questions about buying imported cars....serious dude

Discuss which cars to get, where to get them from, tricks and traps to avoid, insurance... Also, great place for First time Car Buyers in UAE!

Moderator: azi malik

questions about buying imported cars....serious dude

Postby saparda on Sun May 31, 2009 5:12 am

hey yo guys....

like i said in my other topic i've been looking for a Infiniti G37s Coupe

and after the long search i found couple of them and most of them are imported form the US

so i picked the cleanest one and before i make my move i had to ask these questions...

1- i've heard alot of the problems about the cars coming from the US (the car just heat up from NOWHERE)...is that true i mean does the car have problems functioning in this weather & temperature.

2-the warranty of the car, do the dealers over here take it into consideration, like the one i found just reached 9K KM...so will the dealer fix any problems will appear in the car in the future.

3-car parts, are they different from the GCC kind, like if anything need to be replaced do i have to order the parts from the US.

4-now the car i found, the guy wants it for 145K....do you think it's a good price for the car or am i being fooled....lol

thankx in advance....
saparda
Cruiser
Cruiser

My Ride: maybe latter i'll tell you....
My Profession: Collage student
My Dream Ride: CLS BRABUS

Re: questions about buying imported cars....serious dude

Postby saparda on Sun May 31, 2009 5:16 am

forgive me for any typos...lol

the car is 2008......
saparda
Cruiser
Cruiser

Postby root on Sun May 31, 2009 8:55 am

1. I don't think you'll have heating problems. The specs are almost the same in the US and UAE model. The US spec probably has better pollution control. What you do not need to check though is the proper history of the car, as you have no clue what happened with it in US. At the minimum get a CARFAX report from US on the car.

2. I doubt it, unless infiniti offers international warranty. You'll need to check with the dealer.

3. I don't think so.

4. Check out the price on eBay for the same model and spec, and convert it into US Dollars. The freight and custom clearing costs max $2000. The custom duty is max 7% on commercial imports. Add it all up, and that should be really the price you want to pay. The guy needs to make some profit for his work, but he probably bought it off cheaper than what it goes on for on eBay. Importers normally buy them off auctions.
Come and discuss at the most lively forums about Cars, Bikes, 4x4s...at http://www.autodealer.ae at the Autodealer UAE Forums.
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

My Ride: VW Touareg V8 2005
My Profession: Car Enthusiast
My Dream Ride: This month: Nissan GT-R

Postby Brembo on Sun May 31, 2009 9:13 am

check with the uae dealer if they will honor the warranty (most probably they wont)
ask yourself is it worth 145k to have a car with no warranty? IF the gearbox decides to fall off one day, remember you will have to pay out of your pocket to fix it (no infiniti gearboxes dont fall off) but IMO your risking a lot just to try save some money.
maybe your better of paying a bit more and buying a gcc spec car.

again like we have mentioned before, there wont be any heating issues just because its an US import. its the same parts used in the cars in both countries.
Brembo
Street Racer
Street Racer

My Ride: riced up honda civic
My Profession: delivery boy
My Dream Ride: toyota corolla white

Postby saparda on Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:20 pm

ok guys....

how can i check the car....i mean is there a office or a website that can show me the history of the car when she was in the US......am buying it next week ^_^
saparda
Cruiser
Cruiser

Postby root on Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:40 pm

Yeah, you need to use something like CARFAX and get the full report.

Problem with Carfax is that to buy the service you need to have US credit card. UAE credit cards get rejected. So, you need to find a friend or buddy who will do this for you.

Alternatively, you can find guys in US that will do a CARFAX for you and you pay them over paypal. Search in craigslist or places like that for such people. Kinda dodgy but worked for me.
Come and discuss at the most lively forums about Cars, Bikes, 4x4s...at http://www.autodealer.ae at the Autodealer UAE Forums.
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby saparda on Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:35 am

wow thankx for the tip

am from saudi arabia and i have Visa & Masters....i use them all the time on the internet

so am sure they will work on that website too ^_^
saparda
Cruiser
Cruiser

Postby root on Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:52 am

Lets bet that they won't! :)

Their web purchase form does not have a country field, and without matching addresses the transaction gets rejected. But do try your luck.
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Jeaniest on Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:44 pm

As mentioned in an earlier post read the Edmunds Guide and local press to price it but certainly arrange a CARFAX report.

As opposed to roots statement the thing that you do need is a US Postcode, since it actually doesnt affect the verification or approval process I just used the Postcode of the Vendor, which was also a requirement, my UAE HSBC Visa card worked fine!

Found the service good and comprehensive and would happily recommend the same to others!

As to the car it should have an "international warranty" but speak to the local dealer. For AGMC (BMW) they would accept the international warranty and let it be covered under the local maintenance contract scheme for a reasonable fee assuming it had been dealer maintaing in the USA, so all worked out quite well!
Jeaniest

My Ride: C70, 745Li, Ford Edge, S60
My Profession: Worker
My Dream Ride: 1983 Xr3i

Postby root on Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:20 pm

Hmmm...my HSBC Visa card did not work! But maybe your trick will do it.
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby saparda on Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:50 am

hey guys...i have some bad news :(

today i saw the car.....the car is perfect but there is only 1 problem with it and i guess it's the reason why nobody buy's imported one (i think)

the navigation>>>>there is no map for the Gulf region.....if anyone knows the solution for this problem....like if there is any shop that can install the Gulf map in the system or if the dealer can do this....i will buy the car today before tomorrow... :) :)
saparda
Cruiser
Cruiser

Postby T.N.T on Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:50 pm

Dealer will do it, ask them.
Give respect, get respect.
T.N.T
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Postby root on Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:55 am

yeah, that should not be a problem, unless its the Japanese system which apparently requires hardware changes.
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby geo1400 on Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:49 am

Ask yourself, how much money will you actually save by importing? How much time will you waste?

I'm sure you could pick one up in your home country or even here were at least it will be Gulf spec and covered under warranty?

I would like to import as well but having looked at prices, there's not that much of a saving by importing - at least not enough to warrant the hassle. Unless ofcourse you buy from a car auction in the States, then you're taking a risk.

Thats my $0.02...
geo1400
Cruiser
Cruiser

Postby ewap8 on Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:32 pm

geo1400 wrote:there's not that much of a saving by importing

seems like there is, if your buying the Infiniti G37 or any BMW :)
ewap8
Drift King
Drift King

My Ride: Infiniti FX (2010)
My Profession: N/A
My Dream Ride: Aston Martin V12 Vantage

Next

Return to Car Buying Advice