Buy a car for export

Discuss which cars to get, where to get them from, tricks and traps to avoid, insurance... Also, great place for First time Car Buyers in UAE!

Moderator: azi malik

Buy a car for export

Postby timd427 on Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:46 am

I am looking to buy a 4x4 vehicle to export via air cargo to Ethiopia. Does anyone know if this is a complicated process or fairly simple? I would like to purchase the vehicle without having to come to UAE, which means I would be asking the seller to handle the procedure for me and deliver it to the airport. Does this seem feasible? If anyone has any experience doing this or has a late 90s early 2000s 4x4 for sale please contact me at timothytdelaney@gmail.com.
timd427

My Ride: '57 VW Beetle
My Profession: Communications
My Dream Ride: '67 Mustang

Re: Buy a car for export

Postby root on Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:13 pm

Probably worth coming to Dubai and get it done!

No one will send you a vehicle without getting full payment, and you don't want to make full payment without seeing what you are getting.

To skip the possible surprises, its probably worth spending AED 2,000 on the ticket.

Once, you buy it, it is fairly painless to export it. Many dealers will help you with that and put it on a ship.
Come and discuss at the most lively forums about Cars, Bikes, 4x4s...at http://www.autodealer.ae at the Autodealer UAE Forums.
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

My Ride: VW Touareg V8 2005
My Profession: Car Enthusiast
My Dream Ride: This month: Nissan GT-R

Postby timd427 on Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:09 pm

Thanks for the response.

I also heard about a new law in the UAE which affects older vehicles...I would think that owners would be happy to have the chance to export vehicles about 10 years old. Is this the case?
timd427

My Ride: '57 VW Beetle
My Profession: Communications
My Dream Ride: '67 Mustang

Postby root on Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:27 pm

Yes! That is true. I don't know if that will effect the market that much, as the used car trade is much larger here and all second hand cars for export do not originate from UAE - many come from other countries and transit through Dubai.

It will however give you more bargains on 10+ year old ones. The rule will make it hard to sell a 10+ year old car locally but one can still keep the car for another 5 year.

Is it LHD or RHD in Ethiopia?
Come and discuss at the most lively forums about Cars, Bikes, 4x4s...at http://www.autodealer.ae at the Autodealer UAE Forums.
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

My Ride: VW Touareg V8 2005
My Profession: Car Enthusiast
My Dream Ride: This month: Nissan GT-R

Return to Car Buying Advice