Saab or Volvo or Peugoet?

Discuss which cars to get, where to get them from, tricks and traps to avoid, insurance... Also, great place for First time Car Buyers in UAE!

Moderator: azi malik

Saab or Volvo or Peugoet?

Postby Jawad on Sat Aug 20, 2005 4:44 pm

Hi,
I have seen that 2nd hand Saab, Volvos and Peugeots drop a lot in value and you can get a pretty nice car for very little.
Any ideas if these european cars are good buys here in Dubai? Do they give any trouble and how is the service for these cars here?

thanks Jawad
Jawad

Postby Fawaz on Wed Aug 31, 2005 1:57 am

I recommend Peugeot! Good car, good french quality. I have had 2 and i like it very much.
Fawaz

Postby PRIYAM on Sun Sep 17, 2006 11:09 pm

WELL IF U ASK ME ..... NOTHING LIKE A VOLVO WE VE HAD AN S90 FOR A FEW YEARS ....SAFEST CAR IN THE WORLD .....WHT ELSE DOES ONE WANT .

PEUGEOT WELL DUTN REALLY KNOW HOW GUD IT IS AS COMPARED TO VOLVO ....BUT OFCOURSE NO MATCH IN SAFTEY

SAAB ...U'LL HAV A LOT OF PROBLEMS SEELLIN IT ......ABSOLUTELY REDUNDANT .....ITS A RISK

WHY DONT U TRY VOLKSWAGEN ......JUST AMAZING GERMAN TECHNOLOGY .....U MIGHT WANT TO TRY IT OUT ???
PRIYAM
Ride Pimper
Ride Pimper

hows the resale of Volvo?

Postby root on Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:43 am

I thought Volvo lost a lot on resale. What are your opinions having owned one?

Also, how does it cope for the warm UAE weather? I know if works great at -20 celcius but not sure about +45 celcius.
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

My Ride: VW Touareg V8 2005
My Profession: Car Enthusiast
My Dream Ride: This month: Nissan GT-R

Postby PRIYAM on Mon Sep 18, 2006 12:54 pm

well we bought the S90 FOR 45K AND AFTER 2N HALF YRS USING IT WE GOT 26 FOR IT ......WELL I CONSIDER THT TO BE PRETTY OK FOR A SWEDISH CAR.......

THE OTHER ISSUE.....AIRCONDITION ....WE HAD TO REPLACE IT ENTIRELY ABOUT 1 MONTH AFTER THE PURCHASE OF THE CAR.....AS IT WAS 4 YR OLD ....ALTHOUGH WE HAD WARRANTY COVER FOR 6 MONTHS .....SO WASNT AN ISSE.....BUT THE NEW AC WAS JUST ABOUT FINE.....ALTHOUGH NOT AS EFFECTIVE AS JAPANESE COMPRESSORS BUT JUST ABOUT OK ...

THE GUD THING IN VOLVO IS THAT THE CAR HAS UV PROTECTION GLASS SO IT DOSENT GET AS HOT AS JAPANESE CARS WHEN KEPT IN THE OPEN SUN
PRIYAM
Ride Pimper
Ride Pimper

Postby T.N.T on Mon Sep 18, 2006 3:24 pm

Whatever it is, Volvo's Saab's and Peugeot's are VERY boring cars, don't you think? :wink: People will look at you in horror if you're not over 70 and driving a Saab! :P Just kiddin'. Anyone can get UV protection, just go to your nearest V-Cool, 3M or Ziebart tint center.
And people, this thread is MORE than an year old (Just check out the date of Jawad's post and you will know) so why:

"WHY DONT U TRY VOLKSWAGEN ......JUST AMAZING GERMAN TECHNOLOGY .....U MIGHT WANT TO TRY IT OUT ???"

By the way, you left your Caps Lock on, dude.
Give respect, get respect.
T.N.T
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

i thought saab was cool

Postby root on Mon Sep 18, 2006 4:09 pm

I almost bought a Saab Cabriolet last year! No one warned me that it was a 70+ year old car ;)
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby T.N.T on Tue Sep 19, 2006 3:09 pm

:shock: Saab Cabriolet? Hmmm. BTW, which one was it?
I don't like Saab personally but some of my friends tell me that they are great long-term cars. But still, I think they are too boring. The NEW Saab Cabriolet (9-3) looks stunning, anyways, not good enough. :P

T.N.T
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

9-3

Postby root on Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:57 am

it was actually the 9-3 but I like the 9-5 as well.

Saabs are great cars...the same company also makes air jets and planes so you know what type of engineering goes in it. Unfortunately, they are not always on top on quality.

I've got a nostalgic feeling for Saabs as thats the car I learnt how to drive on. Also these cars (the good year models) last forever.
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby T.N.T on Wed Sep 20, 2006 3:03 pm

I came to know recently that they make jets. Because of their new motto 'Born from jets', used widely in their online ad campaign.
T.N.T
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

well, the beauty is the 2.8L Aero

Postby root on Wed Sep 20, 2006 4:25 pm

The one I almost got was just a vanilla 9-3, but the nice one is the 2.8L Aero.
That is a V6 with 250 bhp and one of the best turbo-charged engines around.
The engine is controlled by a micro-processor and there is a lot of funky stuff that is all done by calibrating the engine.

Otherwise, now that Saab is part of GM, it has become part of some platform. I think same as Chevy Malibu. Thats kinda boring.
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby T.N.T on Wed Sep 20, 2006 5:22 pm

You're right about the GM thing. And know what, the 9-7 SUV is based on the Chevy Trailblazer!!
T.N.T
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

9-7 not appealing

Postby root on Wed Sep 20, 2006 6:38 pm

the 9-7 is really not appealing, and it does not seem to be that popular either. I am yet to see one of the streets over here.
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby WSF on Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:14 am

Saabs r my favorite; theyre tough, and durable. Its like driving a race car but on the road. Yet the problem in volvos and Saabs is that they have a terrible resale value..

Pegeouts..... i dnt recommend, u deserve better than a Pegueot; id prefer that u go 4 "OPEL" they have some great cars; especially the new astra...
HYUNDAI'S 1st unofficial community for the UAE..
WSF
Street Racer
Street Racer

Postby T.N.T on Thu Nov 09, 2006 4:03 pm

Resale value is very important as most of us are expats and don't like losing their hard-earned money.
T.N.T
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Next

Return to Car Buying Advice