Ford Explorer

Discuss which cars to get, where to get them from, tricks and traps to avoid, insurance... Also, great place for First time Car Buyers in UAE!

Moderator: azi malik

Ford Explorer

Postby dayani on Sat Apr 29, 2006 1:55 am

hi guys
i am thinking to get a ford explorer any model from 2001-2003 so i want to know more about this car
like the fuel consumption,
the price, the options....
i heard that explorer comes without sunroof! is that true?
and whats the difference between XLT and XLS

so guys let me know as soon as possible....
dayani
Dragster
Dragster

ford explorer

Postby sushi on Sat Apr 29, 2006 1:46 pm

I kind of liked it and it seemed to be good value for money. However, a friend owned it and was not happy with it. His comments were that after 2 years it started giving expensive repair issues. It also did not seem to be great for this weather...some rubber parts started softening/melting.

Having said that, its a big hit in the US and was the most selling SUV a couple of years ago.

Will need to do more research and get back to you!

Have you test-driven it yet?
sushi
Tuner
Tuner

Postby dayani on Sat Apr 29, 2006 2:17 pm

thanks sushi
i havent test drive it..
well i am just concerned about the very expensive spare parts and the a/c which is not really good for our weather.the rubber on the car melts.
and as you said weve got to make more research.

lets see what more we can find about this car.

:)
dayani
Dragster
Dragster

explorer

Postby root on Sat Apr 29, 2006 2:29 pm

Well, the XLS and XLT are both 4 liter 6cyl vehicles and fairly similar to what I know. The XLT is a bit more luxurious with accessories and a bit more expensive.

I agree with Sushi on the cars reliability. The vehicle starts breaking up as soon as the guarantee period ends. Almost like guarantee is the "use-before" date. Normal problems include problems with the transmission, gearbox, electrics.

Also, this car loses value very fast.

My suggestion is to go for a Pajero or Prado. I know every tom, xxxx and harry has one over here, but there is a reason for that.
If you have a higher budget go for Land Cruiser or Patrol.

If you want to go american, then I still think Jeep has some nice models that are better worth the dirhams you pay.
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

My Ride: VW Touareg V8 2005
My Profession: Car Enthusiast
My Dream Ride: This month: Nissan GT-R

Postby dayani on Sat Apr 29, 2006 2:58 pm

so i should better stay away from ford explorer and i have no idea about these american cars..
but i think i should check out pajero 2000 model
what do you think about this?
dayani
Dragster
Dragster

pajero is good

Postby root on Sat Apr 29, 2006 8:09 pm

Yes, Pajeros are good! Try to get one that has not been offroad and you are totally fine.
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby dayani on Sun Apr 30, 2006 2:49 pm

thanks root and sushi :D
dayani
Dragster
Dragster

Postby doohan777 on Sun Apr 30, 2006 5:18 pm

Guys,
very interesting discussion...
I actually have been looking at about 5 different explorers to buy. All 2005 models ranging from 11 to 30,000kms.

Its a vehicle for my wife and the kiddys...we also drove a 3.8L new pajero. Although my wife liked it, she 'preferred' the ford as it 'felt more like a car to drive'. I amm quite prepared to buy a new pajero (as I would have the option of taking it off road and being confident!) but she really likes the explorer (which I dont think would be too good off road at all!)

I agree with them losing their value - these are all only a year old and have lost about 28%. My wife has pretty much ruled out getting a brand new pajero 3.8L over a second hand Explorer - go figure.... :roll:

I refused to buy a new ford - for the simple reason is as soon as you roll of the floor, it will lose 30K. But I am concerned about the problems you have pointed out - I'd like to know more??
doohan777
Rookie
Rookie

cant ignore your wife ;)

Postby root on Sun Apr 30, 2006 6:08 pm

Women select cars as they select their shoes and purses...by how it looks. :)
Specially Pajero does not appeal that well to females...its looks are a bit crude.

The Ford Explorer looks nice and spacious, and gives a big vehicle feel..no doubt about that. The cars start to give you problems around 70,000-80,000 km or 3 years.

Have never taken an explorer offroad, but offroading does wear and tear your vehicle pretty badly. Even the pajeros and land cruisers get hurt during this exercise....sand in the engine, under-side hitting hard objects, going RPM crazy on the engine trying to get out of the sand, etc.

My advice...dont limit yourself to these 2 only and look at a few more vehicles. I would suggest Toyota Prado which has better looks and interior or maybe Nissan Pathfinder.
You might also want to look at the Jeep Grand Cherokee. It loses value as much as Ford but slightly more reliable.
Also, the Korean ones are also good value for money like the Hyundai Santa Fe and Kia Sorento...but these are really city SUVs.
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby doohan777 on Mon May 01, 2006 8:21 am

The loss in value of an explorer is terrible -they are 97K new for the base model, and 12 months later they are 70K.

ONe of the "must haves" was 7 seats - i wasnt sure that the Jeep came as a 7 seater?

Yes we looked at the Pathfinder brand new - we both loved the look of it but didnt test drive it as you had to make a booking. It is far and away the better looking vehicle, suits everyone in relation to size, practicality, and the odd off road trip (not dune bashing!).

Being a brand new model though, I'm a bit hesitant to get the first series....although I know Nissans are usually pretty reliable.

Are there any reviews on it around?? Its only 5000AED more for the mid spec than a 3.8L Pajero.

As an aside - to lease a new pajero/pathfinder through HSBC (35% residual over 4 years) is only about 300AED a month more than doing a straight loan for a 70K Explorer. But I suppose you do have to pay it all back in the long run!!!
doohan777
Rookie
Rookie

calculations

Postby sushi on Mon May 01, 2006 1:18 pm

Hey, have you checked the loan calculator here:
http://www.autodealer.ae/plugins/ad/carloan.php

It tells you how much your car costs you totally.

Buying a more expensive car with a lower depreciation is sometimes cheaper than buying a cheaper car with higher depreciation.

In simpler words, some rough estimates:

Your Ford Explorer:
Cost: AED 100,000
Total cost with financing over 4 years: AED 120,000
Sale price after 4 years: AED 45,000
You Lose: 120,000 - 45,000 = 75,000

Mitsubishi Pajero or Toyota Prado:
Cost: AED 115,000
Total cost with financing over 4 years: AED 130,000
Sale price after 4 years: AED 65,000
You Lose: 130,000 - 65,000 = 65,000

The above is just for illustration and the figures are not all accurate. However, what it says is that it might cost the same to drive a nicer more expensive car, as interest rates are so low these days (and the higher interest you pay is offloaded by the lower depreciation)
sushi
Tuner
Tuner

Postby doohan777 on Mon May 01, 2006 2:15 pm

THe Explorers we were looking at were both 70K - 12 months old.

Through the course of today I have convinced Wifey to ditch the Explorer and go the new car route - its an extra 500AED a month if you go down the lease road.

Now it is down to:

Prado (126K)
Pajero (110K)
Pathfinder (115K)

I will go the lease road with HSBC. Residual is 40% on Prado, and 35% on the other two. Because of the higher residual value of the Prado, monthly payments are quite similar to the others.

Ive tried to find some comparisons on the 3 cars but no luck as yet :(

Can anyone point me in the right direction?? A 3 way test-off would be the best :)
doohan777
Rookie
Rookie

Prado!

Postby root on Mon May 01, 2006 4:38 pm

Prado is my choice! Its a bit more expensive but the best of the lot! It looks nice, rides great and is reliable. Great resale value!

Pathfinder would also be high-up, as its a new model/shape this year so it will retain its value for some time. But as someone mentioned, there is a waiting period to get that.

Pajero gets you more car for your money, but its looks are not as exciting.

BTW, entry level models on all those 3 are a lot less than the prices you are quoting. Last time I checked prices started under a 100k.
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby doohan777 on Mon May 01, 2006 5:52 pm

prices I have (which I have gotten recently)
Prado 121 entry, 126 next up (I think this adds cruise, CD, alloys and a couple of other things)
Pajero 3.8L entry 110, but it comes with pretty much everything except leather and sunroom, which i'm not paying for (3.0L entry is 85K)
Pathfinder is 105 entry, but 115K gets you a heap extra, cruise, climate, alloys, from memory this was the most difference in terms of what you get for the next model up.
Will be driving the prado and pathfinder Thursday. Have driven the Pajero already.

Decision thereafter!!

If it was looks only I'd go for the pathfinder - just dont know about resale as its a new model, but the fact that there is a waiting list seems to suggest it should be right for 3-4 years!
doohan777
Rookie
Rookie

pathfinders have good resale

Postby root on Tue May 02, 2006 1:12 am

The old pathfinders had great resale value, and they are great vehicles.
I would think its a good bet.

You are right, the Prado VX 6 cyl is more expensive. The GX 4 cyl model is under a 100k, but that one is a bit under-powered (maybe good for the wife though :)). You can get it a bit cheaper if you buy from Dynatrade instead of Al-Futtaim...I know a few who have done that. But, then I dont know if the resale is effected by that or not (doubt it if you are selling after 3+ years).

But sitting here....the pathfinder at 115k with those extras looks like a good one and your wife will like it as well.
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to Car Buying Advice