New advice on buying a convertible car

Discuss which cars to get, where to get them from, tricks and traps to avoid, insurance... Also, great place for First time Car Buyers in UAE!

Moderator: azi malik

New advice on buying a convertible car

Postby Bell on Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:50 pm

Hello guys !

Am planning to buy a car real soon, am looking for a convertible/roadster type of car, my budget is around 200k so far i came up with these and they all got there cons, any help would be great !

BMW Z4 : I really like this one but around June - July the new shape is coming out :( and am not sure i will be waiting that long

SLK : slk 500 or slk 55 would be great, i wont be able to afford the new one, but second hand one would be great, something around 2006-2007

335i convertible : great car and all but the new one is out of my budget and i have not found any second hand one below 200k

SL: even though the new shape is out, i still prefer the old shape, would be good if i find a SL500 2006

Corvette c6: great looking car but i have heard they dont last long at all

any advice on those cars ? and what if i get a American spec ? American spec's are much cheaper but why ? is it easy to find spare parts for them? i found a SL55 AMG 2007 for around 170k.. its unbelievable but its American spec is that a problem ?

Need advice guys help !
Bell

My Ride: I don't know what I ride
My Profession: Student
My Dream Ride: G55

Re: New advice on buying a convertible car

Postby T.N.T on Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:25 pm

American specs are cheaper because these aforementioned cars are sold much cheaper in the US (brand new) when compared to the dealership prices here. AGMC etc. make about a 100 grand more on each car.
I recommend getting an American Spec SL, buying a brand-new car from these stealerships would be insanity.
Give respect, get respect.
T.N.T
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Postby Bell on Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:03 am

Thanks for your response TNT, but wouldn't the servicing be more expensive ? and what about the spare parts, are they sold in the dealership ? and finally i have heard a lot of rumors that all American cars that are sent to Dubai had accidents by there previous owners, and since this can be checked at the dealership (back in states) its hard to sell it there, that's why they bring it here. is that true ?

Thanks alot !
Bell

Postby Luxury Motors on Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:00 am

Hi Bell,
I saw your questions about American spec. cars and decided to help you because we are exporting cars from USA all over the world for around 6 years.
I see you are interested in Mercedes, BMW, these cars are made in Germany and when made for USA market the only difference usually is speedometer (miles) and lights (different color).
The cars are cheaper in USA, just because prices drops faster on the car after you buy it new, also market here is very big and competition unbelievable. That is why lots of international customers are buying cars from USA.

If you would like to compare prices you can check our inventory (http://www.luxurymotors.com) and see how much you can save buying car in USA instead of your country.

To see all our Mercedes SLK, please click on the link below:
http://www.luxurymotors.com/inv/search2 ... &keywords=

Mercedes SL here:

BMW 3-series convertible:

If you would like more information about shipping you can visit my companies profile in the discussion forum Luxury Cars from USA and Shipping cars from USA information
Or click here:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3424

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3427

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thank you
Luxury Motors
Rookie
Rookie

My Profession: International Sales Manager
My Dream Ride: BMW X6

Postby Bell on Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:04 pm

Great cars you got there,your prices are good to compared to UAE , but the only problem is , how do i get to check the car ? if the car had any accidents or so
Bell

Postby T.N.T on Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:57 pm

Bell wrote:Thanks for your response TNT, but wouldn't the servicing be more expensive ? and what about the spare parts, are they sold in the dealership ? and finally i have heard a lot of rumors that all American cars that are sent to Dubai had accidents by there previous owners, and since this can be checked at the dealership (back in states) its hard to sell it there, that's why they bring it here. is that true ?

Thanks alot !

Whoever told you all that deserves to be shot in the head.
Servicing will be the same because there is hardly any difference between local and US spec.
Spare parts are also easily available.
The rumor you heard is completely false, if you want to check on a car's history, ask the seller to provide a CARFAX report.
T.N.T
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Postby Luxury Motors on Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:06 pm

Dear Bell,
We provide CarFax history report on every car we sell. If car had accident in the report, before customer buys it, he needs to sign papers with us saying that he understands that the car was in an accident.
When you are looking at the car on our site, you can look at the history report yourself by clicking on the button located below car’s price, stock number miles. For example:

Luxury Sale Price: $84,895

Year: 2009
Make: Mercedes
Model: SL Class
Stock: C7280
Mileage: 12,241
Engine: 8 Cylinder
Transmission: Automatic
Exterior Color: Silver
Interior Color: Red
.................................................C A R F A X<----- please click here
VIN: WDBSK71F59F145901
Production Date: 04/2008

If some car does not have report on our web site, please ask us, we will send you one.

We describe our cars to international customers as best as we can, but to be sure that customer is buying good car, I suggest third party inspection. This means that customer orders certified mechanic that is not associated with our dealership to come and inspect the car. You can order third party vehicle inspection from the company CARCHEX. CARCHEX will perform a 155-point pre-purchase auto inspection almost anywhere in the USA. Their detailed auto inspection report includes the condition of body and paint, dents, scratches, rust, tires and wheels, glass, interior, missing parts, oil leaks, electrical items, and drive train performance. You can check inspection pricing on their web site http://www.carchex.com/inspect/order/default.aspx Lots of our USA and international customers used their service.

Please let me know if you have additional questions or concerns.
Last edited by Luxury Motors on Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Luxury Motors
Rookie
Rookie

My Profession: International Sales Manager
My Dream Ride: BMW X6

Postby root on Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:01 am

I kinda missed this interesting thread! Convertibles, and I must have a say.

I would personally select between the BMW 335i and Merc SL. The Z4 and SLK to me are like girly rides...I don't know why, but I guess I've only known girls who owned them.

The 335i is a beauty and also a four seater...great if you have kids as well.

The SL because it is the ultimate all time roadster.....ummmmm!

These days are recession days, and if you are on the outlook, you will find some good deals. Just keep on checking on the website, and you'll find some good bargains.

The old SL you will definitely find under 200k. The 335i is kinda new, so might be a bit harder, but I would not give up.

There are some other good choices like the Audi A4 Cabriolet, the Merc CLK and the Porsche Boxster S that you will find within your price range, new or almost new.
Come and discuss at the most lively forums about Cars, Bikes, 4x4s...at http://www.autodealer.ae at the Autodealer UAE Forums.
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

My Ride: VW Touareg V8 2005
My Profession: Car Enthusiast
My Dream Ride: This month: Nissan GT-R

Postby VRV1979 on Mon May 18, 2009 11:52 am

guys, dont kill the messenger..I'm asking here:

arent the GCC spec cars supposed to have a different radiator than the u.s import ones? I've also been informed that other minor changes are done to the car including paint so it will hold against uae's humidity. can someone support or deny these statements with facts?

I'm specifically talking about american cars here.

and just before u think this is off topic, my two cents for the thread starter is that you got a great budget and it all boils down to what u want. THIS is MY opinion on the matter :)

balance between power, exceptional interior, and head-turning beauty..go for the SL500.
power and head-turning beauty over exceptional interior..go for the stunning corvette c6.
exceptional interior over head-turning beauty and power..go for audi S5

bmws? well if its not an M6, i wouldnt bother
personally I've always prefered looks and power, and thats why i'm in bed everynight with my corvette c6. if i could afford a more expensive one, it wont be anything else than an aston martin vantage!

good luck
ITS NOT EASY BUT IT WILL BE DONE
VRV1979
Cruiser
Cruiser

My Ride: Yellow Vette C6
My Profession: AV Guy
My Dream Ride: Gallardo LP 560

Postby root on Mon May 18, 2009 1:56 pm

I have heard the radiator thing as well, and know of a person who had his Mustangs radiator changed as it could not take the heat.

But, then the southern US states get pretty warm as well in summers, so it should not really be such a big difference. And many of the cars these days are identical to the US models.

Paint..have not heard of it. I thought a lot of places around the globe had high humidity.
Come and discuss at the most lively forums about Cars, Bikes, 4x4s...at http://www.autodealer.ae at the Autodealer UAE Forums.
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

My Ride: VW Touareg V8 2005
My Profession: Car Enthusiast
My Dream Ride: This month: Nissan GT-R

Postby T.N.T on Mon May 18, 2009 7:37 pm

Paint is never changed, AFAIK.
T.N.T
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Postby Brembo on Tue May 19, 2009 11:00 am

on most newer cars paint, radiator etc are all the exact same US or UAE.
temperatures in Arizona match Dubai summer temps!
Brembo
Street Racer
Street Racer

My Ride: riced up honda civic
My Profession: delivery boy
My Dream Ride: toyota corolla white

Return to Car Buying Advice