Age vs. Miles in a 2nd hand car purchase

Discuss which cars to get, where to get them from, tricks and traps to avoid, insurance... Also, great place for First time Car Buyers in UAE!

Moderator: azi malik

Age vs. Miles in a 2nd hand car purchase

Postby lin24 on Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:03 pm

Hi all,

If you were to buy a 2nd hand car, what's more imp to look at - age or miles? Eg a 2007 model with 35,000 miles vs. a 2009 model with 60,000 miles? Assuming they are both at similar levels of maintenance?

Also, if you are buying a 1 or 2 year old second-hand car, what is the most number of miles you would be comfortable with? Assuming these are sedans that have been used to daily commuting, not off-raded etc.

I'm sure these are very basic questions, but I'm a first time car buyer, so bear with me :-)
lin24
Cruiser
Cruiser

My Ride: First time car buyer
My Profession: Exec
My Dream Ride: MINI

Re: Age vs. Miles in a 2nd hand car purchase

Postby Brembo on Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:24 pm

tough question, if they were both in same condition i would choose the 2007 with less miles, provided the mileage is actually accurate and the seller got paperwork to back it up.
if i were to buy a used car id be looking for something that has done on avg about 20-25k kms per year max with full service history, mature/responsible owner.

for example, i have a file with all the service papers/service receipts, tire/brake receipts and pretty much all the work done on the car so when i decide to sell the car it might help out the prospective buyer.
Brembo
Street Racer
Street Racer

My Ride: riced up honda civic
My Profession: delivery boy
My Dream Ride: toyota corolla white

Return to Car Buying Advice