Any experience with Hyundai Santa Fe?

Discuss which cars to get, where to get them from, tricks and traps to avoid, insurance... Also, great place for First time Car Buyers in UAE!

Moderator: azi malik

Any experience with Hyundai Santa Fe?

Postby nalana on Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:11 am

Hello everybody,

I am currently wracking my brain to decide which SUV/crossover to get as I am not that knowledgeable about cars. My topmost criteria is reliability but would also mention low maintenance costs and good performance. Budget is around 100k.

At first I was considering RAV-4 and Honda CR-V, both with excellent reliability record, which I like but don't love.

Yesterday went to Hyundai showroom and had my eye on the 2013 Santa Fe. Test-drove the 3.3l, V6 version and simply loved it! Yet, I don't want to make the same mistake that I made 6 years ago and buy a car that has comfort and good options but breaks all the time, very unreliable (speaking about 2005 Ford Mondeo).

Has anybody owned a Santa Fe and can share any experience with this car: about quality, maintenance, potential problems or anything that comes to mind?

Any advice would be appreciated and thanks in advance!
nalana
Rookie
Rookie

My Ride: I don't know what I ride
My Profession: housewife
My Dream Ride: reliable

Re: Any experience with Hyundai Santa Fe?

Postby root on Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:13 pm

Nalana! Welcome to the forums!

Short, quick answer: Go get it! :)
BTW, what's the price the dear are quoting you for the 2013?

From what I can see you are looking at the 3.3 V6, which is the long-body one, and actually is replacing the Veracruz model (which never sold that well).

In UAE, Santa Fe has performed well as a cheaper but stylish SUV. The resale has been pretty good. You'll sell it fast, as its popular among the city-dwellers and school-drop-moms.

Now, the Veracruz that the Santa Fe 3.3 replaces, never really sold that well. Not sure why, but I think at that price range/level, people chose other (Japanese) options.

In general, Hyundai quality is pretty solid. They have been giving 3 or 5 year warranties, so you are ok. The only downside is that Juma Al Majid, the dealer, aren't the greatest. A lot of people have ranted and raved about their service on these forums over the years. Not sure, if that has improved or not lately.

If any consolation, most of the dealers are bad at service over here :) So, comparatively you just only slightly worse off.

Depends really what the price is for me to give a definitive recommendation. But given that the Japanese SUVs are all now riding the high-yen wave, I'm not sure what other options you'll have in the price range.
Come and discuss at the most lively forums about Cars, Bikes, 4x4s...at http://www.autodealer.ae at the Autodealer UAE Forums.
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

My Ride: VW Touareg V8 2005
My Profession: Car Enthusiast
My Dream Ride: This month: Nissan GT-R

Postby nalana on Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:54 pm

Thanks a lot for the prompt reply, root!

The price for the lowest V6, 3.3l trim is 97k,; mid-range is 119k and top is 123. In any way even the 97k version has good options - fr and rr A/C, electric lumbar support, Bluetooth, rear parking sensors, cruise control, stearing remote on audio and Bluetooth, 6 speakers, el. folding mirrors, glove box cooling.

What do you think about that?
nalana
Rookie
Rookie

Postby root on Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:06 pm

For 97k, its a good bargain if it includes all the features you mention! Its a full 7-seater version, right?
The same specs Toyota Prado would cost you at least 160k.
A similar range-ish is the Mitsubishi Pajero. I think their V6 is at 110k (last time I checked). Its a tough SUV in case you want to ever take it in the desert, but not that comfy for the city. The Santa Fe is on the other hand a great smooth city ride (and not that tough in the sand).

Whats the mid- and top- range got left? Leather seats? What else?
Come and discuss at the most lively forums about Cars, Bikes, 4x4s...at http://www.autodealer.ae at the Autodealer UAE Forums.
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby nalana on Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:16 pm

Yes, they come in leather. When I look at at it, the navigation system might be the only difference between the mid and the top.

Otherwise, they share the following features:
- rain sensors
- xenon lamps with washer
- cornering lights
- rear LED combination lamp
- electronic chromic mirror
- compass
- front power seats
- IMS?
- seat warmers in front seats
- el. stability control
- el. parking brake
- rear camer
Prices are 119k and123k respectively.
nalana
Rookie
Rookie

Postby nalana on Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:18 pm

Yes, they come in leather. When I look at at it, the navigation system might be the only difference between the mid and the top.

Otherwise, they share the following features:
- rain sensors
- xenon lamps with washer
- cornering lights
- rear LED combination lamp
- electronic chromic mirror
- compass
- front power seats
- IMS?
- seat warmers in front seats
- el. stability control
- el. parking brake
- rear camera
Prices are 119k and123k respectively.
nalana
Rookie
Rookie

Postby root on Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:49 am

That's a lot for the leather seats and navigation, but that's always been the case with the Korean brands. Kia does the same as well - low entry level model, and then top of the range is like 30% higher.

Better to get an smartphone with google maps for better maps these days. At least they are updated more often.

You can get 'leather' seats post-fitted if you really need them. I think prices for SUV start from around 4k, and then goes up based on what quality you go for. However, the factory fitted are obviously the nicest.

What Warranty are they giving you? 5 years/100k km? Any service package too?
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby nalana on Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:47 am

That's the thing: they're giving only 3 years/100k (not very sure). About the leather, yeh it is nice, but not worth spilling another 20k for it and navigation. Anyway, I am not used to navigation, so I won't miss it; and as you say, a smartphone or a GPS is always possible to get.
nalana
Rookie
Rookie

Postby root on Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:18 am

I'd say go for it!
Its a new model, new shape, 2013!
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby anoopphilips81 on Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:19 am

Dear Root ,

What u have said abt Pajero is right. Its solid on Sand .....But one pont to rememeber about the Pajero is it's engine. 3.5 Ltr Pajero gives you the power of only 159 horses which is almost same for a 2.4 Ltr CRV ,Tucson, Accord or any other cars in its class.How it gonna give you a power sufficient for pulling such a huge body quickly according to your wishes for a quick response? I am also in the same stage of Nalana. I have looked at the 3.3 Ltr Santafe 2013 which is 267 HP . Personally I wont suggest the 2.4 Ltr Santafe ....because of the same reason above(a large body with a comparatively smaller engine may let your expectations down once you know it is not responding quick as per the throttle).So if you are looking at a 2.4 engine ...go for CRV, Tucson etc.BTW any one know about the fuel economy of the 3.3 Ltr santafe? Its full option is worth a purchase as it offers all the amenities (additional also) that other manufacturers give for 140 K , for example 2.7 Ltr Prado. Especially you will find 6 airbags, reverse sensor+camera etc very rare even for Rav 4, fortuner and Prado.
anoopphilips81

My Ride: Nissan Tiida
My Profession: Mech Engr
My Dream Ride: Still ti decide

Postby root on Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:46 pm

Hey! Welcome to the forums!

The Pajero 3.5l v6 is not that fastest engine around but pretty decent for both city and desert driving. Its got the power and torque needed to move up those sand dunes, and it performs pretty well there. I compare this price wise and performance wise with other similarly priced SUVs like the 2.7l Toyota Prado, and this one is a lot quicker and more powerful.

These days now the engine size (liters/cc) are not that great measures of how fast a car will get. Especially with the new German and European vehicles and their engines, you get a lot of kick out of those smaller engines. The new VW and Audis have actually gone up in BHP while going down in CC, and a lot more fuel effecient.

I would also suggest 3.3L for the Santa Fe if you're going for the long-body. The other engine would be a drag.

One side-note: having a small engine on a big SUV will get you a lot less speeding fines :) I've personal experience on this!
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby anoopphilips81 on Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:07 pm

Hi Root ....My experience with some people who went for the basic options of prado and fortuner as well as the 3.5 Pajero is that , they felt it a lot dragging and less response to their throttle when compared to their older sedan cars. They were saying that what we got is just an suv in appearance but they didn't get that quick response engine that they expected.The same I expect with the 2.4 Ltr Santafe as well as 2 Ltr Tucson. I am not saying the speed that they can achieve ...but the quickest response to the throttle on a signal or during an over take. This is what I meant by a worthy SUV engine ....not just an SUV with a body without the deserving engine. When I compared Santafe 3.3 with Prado 2.7 , fortuner 2.7 , Pajero 3.5 and 3.8 , Ford edge , explorer 3.5 each and Honda pilot 3.5 ,,,,,, Only Santa fe excels with a 270ps engine. Any way have u any idea of the Santafe 3.3 fuel economy?
anoopphilips81

Postby root on Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:49 pm

The 2013 is supposed to give a bit better mileage than the earlier ones due to the new ECO Active engine mode. Figures I read were 8 km/l for city and 11 km/l for highways but then the Hyundai ads say 33 mpg, which is 14 km/l. Not bad if that is true!

Now, I'm pretty sure that the 14 km/l is with the ECO Active engine mode turned on, which basically will make your Santa Fe back into the Pajero when it comes to acceleration :) I've heard mixed reviews on the ECO Active Hyundai technology so far - they have it on several models and most people claim it takes out the driving pleasure.

Anyhow, living in UAE, although prices have risen for fuel, its still among the cheapest in the world - so I'd enjoy the drive rather than save a few dirhams (OK! that's a personal opinion only, and not endorsing this!!)
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby anoopphilips81 on Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:17 am

Thank you root for having a good conversation with you in this forum. I have hooked my mind on the Santa Fe 3.3 Ltr full option 2013 model. That's the truth. I believe it is worth for its features and the new look. Aren't I ?
anoopphilips81

Postby root on Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:31 am

I believe so!
Its a new vehicle, so the jury ain't out yet.
However, the good reasons for going ahead with it in my view would be:
- Its a brand 2013 model in the new shape/platform - it will retain this for a few years keeping 2nd hand value stable.
- This particular model seems to have a relatively healthy 2nd hand market
- A lot of car for the sub-100k price!

Make sure to share your experience, once you've bought it :)
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to Car Buying Advice