Advice on new car & handling dealership

Discuss which cars to get, where to get them from, tricks and traps to avoid, insurance... Also, great place for First time Car Buyers in UAE!

Moderator: azi malik

Advice on new car & handling dealership

Postby msmiz on Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:30 pm

Hi everyone newbie (female) to the forum and looking for guidance. (Maryland/DC area)
I am buying a car for the first time from a dealer. I have someone with & lots of car knowledge who will go with me when it comes to talking "the $$ deal" for the actual purchase, but I have to first go alone and look at the car, test drive and see if they have what I want. I have decided on a new (I do not want used) 2008 Lexus ES350, Premium Package with Nav. & I know what color choices I am interested in. I am not sure what steps to take to start all this from A-Z.

Someone said I should first approach the dealers on the internet rather than just show up even though I do not plan to purchase that very day and not let them be pushy with me. I am looking at buying between now and the first week or two of December. I am not sure what I should even be saying to them via internet. I also plan to pay outright for the car and do not want financing from them. So I also need to not allow them to run a credit check on me which I heard they do if you test drive?

I know the dealers are hurting now and I may fare well with the price but may be pushy. Not sure what deals people are getting in my area right now for what I want. Any advice on that would also be appreciated.

So can someone please give me "step-by step" details what I need to do and how to handle this. I
want to start out right on this process.
Thanks in advance so much.
msmiz
Rookie
Rookie

My Profession: Administration
My Dream Ride: jag

Re: Advice on new car & handling dealership

Postby kapil on Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:22 am

Hi newbie, congratulations on your decision. the car is a good choice.

get a quote from the internet telling them about planned purchase date. go and test drive. ask for a quote on teh spot without refering to the privious one. push for a lower pricing on the one which is lower. If they cannot bing the price down ask for things in kind like rust proofing, teflon coat, engine coat, tint film etc....

not sure about the deals people are getting, but you push for your deal!

all the best and post some pics once you get it!!
kapil
Drift King
Drift King

My Ride: Wrangler YJ - 95
My Profession: ****
My Dream Ride: Sukohi Su 30-mki

Postby msmiz on Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:23 am

Thank you kapil for your advice.
Should I mention ahead of time I plan to ay putright and do not want financing?
msmiz
Rookie
Rookie

Postby kapil on Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:05 pm

u r welcom.

Act like swiss!! don't say anything and just let them give you a quote and then mention about the full payment. Usually they get a kick-back from teh finance company so they offer more discounts or freebies to such buyers. But stillpush for your terms.
kapil
Drift King
Drift King

Postby msmiz on Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:36 am

I have done everything and now there is just a few dollars difference btw the dealers. I know which dealer I plan to use but the higher priced dealer has added a feature to their package that I did not ask for nor do I need. What can I ask for from the other dealer I DO want to go to to throw to "match" this additional deature for me to use a an incentive for me to choose him? What type of things would someone say "well can you add this to teh deal & I will sign with you?"
msmiz
Rookie
Rookie

Postby kapil on Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:08 am

of course you can say that!
kapil
Drift King
Drift King

Postby msmiz on Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:32 pm

Ok thanks... some other questions...appreciate the help.

This is 2009 car purchase.
What are some of the things I could say to "add" to close the deal?

What are the things I should look for and make sure of the details when I go in to actually sign the deal. What do I make sure of re the paperwork and the car itself. (i have a written quote from the dealer broken down as to what is what re charges).

My insurance company is offering me "maintenance breakdown" at $91.60 a year. They said this is cheaper than the car dealershop extended warranty. Should I therefore take that and not the dealer's...is there some things I may need under the dealer's extended warranty ans only offered by a dealer?

How much time do I have to decide on the extended warranty from the dealer?

What things may they try to get me to add on that I should not accept from them i(e other products, services, items? maybe rust proofing or undercoating maybe
anything else?

How can I find out thr "shipping weight " of the car? This will tell me what my Motor vehicle charge will be along with Tax . Can't seem to find it on-line

Asking all these because i plan to close the deal today
Thanks
msmiz
Rookie
Rookie

Postby kapil on Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:21 am

yous is a primium pakage with nav... just ask for what ever you feel like. They will for sure give you a rust-proofing and a teflon coat. also u can ask for an engine coat/ Not sure what else they can offer.... check from what ever they can offer and ask for whatever you like ;-)

ask them for the weight etc, but try yahoo autos.. it should give you the weight.

ask for exclusions from the warranty and the maintenance breakdown and compare and decide. Usually one can wait till before the expiry of the standard warranty for getting an extended warranty.

all the best..
kapil
Drift King
Drift King

Postby msmiz on Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:33 am

Kapil
just to let you know it all went very well. The salesman said "you are a very informed and confident customer and I know you are covering every detail". I said yes you are right I am covering everything with a fine tooth comb when it comes to spending my money". He was very pleasant to deal with. The whole experience was very congenial with the dealership and I got exactly what I wanted at a great price and am very happy. Thanks so much for all your help and guidance. I will post a picture this week. I love my car!
msmiz
Rookie
Rookie

Postby kapil on Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:24 pm

You are welcome..

Looking forward see the pics and hope to get a ride if and when i visit Maryland/DC area!!

drive safe ;-)
kapil
Drift King
Drift King

Return to Car Buying Advice