Is Subaru Legacy EURO5?

Discuss which cars to get, where to get them from, tricks and traps to avoid, insurance... Also, great place for First time Car Buyers in UAE!

Moderator: azi malik

Is Subaru Legacy EURO5?

Postby medjulic on Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:03 pm

Hi

I'm in big dilemma. I want to buy Subaru Legacy here in Kuwait and after a while to export it back to my country which has implemented homologaton law with min EURO 3 compliance for cars imported. Dealer here claims that Legacy they sell is EURO 5 but they cannot issue COC document for EURO, just GCC (GSO) COC and some kind of statement that car is EURO5. On the other hand I contacted Subaru dealer in Germany and sent them VIN for one of the cars from showroom here in Kuwait and they say that car is not EURO 5 and not be converted to EURO standards. And of course no explanation on question why and what is the difference between this car and one they sell. Specs on site are identical for both, look also...Does anyone really know if cars sold here with GCC specs can be imported to Europe?
I even went to other dealers and i.e. Volvo dealer gave me a copy od certificate stamped by Volvo Sweden stating that car is EURO 5 compliant, but guys in Volvo dealership in my country claim that this car is not EURO 5 based on VIN. So, could it be that dealers here lie just to sell car or those back home to talk you out of idea to buy car here and take it there?

Any info or advice is more than welcome...
medjulic

My Ride: VW Golf
My Profession: Admin
My Dream Ride: Subaru Legacy

Re: Is Subaru Legacy EURO5?

Postby root on Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:07 am

Good question, and an elusive one for many people!

In general, the cars that come to GCC are not EURO5. Even the German vehicles built in a factory in EU when shipped to GCC lacks a few things needed, as they try to save money that way. This is unless you make sure that when you order the car that it is EURO5 specs, for which you have to pay normally a bit extra. I've heard of a few Swedes who have taken home their Volvos bought in UAE, but they made sure they ordered a proper spec vehicle as well. Also, in some European countries, if you are transferring back 'residence' to your country, you are able to bring in a car that you had while abroad even if it does not have full EURO5. I know of at least one person who did this with a Ford Mustang.

The next thing to remember here in GCC is that unfortunately most car dealers simply don't know. They will answer what they think is right without really checking. The litmus test for this is that you can ask 3 different sales people the same query, and they will all give you different answers. Sad, but the quality of knowledge of most sales people sucks here! So do you own research in my advice!

Thirdly, when checking in Europe too, the car dealer over there is probably not the best place to check this. He has no incentive in helping you and already hate all those grey-market importers like you. The place is to ask the local car testing/registration authority and let them validate or reject the specs. You should e.g. show them the stamped certificate from Volvo and see what they say. If there is something they object to, then atleast you will know what that is.

Good luck! Suburu Legacy is a nice choice! Apparently good for the wet/snowy weathers as well.
Come and discuss at the most lively forums about Cars, Bikes, 4x4s...at http://www.autodealer.ae at the Autodealer UAE Forums.
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

My Ride: VW Touareg V8 2005
My Profession: Car Enthusiast
My Dream Ride: This month: Nissan GT-R

Postby medjulic on Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:08 am

Thanks for good reply. True is that most of the dealers or guys working in showrooms never heard of EURO standards...But I also heard one interesting story from manager in Seat showroom, who claims to be some manager in VW dealership before. He says that VW car sent to GCC are EURO 4 compliant but those cars are then downgraded to EURO 2 upon arrival to Kuwait in their workshop. That is stupid. Does GCC require certain pollution/emission level so cars need to be brought to that level? When I asked in VW dealership they say all VWs are EURO 2, but for 500KD (I was asking about tiguan) they can upgrade it to EURO 4.
For Subaru, when I asked them (twice in one year), both time they claimed EURO 5 without hesitation so that make me thinking they know what is EURO standard and they were ready to issue certificate for it.
Problem is then to make authorities in my country to accept that certificate. There is really strong influence of car importers lobby and only paper they accept is COC issued by local dealer for that brand. My luck is that in my country we don't have Subaru dealer :) so they might accept this paper issued by dealer in Kuwait.

Does anyone know if there is place in Kuwait where you can test vehicle for emission and other test?
medjulic

My Ride: VW Golf
My Profession: Admin
My Dream Ride: Subaru Legacy

Postby hamiltonjensson on Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:12 am

This is the main reason why it is way to hard to register cars imported from other countries. They have specifications that is not allowed by law.
hamiltonjensson
Cruiser
Cruiser

My Ride: I don't know what I ride
My Profession: Mechanic
My Dream Ride: Mazda RX-8

Return to Car Buying Advice