Used Car Buy - Help Needed!

Discuss which cars to get, where to get them from, tricks and traps to avoid, insurance... Also, great place for First time Car Buyers in UAE!

Moderator: azi malik

Used Car Buy - Help Needed!

Postby gbelthur on Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:30 pm

Hello,

I have a corporate lease on a '07 Civic. Got on 1st January 2007 & it has only 18, 300 Km's on it till date, as I walk to work!! (yes, thanks, Lucky me! :D) My contract on this runs out on 31 Dec 2008. Therefore, I have essentially 3 options:

1. Renew lease (min engagement 1 year) on '07 Civic.
2. Buy the civic outright.... (doesnt seem attractive to me to own a Jap car)
3. Look at a used car.

I am off to start with option number #3. I love German cars... hence my only options are VW, BMW & Audi.

My budget is 65K-75K AED (stretchable to 85K +/- 5% ONLY for a BMW).

I saw a couple Audi A4 2.0L 2006 with approx. 30K-50K Km's for the 65K-75K AED range.
I saw a few BMW 320i 2006/7 with approx. 23K-65K Km's for the 79K-98K AED range.

I would like to know your "expert" suggestion on what car you recommend I go for.

Furthermore, how much is a BMW 320i, 2006, 25K Km's, no accidents worth in the UAE market?? (seller claims 92K!!!) which IMHO seems a bit much... but I am neither an expert on the BMW's nor the UAE used car market!

I want to stay away from the Altima 3.5SE V6, Accord V6 or any other Japper car. I like the bit of zip & road handling on a German ride....

Look forward to your replies... thanks!
gbelthur

My Ride: I don't have *MY OWN * ride yet.... doing the corporate lease bit!
My Profession: Sales & Marketing
My Dream Ride: BMW M5

Re: Used Car Buy - Help Needed!

Postby root on Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:13 am

You'll get good bargains on second hand Audis and also VWs as they depreciate faster than BMWs and Mercs but still are great cars.

The larger ones like A6, A8, 7-series drop higher in price range than the smaller ones. The 3 and 5 series BMWs are quite popular and harder to find a good deal there. Having said that, a car you get cheap now will also sell cheap when you sell it..unless you plan to keep it for a few years.

For pricing, search this website. There is no better source of second hand car pricing than here given the size of the cars database.

You don't want japanese, but you can also find good deals on Jaguars, Peugeots and Volvos in this market.
Come and discuss at the most lively forums about Cars, Bikes, 4x4s...at http://www.autodealer.ae at the Autodealer UAE Forums.
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

My Ride: VW Touareg V8 2005
My Profession: Car Enthusiast
My Dream Ride: This month: Nissan GT-R

Postby gbelthur on Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:42 am

Root,

thanks for a quick reply! Much appreciated!

However, there seems to be a very high variance on BMW's - and i am told its because some of them are American imports & therefore NOT GCC specs!

how much is a BMW 320i, 2006, 25K Km's, no accidents worth in the UAE market?? (seller claims 92K!!!) which IMHO seems a bit much.

In your opinion what do you recommend? an Audi 2006 for approx. 65K-75K AED or 2006 320i for 80K-90K AED?? and please do let me know WHY?!

thanks,
-gb.
gbelthur

My Ride: I don't have *MY OWN * ride yet.... doing the corporate lease bit!
My Profession: Sales & Marketing
My Dream Ride: BMW M5

Postby root on Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:26 am

If I could afford, I would go with the BMW as I love the 3-series.
The difference in price of 10-15k is something you will get back when you sell the car - unless you keep for many years and the value is depreciated totally.

New 320i is around 150k if I recollect correctly. So with a 20% depreciation per year then it seems fair for around 90k. Is it a private seller or a dealer?
You'll get a better deal with private sellers, as dealers would want to make atleast 10k on top.
Come and discuss at the most lively forums about Cars, Bikes, 4x4s...at http://www.autodealer.ae at the Autodealer UAE Forums.
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby navadv on Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:16 pm

You could surely pick up a VW Golf, Jetta or Passat that is very new, in your price range. They tend to depreciate quite quickly so 07-08 models with low mileage shouldn't be hard to find.

How about a Golf GTi? Quick and sporty :)
navadv
Drift King
Drift King

Tips on buying used car

Postby andrew123 on Tue May 19, 2009 11:43 am

Buying can be tricky and sometimes scary, and you should be leery, because used cars can be problematic, why else would people be wanting to get rid of it? Talk to your mechanic and set up a time for them to check it out BEFORE you buy or sign anything. If your current mechanic does not have a "used car check out" procedure you might want to print out ours from the link above and take with you to the shop.

My Ride: mercedez benz
My Profession: n/a
My Dream Ride: mercedez benz

Postby Brembo on Wed May 20, 2009 1:25 pm

why would you want a 2.0 audi or a bmw 320i? those are severely underpowered cars. you will not get the 'zip' your looking for and will be outrun by many many japanese car drivers.

but out of the 2 id recommend the bmw as its atleast RWD (a very weak one though).
bargain more with the seller, be patient most important once they realize they cannot sell the car after a few weeks the price goes down.
Brembo
Street Racer
Street Racer

My Ride: riced up honda civic
My Profession: delivery boy
My Dream Ride: toyota corolla white

Postby root on Thu May 21, 2009 2:48 pm

Hey, an Audi A4 1.8 is 160 bhp and 250 Nm.
http://www.autodealer.ae/plugins/ad/new ... .php?id=10

and the Honda Accord 2.4 is 178 bhp and 222 Nm.
http://www.autodealer.ae/plugins/ad/new ... .php?id=88

pretty much the same although engine sizes vary!
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Brembo on Fri May 22, 2009 12:27 pm

well teh 1.8T audi with a remap would kick some serious backside :D
Brembo
Street Racer
Street Racer