Want good cheap car

Discuss which cars to get, where to get them from, tricks and traps to avoid, insurance... Also, great place for First time Car Buyers in UAE!

Moderator: azi malik

Want good cheap car

Postby mrehman on Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:12 pm

Hi All!

I need a small car to drive around the city. my hubby already has a bigger car, and i need a smaller one for myself. however, we are not planning to spend much (anywhere between 15-18k).

i need a reliable car for me and my two little kids. will use only rarely. is diahatsu sirion 05-06 a safe bet? what abt chevy spark? not safe enough? hyundai getz?

any suggestions welcome... also pls advise the most reliable car.

Many thanks.
mrehman
Rookie
Rookie

My Ride: hyundai matrix
My Profession: writer
My Dream Ride: golden stallion!

Re: Want good cheap car

Postby T.N.T on Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:55 pm

Sirion is better than Spark and Getz.
Give respect, get respect.
T.N.T
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Postby root on Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:49 pm

Hey! Welcome to the forum! Good to have some females in this male crowded forum!

When you say rarely, how much will you use it per day or week? Also more importantly, where will you be using it? Which roads, etc?

My opinion about all your choices, the Sirion, Getz or Spark is that these all have very little metal between you and an accident, God forbid. I would not be at peace of mind with my wife and kids in that car on Al-Khail, or Emirates road, or even SZR.

Among your choices, i think all are fine. Sirion and Getz are better I believe. You also have the choice of Suzuki which has some nicer cars in my view in the mini-size range.

But I would also urge to look into increasing your budget and getting something larger. Go with a popular Japanese model and you will not lose any more money than the Sirion/Getz, if you have the spare cash or can get it financed.
Come and discuss at the most lively forums about Cars, Bikes, 4x4s...at http://www.autodealer.ae at the Autodealer UAE Forums.
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

My Ride: VW Touareg V8 2005
My Profession: Car Enthusiast
My Dream Ride: This month: Nissan GT-R

Postby mrehman on Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:52 am

Thanks root! that bit of advice was actually quite helpful. many thanks... i'd be driving around in bur dubai, possibly mirdif if we move. but not much highway driving- maximum few times a week close to home (pick kids from school, small chores etc. i love the suzuki swift (reminds me of the mini) but its beyond our budget.

whats your take on toyota echo 2005? or should i go for sirion? yaris of course is also an option, but what kind of yaris should one go for? i mean whats a safe mileage, and what year? remember, i'm looking for a good price...

i previously drove a focus and loved it. jowever, parts, servicing etc was a hassle and the car pretty much DIED on us one fine day... lol
mrehman
Rookie
Rookie

Postby root on Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:28 am

As long as are driving in areas with not too many trucks, buses and fast traffic you should be fine with a small vehicle.

The Toyota Echo is a no-frills vehicle but is easy to resell normally. Same goes for Yaris. I would tend for Yaris more if it fits the budget. Safe mileage/year - it depends on how its been driven, but under 50k km is what I'd look at. Also would get a proper checkup through a mechanic to save any expensive repairs. Toyotas a generally low-maintenance vehicles and hence the popularity.

Daihatsu is really a Toyota as well. Not really sure about its resale value. I would suggest to search on this site and see how much these depreciates to get an idea.
Come and discuss at the most lively forums about Cars, Bikes, 4x4s...at http://www.autodealer.ae at the Autodealer UAE Forums.
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Brembo on Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:37 pm

how much is your budget? will you consider a used car also?
im sure we can recommend many used reliable safe cars for you.
Brembo
Street Racer
Street Racer

My Ride: riced up honda civic
My Profession: delivery boy
My Dream Ride: toyota corolla white

Postby mrehman on Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:58 pm

yes i am in fact looking for a used car in vcg... my budget as i mentioned is abt 15-18k. yeah i know diahatsu is taken care of by toyota so that was my first choice... wonder if i'll find something right... hopefullly i shall
mrehman
Rookie
Rookie

Postby root on Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:11 pm

The brand new Suzuki Alto is for 25-26k..not bad! But that's a small vehicle.

Wonder if you can get a VW Polo or Volvo S40 in this price. These are sturdy vehicles. Not much of a resale though.
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby T.N.T on Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:55 pm

You could also get a Camry/Accord but those would be older model years.
Give respect, get respect.
T.N.T
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Postby root on Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:14 am

Camry/Accord are very reliable cars! You won't lose much on them either in resale, specially the Camry.

But in your price range you might be able to get some good slightly old European brands like Audi, VW or Volvo. Search this site and you'll get a good idea.
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby mrehman on Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:55 pm

thanks guys!

actually accord n camry are huuuuuuuuuge.. and as it is, i hate parking, esp parallel... err.. so u get the idea :)

what abt ford focus 06? a car run 80k, should i even consider (i may get a good deal...)

whats the deal with peugeout, aveo, picanto? thanks ppl, i am confused still! :(
mrehman
Rookie
Rookie

Postby root on Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:36 pm

Ford Focus is fine! Peugeot is also fine! Resale sucks, but then you get em cheap as well.
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby mrehman on Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:18 pm

hello car gurus.

wats a fair price for peugeot 206 '06? mileage under 30000, with biggish white scratches on both rear doors... condition okay but not all that neat.....

thank you. all help much appreciated!
mrehman
Rookie
Rookie

Postby mrehman on Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:19 pm

parking scratches, these white ones
mrehman
Rookie
Rookie

Postby root on Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:45 am

Well new 206 is for around 45k
http://www.autodealer.ae/plugins/ad/new ... php?id=208

So, I am guessing that with 15% depreciation per year for 4 years should make it about 23k.
The mileage is low, but then it has scratches.
You need to always look at the car you buying..it could be work 30k or 3k depending on its condition.
Make sure the mileage is not tampered with. 30k in 4 years is low for UAE.
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to Car Buying Advice