pajero and jeep cherokee

Discuss which cars to get, where to get them from, tricks and traps to avoid, insurance... Also, great place for First time Car Buyers in UAE!

Moderator: azi malik

pajero and jeep cherokee

Postby jalmahd on Wed May 24, 2006 10:47 am

hi every one, i'm totally new to this forum. i' lookin out to buy a car within 70 k range. i have set mazda 6 red medium model in my mind. By the end of this month or 1st week of next month i'll b going for it as dey deliver the vehicle in just 3 working days.

mean while i wanted to check out on some 4 X 4 seconds to make a decision in these 2 weeks.

Could anyone who's well versed with these guide me on the following two models.

1. Mitsubhishi Pajero, Black , 2004, 3.0 looks very good, and i would be getting it for 55,000.

2. Cherokee, White/Silver, 3.7L, 2002, Limited Edition, round head light, sunroof, cd changer, leather interiors. 129000/133000 run, 52000/53000 dhs.

I'm totally unaware of these two vehicles, especially the maintenance, fuel efficiency, resale value, reliability.

I have no intention going offroad but cannot deny a rare possibility.
Of course, i'l go for financing options from my banker.

Please review this and comment this.
jalmahd
Rookie
Rookie

Postby T.N.T on Wed May 24, 2006 2:55 pm

HI! Welcome to the forum.
Go for the Pajero, bigger size and it's worth the extra 2k because it is newer and probably has a better resale value than the Cherokee.
The Cherokee you've mentioned is the small one I guess because that is the one with round headlights and a 3.7 engine.
Now you might be thinking why the Pajero, well:
Better resale value
Maintenance is cheaper
Better fuel efficiency
Reliable
I think it is slightly underpowered but as you won't be going off-road so it's ok.
Give respect, get respect.
T.N.T
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

also the cherokee

Postby root on Wed May 24, 2006 8:00 pm

The cherokees you are looking at seem to have a lot of mileage on them! This is when things start breaking and repair costs are higher on american vehicles.

As you are spending some good money (50k plus) on a car, I would suggest to try to get something below 50,000 km mileage...you probably need to look around but you should find something.
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

My Ride: VW Touareg V8 2005
My Profession: Car Enthusiast
My Dream Ride: This month: Nissan GT-R

Postby jalmahd on Thu May 25, 2006 9:03 am

Thank you T.N.T and root for the valuable advice. The cherokee is entirley alien to me as i do know a little about pajero but not much.
You are right T.N.T. The Cherokee is a small one with qute looks. It doesn' have that muscular look of the Pajero.
But what i am more concerned is whether that price quoted for Pajero looks bit too low for a 2004 model? Or is it the actual market value? What could be the fuel efficiency of Pajero?

What i need to know from you guys is that whether it is feasible to opt for pajero 2004 model ahead of a brand new mazda 6? ( now cherokee is out of my mind).

All comments are appreciated.
jalmahd
Rookie
Rookie

Postby T.N.T on Thu May 25, 2006 11:14 am

Even I'm in doubt about the Pajero's price. Seems quite low. Possibly a 2-door because of the 3ltr engine? You should probably check the car out.
On the other hand, mileage figures aren't that sweet especially considering rising fuel prices:
18 mpg city/highway combined.
I think you should go for the Mazda 6. Why? Beacuse it depends on your needs. You don't need an off-roader as you mentioned. The 6 surely gives better mileage and has the advantages of a brand-new model too (Peace of mind etc.).
T.N.T
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

but pajero is better armoured

Postby root on Thu May 25, 2006 6:36 pm

remember that Dubai traffic is crazy, and if you get hit by a truck/trailer or another SUV, you are a lot more safer in a Pajero...for peace of mind I would rather my wife drives a SUV than a sedan.

But the Mazda 6 is nice! Also, check the new Hondas....the Civic is pretty awesome!
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby jalmahd on Sat May 27, 2006 8:21 am

My bro recently bought a Honda Civic Exi. Its really a wonderful car. It really has curving looks and indeed good to drive also. I would like to go for Mazda 6 just avoid having two Civics in a single house. Moreover he has black one and that's the only best color in Civic. White one is not so good lookin but ok. Civic doesn' have much of color option to choose from. And the waiting period is long 3 months.
the civic interior is one of the top class.
where as for Mazda 6 you get more for the same value. Performance and power wise its almost similar. civic 1.8L , 154 bhp and Mazda 6 2.0 L 139 bhp.

Its just about not having two same cars.

what say.
jalmahd
Rookie
Rookie

Postby T.N.T on Sat May 27, 2006 5:37 pm

Well, I think that you get a little more car for your money if you buy the Mazda 6. Mazda 6 is certainly better looking too. Passenger room is also good. Interior design and quality of materials is 5-star. :wink:
What are you waiting for? Go buy it! :wink:
T.N.T
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Postby jalmahd on Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:02 pm

hey guys, i'm back with some things to be clarified. Mean time, i was doing alot of reasearch on used cars coz one more week left for the deadline of mazda 6. Last week i scrawled al over the al aweer market looking out for a Accord. Could find only the base model i.e. without alloy wheel, minus some interior stuff. Is it just because the base one is the favourite one or they are shown "get out my house you dumb" tag from the previous owners. Or it may be because the most Accord buyers opt for base model than the high end.
Any way i found some interesting ones with good looks and condition, body color for around 55k for the 2004 models.
what would you guys suggest about buying a base model used accord without alloy and then upgrading it with alloy and some interior stuff.
I know there could be some really nice "says" to come.
Does anyone excel in used car market price out there?

regds
jalmahd
Rookie
Rookie

Postby T.N.T on Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:08 pm

55,000..hmmmmm
You didn't mention the mileage on the car so it's a bit difficult to say.
That kind of amount is suitable only if the car is in a very good condition and mileage is in the 50k range. Otherwise 50k DHS is a suited amount.
T.N.T
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

accord

Postby root on Fri Jun 02, 2006 2:44 pm

Hey, the reason you dont find many accords is because they are really popular cars here and is affordable by most.

Is it the 2.4L version or something else?

Anyhow, price for the Accord 2004 varies around 50 to 55k if you do a search on the autodealer.ae Advanced Search (always use this as a gauge of what prices are). That is the advertised price, so its up to you how good a negotiator you are. Mileage/Condition/FSH does matter and will change the prices +/- 5000. As hondas and toyotas are fast moving vehicles, the variance in pricing is not that much.

Given there is a new shape this year, maybe the price will be lower. You might want to also check with the dealers if they any new 2005 cars (in the old shape but otherwise new). Normally you can get some good bargains on those.
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby jalmahd on Sat Jun 10, 2006 8:42 am

hi guys,

I couldn't decide on any used cars. Or rather bit too worried about its history. Finally sticked to Mazda6.

I got the Mazda6 delivered on wednesday. Its 2.3L black and i felt personally better driving it than the new civic. interiors are great. especially the control. I felt it had good grip on the road. In just one day i drove at nearly 1000 Kms. the AC is much cooler. To conclude all its a great car the value.

And thank you all guys for the earlier advices.

cheers.
jalmahd
Rookie
Rookie

congrats!

Postby root on Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:29 pm

You got yourself a good car! When are you posting a picture of it?

And for us others who cant bother to go down to Galadari, how much did you pay for it? what was the waiting time? choice of colours? any good financing deals?
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby jalmahd on Tue Jun 13, 2006 6:52 am

yeah.

it is indeed.

Its just under 65k. Thats price tag now for the 2.3 L medium range i.e. minus cruise control, abs and sunroof, the things missing from those high end. 2.0 comes for much lesser. And for the waiting period you just have to wait one day if your bank and other documents are 'all clear'.

the only setback is the choice of colors. I wanted to go for red. but i checked in one day late. The last remaining red was sold the previous day. And i had choose from two black availbale throughout uae.
You get very few remaining colors to choose from. This is just coz mazda is coming up with 2007 mazda6 in september.
But i don't think it will differ in huge way from its predecessors.

Anyway those who wanna go for mazda6 atleast should have the patience to wait for another two months and see how the new 2007 model comes up.

any comments....
jalmahd
Rookie
Rookie

Return to Car Buying Advice