Buying Suzuki Grand Vitara - Advice Please!!!

Discuss which cars to get, where to get them from, tricks and traps to avoid, insurance... Also, great place for First time Car Buyers in UAE!

Moderator: azi malik

Buying Suzuki Grand Vitara - Advice Please!!!

Postby Abn369 on Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:17 pm

Hi everyone,
I'm about to buy one used Grand Vitara ( 2010- 2011, 5 Door, 4 cyl). Can anyone comment regarding :-

- Reliability
- Fuel Economy
- Comfort / Seating

I can't see many of these on roads but I heard its good overall vehicle ( On and Off Road). Is there any common problems for this particular SUV? I heard being Suzuki maintainance wise it will be headache later on. If I find one with low mileage ( less than 40 K ) should I go for it? I'm moving from a Corolla which didn't had any major problems.
If this is not a good choice my other option will Rav 4 but it is little bit expensive .

Any comments on this?
Abn369

My Ride: Rav 4
My Profession: ?
My Dream Ride: ???

Re: Buying Suzuki Grand Vitara - Advice Please!!!

Postby root on Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:43 pm

Hey Abn369!
Welcome to the forums!

Suzuki Grand Vitara - well, not very popular here at all! The SUV got decent reviews when it was released, and arguably good value for money, but we live in Toyota-land here! Suzuki is a popular brand in many Asian countries, but not here. You don't see many of their Swift and alike hatchbacks here either.

Reliability - I believe all Suzukis sold last couple of years came with the extended 5 year warranty. If you get this in the second hand you buy, you'll atleast have some peace of mind. Fuel economy - decent for a SUV. Comfort, again decent for a SUV if you compare with Pajero, but not if you compare with Toyota Prado or LC.

The biggest issue you'll have with this car is resale! You wont find many buyers. This might be a reason that you can get a good deal on a used 2010-11. If you get a 2 year old one at 40% below the list price, then its worth considering in my view. As you'll end up losing money whenever you sell it too.

If you can afford the Rav4, I'd feel more comfortable recommending that. (And I tell you I am in no way Toyota affiliated or lover!) Simply because, it holds a good resale in this market, and in general a very reliable car if driven sensibly.

What's your budget like? Maybe we can suggest other options too.
Come and discuss at the most lively forums about Cars, Bikes, 4x4s...at http://www.autodealer.ae at the Autodealer UAE Forums.
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

My Ride: VW Touareg V8 2005
My Profession: Car Enthusiast
My Dream Ride: This month: Nissan GT-R

Postby Abn369 on Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:57 pm

My budget around 60 - 65K only. I looked at other alternatives as well such as Honda CRV, Tucson (2008- 2009 ) etc.. I think for my budget i can find Fortuner (2007 / 2008???) or something but i would like to stick with midsized SUV.

If resale will be headache i think i will stick with RAV4 may be some 2008 model ? But i really like Grand Vitara. It fits into my budget - SUV with proper 'OFF Road Gear' and stuffs like that.

Any other recommendations ? ( Japanese please :wink: )
Abn369

My Ride: Rav 4
My Profession: ?
My Dream Ride: ???

Postby root on Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:54 pm

I was gonna say that in 60-65k the Hyundai Tucson is a good buy, specially the new shape.
But as you want Japanese, you're basically left with Rav4, CRV and maybe Mitsubishi Outlander (though last one is not that common here!).

If you like the Grand Vitara and planning to keep for a few years then by all means go with it. Car depreciation slows down with time, so try to find a 1-3 year old in good condition and then keep for a few years.
Come and discuss at the most lively forums about Cars, Bikes, 4x4s...at http://www.autodealer.ae at the Autodealer UAE Forums.
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

My Ride: VW Touareg V8 2005
My Profession: Car Enthusiast
My Dream Ride: This month: Nissan GT-R

Return to Car Buying Advice