2008 Mondeo

Discuss which cars to get, where to get them from, tricks and traps to avoid, insurance... Also, great place for First time Car Buyers in UAE!

Moderator: azi malik

2008 Mondeo

Postby oscarlimatango on Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:04 am

Hey people, Noob here!

So i as looking for a car, I am one of those that really wants everything but dont have enough dough to buy it, so i went looking for a midsize. Now there is the Accord, Camry, Altima, Mazda 6.....and I have looked at each and every one of them...and then out of no where i decided to go to a ford showroom and I was stunned when i saw the gorgeous new Ford Mondeo.

So for all the haters that think resale value is the only valid criteria to buy a car, and ford is a peice of s**t, please convince me why should I not buy the fully loaded mondoe for the same price as an entry level Accord, Altima, Camry or a Mazda 6? Now couple of things to keep in mind about my preferances:

Long term commitment to buy and keep the car for atleast 6 years.

Dont want a car that would be outdated in 3 years, and dont have AED110,000 to shell on the fully loaded jepanese modles.

I like all the gizmos in a car.

I dont drive alot....no long trips.

I dont want a car that evey tom xxxx and harry has.

With that said, any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks and hope to hear some sound, conclusive arguments without prejudice towards american mods.
oscarlimatango
Cruiser
Cruiser

My Ride: something really slick!
My Profession: Aviation
My Dream Ride: Nissan Evolution!

Re: 2008 Mondeo

Postby root on Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:47 pm

Great first post!
Go for the Mondeo, is what I would say.

The only negatives you already know, but if you plan to keep for 6 years you are fine.
Plus, the 5 year warranty that Ford gives these days really gives peace of mind. You will know what your costs will be for for oil changes + tires every 50k kms.

Only long-shot is if Ford goes bankrupt. I see Chrysler and GM going bankrupt before Ford. Even if it does, the European companies will survive and the Mondeo comes from the European collection.

How much is the fully loaded Mondeo? Which engine size?
Come and discuss at the most lively forums about Cars, Bikes, 4x4s...at http://www.autodealer.ae at the Autodealer UAE Forums.
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

My Ride: VW Touareg V8 2005
My Profession: Car Enthusiast
My Dream Ride: This month: Nissan GT-R

Postby oscarlimatango on Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:00 pm

Thanks for the compliment.

It is fully loaded for AED95,000. The Mondeo Titanium X. Comes fully equipped with the goodies (dont have the nav), and 18inch spok wheels. The dealership told me that the will knock off a substantial amount if I was genuinely interested in it ( I am hoping they will go down to atleast 85,000). It is a 2.3 lt DOHC engine, 160 HP. Been doing alot of research and all the reviews tell me that it is a good car....they also associate it alot with the BMW 3 series and the Volvo.

I dont think ford will every go bankrupt, they were the only motor company that denied gov aid in the u.s.

P.S: Ford does not offer a 5 year warranty any more, atleast not in Middle East.
oscarlimatango
Cruiser
Cruiser

Postby root on Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:14 pm

Well, in price range and engine size, we are still at the same as the Altima and Accord, as their 2.5 liter ones are all under 100k.

Try to negotiate a longer warranty if that's possible.

The Mondeo is a very successful car in Europe, but one reason for it not being that popular here could be the heat factor. I know that the Ford SUVs had issues with their rubbers melting in summer, etc.
Come and discuss at the most lively forums about Cars, Bikes, 4x4s...at http://www.autodealer.ae at the Autodealer UAE Forums.
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby T.N.T on Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:30 pm

Get a full options 4 cylinder Accord/Altima/Mazda 6 and you'll be looking at a very similar price range. Even less I guess in the Altima's case if I'm not wrong.
Give respect, get respect.
T.N.T
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Postby oscarlimatango on Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:19 pm

i think i have decided to skip on the mondeo, the dealership looked too desperate to sell me, and i think i kinda am turned off by the looks of it now!

so camry glx basic is - 88500
altima second 2lt is - 79,000
and honda basic is - 88,000

any other in mind?
oscarlimatango
Cruiser
Cruiser

Postby T.N.T on Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:10 pm

What's the price of the top range 4 cyl Accord?
T.N.T
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Postby oscarlimatango on Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:50 am

top range v6 full specs with leather is 114,000.000
oscarlimatango
Cruiser
Cruiser

Postby root on Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:10 am

The Accord V6 is a beauty and a great drive! You will not regret it.

The Mondeo looks are not that great, I must agree with you. The earlier generation had a better look. This one looks like a fatter fiesta from the looks.
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby T.N.T on Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:42 pm

I said what is the price of the top range I4
T.N.T
F1 Champion