What to buy - Ford Edge/ Honda CRV or any other suggestion

Discuss which cars to get, where to get them from, tricks and traps to avoid, insurance... Also, great place for First time Car Buyers in UAE!

Moderator: azi malik

What to buy - Ford Edge/ Honda CRV or any other suggestion

Postby kdsilva on Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:46 pm

Hi all;

Wud appreciate some help and advice. We hv been goign to all the car showrooms looking at deals and have now come at crossroads. I test drove the Toyota Fortuner 2.7 ltr (currently under the promotional offer for 80k). Didnt really like the drive and the interiors but then looked at the value for money part of it as friends told me the interiors can always be done up. The Prado is also available for 100k and looks like a better buy, have to test drive it yet. Only drawback for both these being that the dealership does not include insurance and service - which means that I will ahve to cough up an initial amount for the insurance as well as the servicing. While on these offers also came across the Ford Edge 2009 again for 100k. This however includes 1 yr insurance, 3 yr service and 5 yr warranty. I loved the exterior as well the interior looks. Will be test driving it tomorrow. And may also test drive the Ford Escape for 80k.

So can you guys please give ur opinions on the 4 cars listed above - Toyota Fortuner (basic) 2.7 ltr, Toyota Prado, Ford Edge and Ford Escape. Pls consider the cost expense and the fact that I am not going to be venturing out offroad a lot...mostly city driving. For us most important is initial cost and value for money as well as good resale and interiors.
Last edited by kdsilva on Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kdsilva

My Ride: looking for one now
My Profession: Office
My Dream Ride: lexus

Re: What to buy - Fortuner/Prado (under the promotion)/Ford Edge

Postby T.N.T on Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:06 pm

Don't buy the Prado, a new one is coming really soon.
Ford Edge remains the best choice among the Escape and Fortuner but bear in mind that American cars have poor resale value.
Give respect, get respect.
T.N.T
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Postby root on Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:08 pm

Well, reliability and resale wise, the Toyotas rule! With the current price levels, I would be tempted into suggesting going with one of those.

Insurance, you should calculate around 4% of the price as add on. Service-wise the Toyotas are pretty reliable. You will have gas/filter change, which is around 300 AED every 5k, and then the normal wear and tear of brakes and tyres.

The Fords have some enticing deals, but they have had more quality issues. Ok, they are now covered in the extended warranties and service packs, so you are covered. Resale is much more difficult.

TNT has valid point about the new Prado shape coming, but you are getting Prados at major discounts now as well. The GX was 120k not long ago, and VX around 150k. For the new model, they will obviously hike the price (its a monopoly on the Toyota dealership here so they can do whatever they want).
Come and discuss at the most lively forums about Cars, Bikes, 4x4s...at http://www.autodealer.ae at the Autodealer UAE Forums.
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

My Ride: VW Touareg V8 2005
My Profession: Car Enthusiast
My Dream Ride: This month: Nissan GT-R

Postby root on Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:08 pm

If you do go for the Prado, go for the VX 4.0 liter. You will never regret it.
Come and discuss at the most lively forums about Cars, Bikes, 4x4s...at http://www.autodealer.ae at the Autodealer UAE Forums.
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby kdsilva on Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:07 pm

Thanks guys...since then we've completely discarded the idea of the Toyota Fortuner cos I checked and found out that the new scheme is actually an eye wash! They are trying to selll completely stripped down base models of the cars at the discounted prices and I imagine this is because of the 2010 models with new shapes coming out soon. The Fortuner at 80k seemed too good to be true. But when I testd rove it, the interiors were really really basic and did not appeal at all.

We're now looking seriously at the Ford Edge but a lot of people are advicing against it because of the resale value. Considering that as of now we may be looking at being here and owning the car for atleast 2 years should we base our complete buying decision on resale? Also have been told that Ford cars break down suddenly and frequently. We thought the Edge would be a good deal as it is covered with 3 yrs service and 5 yrs company warranty. Can any Ford Edge owners help us with their comments and feedback on the car???

Also a lot of people are recommending the Honda CRV against the Edge. To be very honest, don't really like the look of the CRV. Also please knw that I am a woman and the car will be for me. Accepting all the cliches of the "woman driver" :), looks and interiors are important for me along with drive quality and service.

Ford Edge vs Honda CRV guys ...please help!
kdsilva

My Ride: looking for one now
My Profession: Office
My Dream Ride: lexus

Postby ewap8 on Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:13 pm

CRV in my opinion, is a ladies car more than any other.
Well, not more than the Lexus RX, but that's in another price bracket...
ewap8
Drift King
Drift King

My Ride: Infiniti FX (2010)
My Profession: N/A
My Dream Ride: Aston Martin V12 Vantage

Re: What to buy - Ford Edge/ Honda CRV or any other suggestion

Postby T.N.T on Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:49 pm

Edge
Give respect, get respect.
T.N.T
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Postby allandl on Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:18 am

CRV - good engine reliability and resale.

You might want to check the new Subaru Forester as I saw one this morning and it looks better compared to the old one.
The resale I think is not there but you will be driving in a SUV that is not as common as the CRV or Edge that everybody drives. :D
allandl
Cruiser
Cruiser

Postby root on Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:39 am

The Subaru is a good ride, but bad resale here. Their dealers Al-Khoory Motors dont seem to know how to sell cars. (Well, they never called back for my test ride ;)).

If you are considering the CRV, then you might as well throw in the Toyota RAV4, and some of the Nissans into the selection.

Between Edge vs CRV, my vote would be for the CRV. Why, reliable and economical car with good resale? I was gonna say its a bit of a girly car, but that I guess suits you ;)
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby balagan on Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:42 pm

I've had an Edge for over a year as a company car.

Don't go for the Limited model, leather seats and panoramic sunroof are not great for over here. Have had a few problems with gas leaks from the air con system, but Ford take it straight in and repair it. Been about every 5 months that it needs a refil of refridgerant.

Good Points - quite spacious inside. Distinctive looks. Airbags everywhere inside. Has a bit of grunt and seems to handle ok.

Bad Points - Brakes are somewhat soft for such a heavy car. Not really an offroader, AWD rather than 4WD, but it manages to get round the construction sites I work on OK. Quite thirsty, especially if you drive it hard.

Overall I quite like it, but if I didn't get it free then not sure if I would pay for one.
balagan

Return to Car Buying Advice