First time buyer

Discuss which cars to get, where to get them from, tricks and traps to avoid, insurance... Also, great place for First time Car Buyers in UAE!

Moderator: azi malik

First time buyer

Postby kevinjohn on Sun May 02, 2010 7:31 pm

Hi!

I am new to Dubai and this forum and would really appreciate any help from this forum.

I am thinking of getting a car in Dubai sometime in July. Intend to use the car for 3 years. Good resale value. Have a family of 4 + 1 maid. Mostly onroad. Good safety features

Please advise on the following questions:
Is it better to get a new car or a used car? (considering using for 3 years)
I like the flexibility of packing more people in the car especially when there are guests. What would be the most suitable car in Dubai?

I am thinking of the BMW X5 with 7 seats. Not sure if this is the car with good resale value and value for money in Dubai. Much as I like the brand as I am drive one now, are there other cars that are better or offer better value for money?

Hope to hear from all kind souls out there. Cheers!
kevinjohn

My Ride: BMW 318i Touring
My Profession: Chef
My Dream Ride: BMW X7

Re: First time buyer

Postby root on Sun May 02, 2010 8:30 pm

Kevin,
Welcome to the forums!

Given you need a 7 seater your options are limited.
The only ones with good resale value are the Japanese makes, and among them the Toyota Land Cruisers and Prados, the Nissan Patrols among the better. Then you have the Mitsibushi Pajero (but its a real step down from a BMW X5). You also have the Nissan Armada, and the Lexus and Infiniti variants of the above.

Among the other European options you have Audi Q7 and Range Rover/Land Rover. Both have bad resale. If you go for any of these I'd go for atleast a year old to cushion the max depreciation.

You then have the American variants, but they are dismal in resale. I'm yet to ever recommend any of these :)

The X5 is a great car, if you can afford it. Its quite pricey, and the UAE prices on BMW are not the best in the world either. Resale wise you will lose around 15-20% value per year.
Come and discuss at the most lively forums about Cars, Bikes, 4x4s...at http://www.autodealer.ae at the Autodealer UAE Forums.
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

My Ride: VW Touareg V8 2005
My Profession: Car Enthusiast
My Dream Ride: This month: Nissan GT-R

Postby azi malik on Mon May 03, 2010 11:08 am

I would say go for the Toyota versions... prado, lexus, or the Nissan petrol.
durable plus better on resale! :D
azi malik
F1 Racer
F1 Racer

My Ride: I don't know what I ride
My Profession: automotive consultant
My Dream Ride: dunoo

Postby root on Mon May 03, 2010 2:53 pm

Toyota is amazing...they have recalls, but they are still selling as before without any discounts! The UAE love affair for Toyota is unique.

The new Nissan Patrol should be a good bet, as its a new shape and pretty luxurious. However, the critics are not out on how good of a >>patrol<< is the Patrol, as the old one was famous for its ruggedness and off-roadness. The die-hards are already saying that its lost its soul and become a Range Rover wannabe.
Come and discuss at the most lively forums about Cars, Bikes, 4x4s...at http://www.autodealer.ae at the Autodealer UAE Forums.
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby fadi khan on Mon May 03, 2010 4:10 pm

hmmm i agree with azi and root... but nissan has changed shape... and toyota new onez like lexus and parado had issues in the stability(and had to be recalled :D).... now as they are back to good to go again... i think toyota is a better option incase of dubai... when u can jus go offroad in an instant or drive on motorways...
fadi khan
Drifter
Drifter

My Profession: MBA
My Dream Ride: Cygnus

Postby kevinjohn on Wed May 05, 2010 2:12 am

Thank you for all the replies. Looks like I will be looking at some Japanese cars instead of BMW. I have driven both types but I must say I am still impress with BMW. Nevertheless, I have to be practical here and go for value.
DO you think a new car is a better deal than used car in Dubai?
kevinjohn

My Ride: BMW 318i Touring
My Profession: Chef
My Dream Ride: BMW X7

Postby root on Thu May 06, 2010 9:23 am

If you can afford it, go for the X5! you live only once!

If you can find a good deal with a 1-2 year old, then go with that as the car is still under warranty then and you save some money. However, I do not see any great deals on the Japanese for 1-2 year old cars unless the shape has changed (like Patrol). Also, note these days the dealers are giving a number of freebies with new cars like free service, insurance, etc, which you might not get on second hands, so weigh in everything while comparing.
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby frennyscott on Fri May 14, 2010 7:50 am

I am supporting you all because you have shared information which I want to know for buying my first car and this will be also helpful to those people who is new for buying car so carry on.
frennyscott
Rookie
Rookie

My Ride: Toyota Corolla
My Profession: FGGHDGDG
My Dream Ride: Toyota Corolla

Postby sonya zafar on Tue May 18, 2010 10:07 am

buy an x5... it has no match!!!
sonya zafar
Ride Pimper
Ride Pimper

My Ride: Honda Accord
My Profession: Marketing Analyst
My Dream Ride: Land Rover

Postby fadi khan on Mon May 24, 2010 3:57 pm

toyota has better resale than bmw... but the class goes to bmw... if u can afford it... then u go for it !! :D
fadi khan
Drifter
Drifter

Postby sonya zafar on Mon May 31, 2010 11:44 am

buy bmw toyota cannot match bmw!
sonya zafar
Ride Pimper
Ride Pimper

My Ride: Honda Accord
My Profession: Marketing Analyst
My Dream Ride: Land Rover

Postby fadi khan on Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:16 am

toyota is better in terms of resale... and now toyota offers the same luxury... its only the brand consciousness nothing more
fadi khan
Drifter
Drifter

Return to Car Buying Advice