Used Ford Mondeo & Honda Civic

Discuss which cars to get, where to get them from, tricks and traps to avoid, insurance... Also, great place for First time Car Buyers in UAE!

Moderator: azi malik

Used Ford Mondeo & Honda Civic

Postby aydisha on Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:40 pm

I am not in Dubai but will be visiting by end of month and would not mind to buy a budget car for myself.
Who can advice realistic price of Ford Mondeo 2003-2005 or Honda Civic 2002-2003 in excellent condition with mileage less than 100 000km, automatic transmission and accident free.

I am reviewing ads but prices differ and just would like to know what they are worth at the moment in Dubai or Sharjah. Where it is better to buy, should I trust private advertisements and how /where to check that car is not stolen one.

Thanks for all who reply
aydisha
Cruiser
Cruiser

Re: Used Ford Mondeo & Honda Civic

Postby root on Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:36 pm

Ok..first of all, to get a price range you can search on this site. There will be a variance, but you will know the range. Normally the lower of the range is closer to the real price. Use the 'Advanced Search' as it allows you to set the mileage, etc.

Private adverts are always cheaper than the dealers. The dealers need to make their money on top.

The cars here need to be transferred at the Traffic police or their registration offices, and the original owner has to be present. There are close to 0% chance that you will be sold a stolen car here.

Now, you can get stolen cars that are imported from abroad. Even there the customs and traffic police are very strict lately and do not let foreign imports in with the right papers. But still there are those that slip the system somehow.

So, to be safe only buy a car that is already registered in UAE.
Come and discuss at the most lively forums about Cars, Bikes, 4x4s...at http://www.autodealer.ae at the Autodealer UAE Forums.
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

My Ride: VW Touareg V8 2005
My Profession: Car Enthusiast
My Dream Ride: This month: Nissan GT-R

Postby aydisha on Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:15 pm

Thanks for an advice, people here in Azerbaijan mainly buy cars in Dubai that has just arrived to port and not driven in Dubai stating that cars driven in Dubai not treated and serviced as should be, but in my opinion old used car is like lottery - can be good car and other side - you may spend a lot to repair it.

I read that before making a purchase it is advicable to go to Eppco (I think) and make some check up there.

I also think to visit goldenbellauctions in AL-Alwir and try to buy there. Any idea is it worth to do that?

Many thanks for an attention
aydisha
Cruiser
Cruiser

Postby root on Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:12 pm

Ok. So you are looking for cars to export back to Azerbaijan.

Well, there are 2 types of export market here. The local-export (cars driven and registered in UAE) and the re-export (cars mainly coming from USA or Japan these days).

On the re-export, you are right that there might be issues. In that case it is good to go to a garage in UAE and get it thoroughly checked up. You are right that Tasjeel (the car registration place at some Eppco pumps) can do full car check-up for you for 250-300 DHM. You need to any which way take your car there before you can transfer it as they check the VIN/Chassi number of the car before doing the transfer (so that people don't just transfer another car and give you another one).

Auctions...never been there personally. Hear from people that its a bit of good luck. You don't have the ability to really do a proper checkup of the car before the auction, so you might get a lemon or a great deal - your luck.
Come and discuss at the most lively forums about Cars, Bikes, 4x4s...at http://www.autodealer.ae at the Autodealer UAE Forums.
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby aydisha on Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:38 pm

Are re-export cars really expensive comparing to ones driven already in UAE?
I think questions asked by me might be interested to a lot of public.

Is Ford MOndeo mainly from UK or Europe, asking because UK cars have to be converted from RHD to LHD and I do not like that
aydisha
Cruiser
Cruiser

Postby root on Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:45 am

No, the re-export cars are normally cheaper. A lot of cars are now coming from USA even for local and GCC usage as cars are much cheaper in USA these days.

Converted RHD to LHD cannot be registered locally in UAE.

Those cars that come from UK or Japan and are RHD, are almost 100% for re-export to other countries with RHD.

What does Azerbaijan have? RHD or LHD?

Also, you won't find too many Ford Mondeos in Dubai. Not very popular here.
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby aydisha on Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:53 pm

We have LHD here. Thanks for letting me know that converted cars cannot be registered in UAE - I did not know that, I saw several people buying converted cars, but looks like that were re-export from Japan.

Ford Mondeo is not popular here as well and therefore its price lower than others and my budget USD 4000-4500 + around USD 1200 shipping to Baku + around USD 3500 for customs clearance. Approx. USD 9000 in total I am planning to spend and reviewing ads I see Ford Mondeo 2003-2004 at that price range, and 2005 I saw for 23000 DHS which I think is not bad.
aydisha
Cruiser
Cruiser

Postby root on Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:01 pm

How does one ship cars to Baku?
Is it to Iran and then by road? or via Turkey/Black-Sea? (seems like a long route).
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby aydisha on Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:09 pm

Yes, through Iran to Astara-Baku. Only to Astara cost I think is USD 700 and to Baku straight USD 1200. Most people ship to Astara (Azerbaijan border) and then drive 400 km themselves.
aydisha
Cruiser
Cruiser

Return to Car Buying Advice