today...whch included topping up the oil n stuff too...

i got my rear brake pads changed,outside they would hav cost me 90 for only the brakes, this guy took 80 with fixing,cleaning the piston and changing the brake oil...

a friend of mine who recommended the shop to me gets it done at even cheaper rates,
once you get to know the guys the prices drop themselves...

secondly the main thing...farooq is too far for me to take my bike frm sharjah :D
varshik
Tuner
Tuner

Postby ICE on Fri Dec 29, 2006 7:41 pm

@varshik

and vice a versa. ;)
ICE
Mod god
Mod god

My Ride: I ride a beast on the road, a maniac on tracks!
My Profession: IT Proffesional
My Dream Ride: DUCATI

Return to Motor Biking