New Golf GTi 6 vs. 2nd hand IS 300?

Discuss which cars to get, where to get them from, tricks and traps to avoid, insurance... Also, great place for First time Car Buyers in UAE!

Moderator: azi malik

New Golf GTi 6 vs. 2nd hand IS 300?

Postby lin24 on Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:40 pm

Hi there... I had posted earlier about list of cars I'm interested in, and thanks to those who have already commented... I've more or less settles on a shortlist of 2 or 3 cars, the leading one being Lexus IS300.

I recently came across reviews for the GTi6, and I have a new question now :D which is a better buy: a brand new Golf GTi6 or a 2nd hand IS 300?

GTI 6: AED 118,000 (source: dealer)
Standard model, interiors look good and have most of the trappings of higher end cars
3 years warranty with unlimited mileage
Has really good reviews online

Lexus IS 300 2nd Hand: AED 100,00 to 120,000 depending on age & mileage (usually 30,000 KM or more) (source: Futtaim AutoMall website - I'd prefer to buy from them and pay a 10-15 K AED premium for the peace of mind than from an unknown person).

Is a VW GTi worth the same price as a luxury Japanese Lexus IS? :?

What's better from the following angles:
1. Size / Handling in turns: Ease of parking is important to me as I stay in a very busy part of town, so a small car that's easy to park is paramount.

2. Resale: I plan to keep the car at least for 2 years, so should I be very concerned about Jap vs. German?

3. Maintenance costs: VW is German, 'nuff said....
lin24
Cruiser
Cruiser

My Ride: First time car buyer
My Profession: Exec
My Dream Ride: MINI

Re: New Golf GTi 6 vs. 2nd hand IS 300?

Postby lin24 on Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:44 pm

Also, haggling is an accepted practice at new car dealers and 2nd hand places like Automall, I assume?
lin24
Cruiser
Cruiser

Postby root on Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:56 am

Tough choice!!

First on the haggling! Well, you'll be surprised to know that you don't get much of a 'haggle' on cars over here. On the new cars, earlier they would not care less if you bought or not. Now, I think they have more pressure to sell, but they will offer you some freebies instead of price reduction. On the GTi, I cannot think more than 2-3k of discount, which everyone who asks gets anyway.

To your previous post:
1. Size: Well, the GTi is smaller. But what you need are parking sensors, which I believe the IS comes with standard.
2. Resale: Lexus will be better.
3. Well, Lexus is the most reliable car in UAE from what I hear when I talk to any garage.

End of the day, you need to get something you will like for the next 2 years. Both are good options. Cost of running will probably be very similar. Price fall on the GTi will be higher as it is a less popular car over here. Safety wise, the Lexus has more (not much more) metal between you and a potential rear-end crasher.
Come and discuss at the most lively forums about Cars, Bikes, 4x4s...at http://www.autodealer.ae at the Autodealer UAE Forums.
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

My Ride: VW Touareg V8 2005
My Profession: Car Enthusiast
My Dream Ride: This month: Nissan GT-R

Postby T.N.T on Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:04 am

Get the IS, you'll lose less in the long term.
Give respect, get respect.
T.N.T
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Postby lin24 on Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:28 pm

Thanks Root and T.N.T for your comments.

As far as parking sensors go, the GTi 6 comes fitted with sensors as well as rearview camera in the standard model. Plus it has 7 air bags etc, and from what I've read online, VW is uncompromising on safety.

Now for resale - I've read in the forums that the biggest depreciation for a Euro car vs. a Jap car comes in the 1st year, so if you are looking to sell 2 - 3 years out, would the difference be very significant?

Moreover, if I were the 2nd owner of a Lexus, I will be selling it as a 3rd hand car! Doesn't that affect resale as well?

Nah, I'm not leaning to the GTi, if that's what you are thinking based on my questions :-) Just thinking out loud and playing the devil's advocate!
lin24
Cruiser
Cruiser

Postby lin24 on Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:32 pm

Also, for the record, a brand new IS300 is 152,000 AED for the standard model with 3 yrs or 100,000 KM warranty. They still have a Ramadan discount for a final price of 145,000 AED. (Source: Lexus dealership in Abu Dhabi)

I would only look to get the IS300 second hand though - can't shell out that much for a new car!
lin24
Cruiser
Cruiser

Postby root on Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:01 pm

Try calling Dynatrade! (Search on this forum for the name and you'll find the details).

They sell Toyota at discount, by grey-importing from Oman.

GTi is a great car - sporty and all! If you like it, go for it! You only live once.

You are right about maximum price fall after first year! So, using that principle you should buy a 1 year old GTi. I would personally go for a brand new Lexus/Toyota, as the price fall is not significant to go for a second hand, and a second hand VW, Audi, etc given maximum one-year depreciation is over with.
Come and discuss at the most lively forums about Cars, Bikes, 4x4s...at http://www.autodealer.ae at the Autodealer UAE Forums.
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby lin24 on Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:18 pm

Thanks Root! I'll check out Dynatrade.

Do you know if they offer warranty and deliver to Abu Dhabi?
lin24
Cruiser
Cruiser

Postby T.N.T on Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:26 am

They do provide warranty.
Give respect, get respect.
T.N.T
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Postby Brembo on Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:25 pm

you can get a base model brand new is300 from lexus oman for 120k, they will deliver to your doorstep :)
chk your pm for the contact details
Brembo
Street Racer
Street Racer

My Ride: riced up honda civic
My Profession: delivery boy
My Dream Ride: toyota corolla white

Postby mike_m on Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:05 am

I've driven both and i'd advise going for the Golf (I actually got a TT, but same engine). OR, how about a Scirocco? same price as the 3 door GTi isn't it? But with adaptive suspension included in the abse spec, which is brilliant. Its so much better to drive - actually has usable rear seats.

Please test drive both - I think you will be surprised at how pedestrian the IS's engine is compared to the VW Turbo one - no contest in my books. The only advantage the Lexus has, is re sale (which is not going to do you much good 3rd hand) and the electronic toys, which are definitely nice, but not necessary in my opinion.

mike_m
Tuner
Tuner

Postby mike_m on Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:05 am

haha, I just looked at the date of the last post, oops!
mike_m
Tuner
Tuner

Postby root on Thu Nov 26, 2009 7:55 am

never late for good opinions! :)
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby docaam on Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:07 pm

If you have bought it yet..I will suggest go for GTI ftw the new comes with adaptive suspension and drive of GTI will make your forget the luxury IS provides... space wise GTI IMO is better as there is no room at the back in IS....depreciation difference will be 5% after two years
docaam
Ride Pimper
Ride Pimper

My Ride: 07 G35s sedan
My Profession: Healthcare
My Dream Ride: 09 STI

Postby Brembo on Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:37 am

2nd hand IS vs new golf. hmm, if resale value is important for you get the IS but since your buying used it might not matter much.

also note the IS is rear wheel drive whereas the gti is front wheel drive. im sure as far as options like gps, backup cam, ventilated seats, radar cruise go, these might not be present in the golf.

test drive both, see the options which are important to you, then make a decision.
if the IS300 is used make sure to get it checked completely by a competent mechanic!
Brembo
Street Racer
Street Racer

My Ride: riced up honda civic
My Profession: delivery boy
My Dream Ride: toyota corolla white

Return to Car Buying Advice