Japanese or German car?

Discuss which cars to get, where to get them from, tricks and traps to avoid, insurance... Also, great place for First time Car Buyers in UAE!

Moderator: azi malik

Japanese or German car?

Japanese
100%
German
No votes

Total votes : 2

Japanese or German car?

Postby Giuseppe on Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:19 am

I want to buy a new car but I cannot take a decision.

If I look at prices and reliability then I would rather buy a Japanese car or even a Korean one.

German cars (especially Mercedes) are extremely expensive, service maintenance costs a fortune (imagine that a normal service check for a small car like Mercedes B-Class costs 3500 AED while for a SUV Honda Pilot it costs 700 AED only!) and last, but not least, the reliability is not the one you expect paying a premium price (I can hardly find a couple of Mercedes models in any reliability ranking list)

On the other hand German cars keep their value in time (given the facts above I do not understand why).

What would you buy in my place? Japanese, German or else?
Giuseppe

My Ride: Toyota Land Cruiser Prado
My Profession: Manager
My Dream Ride: Lamborghini Reventon

Re: Japanese or German car?

Postby pankajrg on Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:55 pm

I would definitely go for the Japanese. They are value for money & have outstanding reliability. More so they will also fetch a good resale value & are also cheaper to maintain. The down side you need to service them every 5k kms.
Said that, the German ones have longer service intervals (typically after every 15K) & now a days many of them come with Service contracts e.g. BMW. But yes they cost a bomb!
pankajrg
Rookie
Rookie

My Ride: Ford Focus Sport 2007, Black
My Profession: Engineer
My Dream Ride: Ferrari

Postby Giuseppe on Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:39 am

pankajrg wrote:... The down side you need to service them every 5k kms.

Hi Pankajrg, thanks for your answer. I did not know that you need to service Japanese cars every 5000 kms. Is that true for all brands and models? My experience with Toyota Prado is that it requires maintenance service every 10k kms.
Giuseppe

Postby nessan on Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:42 pm

well I have a very simple calculation to choose among two..if you need performance and comfort and easy handling,..chose a german..but if you are budget oriented..demanding less service and maintainability go for a Japanese.
nessan

My Ride: I don't know what I ride
My Profession: engineer
My Dream Ride: r8

Postby Giuseppe on Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:01 am

nessan wrote:well I have a very simple calculation to choose among two..if you need performance and comfort and easy handling,..chose a german..but if you are budget oriented..demanding less service and maintainability go for a Japanese.

Hi Nessan, thanks for your comment. Probably in the calculation you suggest also the ratio quality/(price+maintenance costs) should be included. In this case there is no doubt a Japanese car should be chosen.
The point I am trying to make here is that if you pay a lot of money (like in my case with a Mercedes) then you expect to have a reliable car but this is not true (as it is clear that in any reliability ranking list you can find tens of Japanese cars and max 2 Mercedes models)
Giuseppe

Postby azi malik on Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:02 am

japanese cars are better in terms of build quality and accessories... german car are no doubt very good... but they are charging too much for accessories that already come with the japanese make.... its like feeling of MAC... where its standard model would be double the price of a model from DELL or HP having the same specs... i hope this helps :)
azi malik
F1 Racer
F1 Racer

My Ride: I don't know what I ride
My Profession: automotive consultant
My Dream Ride: dunoo

Return to Car Buying Advice