Advice on first car - City-Civic / Mazda 3-6 / MINI / IS300

Discuss which cars to get, where to get them from, tricks and traps to avoid, insurance... Also, great place for First time Car Buyers in UAE!

Moderator: azi malik

Advice on first car - City-Civic / Mazda 3-6 / MINI / IS300

Postby lin24 on Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:00 pm

Hi there,

I've been lurking on these forums for a couple of weeks and want to ask you forummers for advice.

Abt my driving ability:A new Abu Dhabi transplant with little on-road experience - I've mainly spent time in big cities with excellent subways, so I've never had to keep my own car in the last 10 years. I occasionally rent a car over a weekend, but that doesn't amount to much.

I'm looking to buy a new car by the end of the year. I'll mainly use it for daily office commute and city shopping driving, with an occasional drive to Dubai (once every 4 to 6 weeks).

Also, I live in a part of town notorious for it's lack of parking, so the smaller the car, the better.

Please help evaluate along the following:

My aspirational buy is a MINI - nothing comes close. It's cute (yes, I'm a lady) and zippy. But I'm extremely concerned reg: safety given the SUVs with their manic drivers on the streets of Abu Dhabi. Also, the price - is it worth it? And I've read that maintenance is very expensive.

My sensible, economical choices are between Honda and Mazda (the price difference between the models does not matter too much in this range)

Honda City or Civic - I'm leaning towards City for it's size that makes it easier to park, but I understand Civic is a way superior car. But it looks like every Tom, xxxx and Hari has a Honda (or Nissan or Toyota) here.

Mazda 3 or 6 - Shape is nicer, plus Mazda 6 gives the option of leather seats. But the interiors (dashboard) don't look as nice.

What are your comments re: a first-time car buy?

Edited to add:
I would also consider a 2nd hand Lexus IS300 - what are your comments on that as well?
Last edited by lin24 on Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lin24
Cruiser
Cruiser

My Ride: First time car buyer
My Profession: Exec
My Dream Ride: MINI

Re: Advice on buying first car - City / Civic / Mazda 3-6 / MINI

Postby T.N.T on Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:19 pm

Mazda 6, you won't regret it.
Give respect, get respect.
T.N.T
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Postby lin24 on Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:00 pm

Yeah, I've heard good things about it - but it's a little on the bigger side, isn't it? I am going to be a single driver, so something smaller will fit my needs as well - including making parking easy, I guess.

Finding parking space in Abu Dhabi annoys the carp out of me!
lin24
Cruiser
Cruiser

Postby lin24 on Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:02 pm

Also, what's the best time of the year to buy cars in this region? When do manufacturers release the new models? Assuming this also leads to a churn in the 2nd hand market as well...
lin24
Cruiser
Cruiser

Re: Advice on first car - City-Civic / Mazda 3-6 / MINI / IS300

Postby T.N.T on Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:40 pm

Every manufacturer has a different date for releasing models. A Mazda 6 would be between a Civic and Accord, not too big and not so small that its unsafe.
Give respect, get respect.
T.N.T
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Postby Brembo on Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:32 pm

all your options are good, the mini is a great car. civic is good, mazda 6 is good, mazda 3 is a bit underpowered but i think for you it would not be a problem.
the is300 too is a good car but even 2yr old ones are selling for pretty high prices.
ramadan would have been the best time to buy as you get many offers but now since the recession i think you might be able to get a deal even now, make sure you haggle on the price quoted by the dealer, they sometimes bring it down a bit more.
Brembo
Street Racer
Street Racer

My Ride: riced up honda civic
My Profession: delivery boy
My Dream Ride: toyota corolla white

Postby ewap8 on Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:48 am

Based on your requirements, I suggest you get the Civic or Madza 6. You won't regret it =)
ewap8
Drift King
Drift King

My Ride: Infiniti FX (2010)
My Profession: N/A
My Dream Ride: Aston Martin V12 Vantage

Return to Car Buying Advice