fortuner vs pathfinder

Discuss which cars to get, where to get them from, tricks and traps to avoid, insurance... Also, great place for First time Car Buyers in UAE!

Moderator: azi malik

fortuner vs pathfinder

Postby pathyhaze on Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:51 pm

hi all
this forum looks cool and i wanna have ur opinions guys...
was using rental cars for a while ( yaris, mazda 3, altima..) anyway one day i tested a pathfinder 2002,loved it and bought it immediatly ( i didnt have any previous 4x4 experience)
this car is realy great, i m doing arround 200 km approx daily, on good roads bad roads ( dubai marina to ajman !) some offroadin too ,bottom line is that the pathfinder is serving me well and the only hic is the feul cons but i m very satisfied with the performances and its a heavy duty one but its goin to die soon, the odo now is more than 300k :P and i dont like the engine ( the original one was gr8 but due to a hydrolock situation i had to get another one ).
sorry makin this long but as u see the car is perfect for my needs to the point that i m thinkin of gettin the same one but with less mileage, so my choices are now :
1- pathfinder 2005 3.5L(not new shape)
2- fortuner 08 4L (any mechanical remarks? i didnt test this one)
3- fortuner 09 4L ( only if convinced that there is real improvements on it ,, also facelift is good)
4- pathfinder 2008 4L( also if u guys convince me about it)
my budget is quite flexible from 30k to 100k cash ( cant stand banks and their loans) but the idea is if i get the suitable thing for 30 then why to spend a 100 specialy that i m lookin for a car to serve my daily routine ,,,,,,,please tell me what u think, and i would like to know detailed comparasion between fortuner and pathfinder
pathyhaze
Rookie
Rookie

My Ride: pathy
My Profession: bypass cruisin/ta63ees
My Dream Ride: hard to tell

Re: fortuner vs pathfinder

Postby azi malik on Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:12 am

hmmm... comments ppl!! :)
azi malik
F1 Racer
F1 Racer

My Ride: I don't know what I ride
My Profession: automotive consultant
My Dream Ride: dunoo

Postby root on Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:14 pm

Your chances of getting a well kept second Fortuner is much higher than that of an old-shape Pathfinder. Given in addition that you travel quite a bit daily, you need a reliable vehicle. I would say look for a 2008 or 2009 4L that has been driven by a mom for school pickups, if you can find one.

Between the 30k vs 100k argument, the way I see it is that car has maximum depreciation first few years. So if you spend 20k extra on a second hand vehicle, you'll get that 20k back (or a large percentage of it) when selling. Hence, go for a reliable one, and spend a bit extra than to get a cheap one that is breaking down every day (telling from experience!)
Come and discuss at the most lively forums about Cars, Bikes, 4x4s...at http://www.autodealer.ae at the Autodealer UAE Forums.
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

My Ride: VW Touareg V8 2005
My Profession: Car Enthusiast
My Dream Ride: This month: Nissan GT-R

Postby pathyhaze on Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:54 pm

root, u r talkin logic! thats why i dont like buyin a new one even if i can because first two years i ll lose a lot ( also i dont think that i m keepin it for more than 24 months) also i consider myself a guy who knows how to maintain his ride simply by detectin failures at early stage , anyway i agree with ur opinion hopin to find a 2009 fortuner but i would like to see comments about the fortuner on the mechanical level, heard that on curves it s not that stable so some guys are lowerin the rear also i m confused between the 2.7 and 4L, i ll try to test both soon, i m a v6 fan but i dont mind to spend less on feul,,,,,,,,
pathyhaze
Rookie
Rookie

Postby root on Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:09 pm

The engine is the same as in Prado and FJ Cruiser! The width however is less than both those, and hence your comments on stability while on curves are probably true!
The 2.7L will save you not only on fuel but also speeding tickets. But after driving a 4L pathfinder, you will not be happy by slower acceleration, specially while overtaking. You need to go down to a Lancer or Tiida for a month to start to appreciate the 2.7L.

About stability, its about how you drive as well! I saw a police pathfinder (old shape) turned over around Dubai Marina not too long ago - he took probably a far too sharp turn on the wrong winding road.
Come and discuss at the most lively forums about Cars, Bikes, 4x4s...at http://www.autodealer.ae at the Autodealer UAE Forums.
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pathyhaze on Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:18 pm

if the stability issue on curves is same as most of 4wd i dont mind because i never had a problem with my pathfinder and i know the limits, generaly i behave while driving but sometimes quiet agressive,i m just afraid that is realy worse, also about speeding tickets i learnt my lesson long time ago ( 8000 aed in 2 month) now my record is clean from arround 2 years so lets say i drive with some manners so i wont push the v6 too much if not needed but i would be confident about my engine more than the 2.7 where i might raisin the rpm to meet the needs so in those cases i m afraid that the consumption would be same and will regret havin the 2,7
pathyhaze
Rookie
Rookie

Postby pathyhaze on Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:46 pm

seems no one got any clue :P
pathyhaze
Rookie
Rookie

Postby root on Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:56 pm

I agree, you might regret getting the 2.7 if you're used to a v6!

About curves and stability, as you said, you need to just get used to the vehicle and understand its limits. You could probably improve stability/road grip by having a good set of tyres instead of lowering the vehicle.

what was your question? :)
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pathyhaze on Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:22 pm

lol i dont remember my own question :P
anyway i think i m goin to search for a 2009 fortuner ,v6 ofcourse anyway based on my own estimates with 100 aed feul the 2.7 do like 530 km and the 4l do 420km, my pathfinder already doin 390km so nothin goin to change
a new question is born, what about the trims?
what i m interested is havin the cruise control only and what i dont care about : leather seats ( i hate leather beleive it or not if its cheap one) ,sunroof ( its useless unless its panoramic) rims ... also what about the tail lights with chrome,, i hate that its vulgair
pathyhaze
Rookie
Rookie

Postby kapil on Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:32 pm

Hey guys, I am back from the sleep ;-)

Ok Buddy, here are my two bits..... the old shape pathfinder will kill teh fortuner anywhere, anytime under anycircumstances except being a five seater as opposed to teh fortuner being 7!

On road performance.... pathfinder, you can confidently attack teh corner and its more powerfull than teh 4L fortuner.Pathfinder, try swerving to one side in both cars at about 80 kmph, you will know what i am talking about! For some reason, the same passengers in my fortuner use to feel nausiated when we would go on long drives!

Off road.... even teh 2.7 fortuner is quite capable. I went to Al mAha desert last week in one. I was surprised, but at times you have to rev it a bit more than teh bigger engines...
The pathfinder is a lot more fun at times when you want to do only rear wheel drive!

New fortuner is a safer bet, but somehow not as comfertable as teh old pathfinder (in my opinion!) If you are careful in your search you can find a old model pathfinder (get only GCC and they don't have CC) or a QX4 (with CC) done about 60k or so, for under 40K AED. It hold its value quite decently. End of teh dat 10% of 40k is quite less than 10% of 100k.

Nissan is hell bent upon killing their 4x4s! 1st the pathfinder and now teh patrol!!( i just sold mine only after 8ooo kms)

Pls note this is only my honest opinion!

all teh best.
kapil
Drift King
Drift King

My Ride: Wrangler YJ - 95
My Profession: ****
My Dream Ride: Sukohi Su 30-mki

Postby pathyhaze on Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:26 pm

well unfortunatly the new pathfinder isnt like the old one like mine which is realy perfect and on some exits i m doin more than 80kmph, i have one it patrol rims and tires ( lil bit heavy on the power steering pump) but where to find one with less than 40 k???? even less than 70k kinda difficult thats why i m tryin to shift to a new thing even that honestly i dont like the fortuner but it seems its the second choice
the 7 seater ting is stupid because got no child even i dont use the second raw in the pathy, always folded , anyway seems i ll get a fortuner and anyway seems good , its for my routine not for cruising at all else it would be a tundra 5.7 but i cant aford it for daily use so i made up my for the fortuner only tryin to know more on the mechanical level frist then the trims, anyway i m goin on vacation and after it i ll see
pathyhaze
Rookie
Rookie

Postby kapil on Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:13 pm

I would get a Grand Cherokee any day over a Fortuner! Better millage any day.. i get about 490 kms for 120Dhs of petrol.
kapil
Drift King
Drift King

My Ride: Wrangler YJ - 95
My Profession: ****
My Dream Ride: Sukohi Su 30-mki

Postby pathyhaze on Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:33 pm

after experience i think mileage is somethin not to talk about,, v6 is v6,, +/- 50 km isnot the end of the world, and also generaly i m not fan of japanese cars but due to the gcc nature and the dealership services nissan and toyota are the best, when i was in france i had few peugeots and they rocked,, here they are not reliable at all so for each region/market there is a dominant carmaker
pathyhaze
Rookie
Rookie

Postby bambaiya on Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:01 am

Fortuner no experience, so excuse me

New Shape Pathfinder - 4.0 - 2007/8 onwards
-Petrol hog - don't expect any more than 20/100kmpl (much lesser in the city)
-Hard Suspensions - Bumpyyyy
-Bad Cornering
-Blind Spots
-American baby with Japanese Logo
-Expensive
-Tiny Petrol Tank - you fill up more than you fart
-Stupid sensors and those useless American frills and bolts and nuts and pads and balh blah - you are a permanent customer @ the agency
-Braking tend to worsen up after 40 (overall good brakes)

+Peeeeeeeeeerformance - challenge a Charger and you may win on a lucky day
+Strong
+80 or 100 feels like 50 or 60 in a Pajero
+Real Truck

Pathfinder Old shape - 3.5L - way to go (you cannot compare with Fortuner and New Pathy)

Home this helps
bambaiya

My Ride: Pajero 4th Gen. '08 3.0 Golden - Aftermarket AV system/DVD/MP3/DiVX/Btooth
My Profession: Information technology
My Dream Ride: Porsche Cayenne Turbo

Postby pathyhaze on Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:52 pm

old pathy is gr8 dont tell me about it, anyway guys, do u know a TRD dealer in uae? or a way to get used trd parts because seems no harm at all to add the trd supercharger on fortuner 4L engine,, then it would be kinda better, but the new one is like 3500$
pathyhaze
Rookie
Rookie

Next

Return to Car Buying Advice